Comments

• Slightly off track 
      In 1985 I sold My Commodore C16 colour computer to a couple. Worked with
      they said ooh will it show up in colour on our black & white tele  lol 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    “I’m a pro musician” in my experience means the following:

Plays at the weekends in a covers band.
    Has no clue about how his equipment works.
    Has read/watched stuff on the internet so “knows it all”.
    Plays too loud to compensate for his sound that is too similar to other instruments in the band.
    Spends a fortune tone chasing.
    Still sounds bad.
    Watches other musos/bands and is highly critical of every mistake.
    Will not be told when they are wrong.
    Tells everyone they are a ‘pro’.
    Should be avoided at all costs.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    impmann said:
    “I’m a pro musician” in my experience means the following:

Plays at the weekends in a covers band.
    Has no clue about how his equipment works.
    Has read/watched stuff on the internet so “knows it all”.
    Plays too loud to compensate for his sound that is too similar to other instruments in the band.
    Spends a fortune tone chasing.
    Still sounds bad.
    Watches other musos/bands and is highly critical of every mistake.
    Will not be told when they are wrong.
    Tells everyone they are a ‘pro’.
    Should be avoided at all costs.
    Fuck. IS THIS ME? 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited October 2023
    The thing that stresses me out is when buyers frequently don’t confirm an expensive guitar has arrived safely. I get that from their perspective they’ve got what they wanted and are happy with it, but my stress levels are through the roof posting anything over £1k. 
    I dare say it is, but playing devil's advocate for a second, if you're the buyer, you might not want to say "It's great, it arrived safely, it's 100% perfect" too quickly when it's only just arrived in case you haven't inspected it properly and then you're held to your initial quick assessment if it later transpires that there actually is something wrong with it*. It cost the buyer over £1k too...

*I note that a lot of people on here on other threads, whenever someone sells something and complains about the buyer, usually consider that a change of heart from the buyer must absolutely definitely mean the buyer is up to something! It could do, but it could also be an honest mistake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    I guess with classified/private selling the spirit is if a buyer has second thoughts then they sell it on
  • prlgmnr said:
    I guess with classified/private selling the spirit is if a buyer has second thoughts then they sell it on
    Exactly. That mindset is disappearing though thanks to DSR. If it’s not faulty, not liking something bought used should be the buyers problem, not the sellers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_Mc said:
    The thing that stresses me out is when buyers frequently don’t confirm an expensive guitar has arrived safely. I get that from their perspective they’ve got what they wanted and are happy with it, but my stress levels are through the roof posting anything over £1k. 
    I dare say it is, but playing devil's advocate for a second, if you're the buyer, you might not want to say "It's great, it arrived safely, it's 100% perfect" too quickly when it's only just arrived in case you haven't inspected it properly and then you're held to your initial quick assessment if it later transpires that there actually is something wrong with it*. It cost the buyer over £1k too...

*I note that a lot of people on here on other threads, whenever someone sells something and complains about the buyer, usually consider that a change of heart from the buyer must absolutely definitely mean the buyer is up to something! It could do, but it could also be an honest mistake.
    Yeah I get that, it’s not so much that I want ‘it’s perfect I’ll never complain’ but more ‘it turned up in one piece’
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    To bring this on track, The item was checked before it left, Fo anyone who's had a package from me, it was packaged impeccably and would have needed running over to have damaged it. The buyer imo deliberately dislodged the valve and claimed faulty.

This costs me £10 to send it there and £3.50 for the ebay return fee. In the grander scheme of it, I've the amp back, there is no damage. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7749
    nero1701 said:
    .... For anyone who's had a package from me, it was packaged impeccably and would have needed running over to have damaged it.
    Tell me about it!  Your secure packaging took me half an hour to remove.  Never before have I seen such bomb-proofed protection  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    prlgmnr said:
    Exactly. That mindset is disappearing though thanks to DSR. If it’s not faulty, not liking something bought used should be the buyers problem, not the sellers.
    Isn't that the opposite of DSRs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah I get that, it’s not so much that I want ‘it’s perfect I’ll never complain’ but more ‘it turned up in one piece’
    Yep, that would be fine. A quick, "Just letting you know it's turned up- I haven't had much chance to inspect it but it's in one piece at least" would do well, I guess.

Again, though, playing devil's advocate ( =) ) that type of communication could also set off warning bells for the seller. They may think the buyer is setting the stage for a complaint later. I've seen at least one thread on here where both the buyer and seller were (completely justifiably) a little suspicious of the other's actions, when it's entirely possible both were acting in good faith but were just a little cautious. You just have to say the wrong thing to ring someone's warning bells... and then it's downhill from there.

(And the other problem is that the buyer may not mean "It's perfect, I'll never complain", but an unscrupulous seller may try to hold them to that regardless.)

I guess I'm just saying I totally sympathise (I'm so worried I never sell anything!) with your point as the seller, it's just that a buyer acting like that is also totally understandable from the buyer's view. There's quite a generous time limit to complain as a buyer and if you say too quickly that it's fine, you may regret it, kind of thing. 

I'm not sure what the answer is.
    nero1701 said:
    To bring this on track, The item was checked before it left, Fo anyone who's had a package from me, it was packaged impeccably and would have needed running over to have damaged it. The buyer imo deliberately dislodged the valve and claimed faulty.

This costs me £10 to send it there and £3.50 for the ebay return fee. In the grander scheme of it, I've the amp back, there is no damage. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.
    That sucks :(

Playing devil's advocate again (sorry)- I got an amp (new, from a retailer) years ago sent in the post. I was upstairs so my dad took delivery of it. I heard the bang of the delivery driver banging it down in our hall. He must have thrown it down from a height!

It unseated a valve. Once I refitted it (on the advice of the retailer), it worked perfectly. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    Dave_Mc said:
    nero1701 said:

Playing devil's advocate again (sorry)- I got an amp (new, from a retailer) years ago sent in the post. I was upstairs so my dad took delivery of it. I heard the bang of the delivery driver banging it down in our hall. He must have thrown it down from a height!

It unseated a valve. Once I refitted it (on the advice of the retailer), it worked perfectly. 
    I did try to say to the purchaser...Did you check the valve is seated?..

"I'm a pro musician  bla blah blah..."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    edited October 2023
    I'd rather set fire to something than sell it on eBay.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19400
    Philtre said:
    I'd rather set fire to something than sell it on eBay.
    OK if you are an arsonist.
    nero1701 said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    nero1701 said:

I did try to say to the purchaser...Did you check the valve is seated?..

"I'm a pro musician  bla blah blah..."
    hahahahahaha good point!

I might be taking the devil's advocate thing too far...
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 447
    Had something similar once selling an AC30. Drive halfway across the country to meet the guy and hand it over. The thing is in a flight case and we've done live testing over the phone to show it works before the trip. I get home and 2 days later he says "it doesn't work". 

It did when I handed it over to you says I.

Silence for a couple of days then, "Oh, it was a loose valve". 

Never heard from him again.

As said earlier, if someone changes their mind and says so straight up then fair enough. Faking faults is just rude.
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Slightly off track 
      In 1985 I sold My Commodore C16 colour computer to a couple. Worked with
      they said ooh will it show up in colour on our black & white tele  lol 

I remember back in the day playing with "artifacting" - drawing lines with the computer set to hi-res black & white to display colours by picking out the R/G/B dots on a colour telly.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    prlgmnr said:
    Perhaps there needs to be the reminder that DSR does not apply to private sales. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    bobacco said:
    nero1701 said:
    Small victory/update, 

Contacted E-bay customer service, 

They have refunded me my return costs and I've managed to report the buyer.

Doubtful much will happen..
    As they assess seller standings monthly, it might cancel out a potential strike against you (in the sense of having a ‘Not as described’ claim)? Either way, at least you got some cash back. 

In 20yrs on eBay, I’ve never had an issue buying or selling. Yet I remain super fucking anxious anytime I put anything on that’s of value. No personal experience, but people can be total pricks and not distinguish between private sellers and actual retailers. 

Edit: I’m not evangelising for eBay - quite the opposite!
    Yeah. As far as I'm aware he should receive a polite slap on the wrist from eBay outlining that he can't abuse their return policies. This may go against his seller standards. He might not be able to leave negative feedback against you either, though that's generally if it's gone to resolution centre and found in your favour. Either way, he sounds more like a doh musician than a pro one.