Grab and Go

What's Hot
CliveGCliveG Frets: 3
Hi all
This my first post so I’ll make it an original question…..
Recommendations for for a good home use amp that can also gig. I’d like at least 15 watts and a good spring reverb.
Currently I’m  leaning towards The Orange TremKing but open to suggestions and will happily purchase second hand for better quality.
Cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CliveGCliveG Frets: 3
    Sorry orange tremlord 
  • For the money, you can't beat a Vox AC15C1 if you like "British" voiced amps and want a real spring reverb. They're possibly a bit on the heavy side to be described as "grab and go", but the MV means that you can get decent tones at any volume, and they can hold their own with much more expensive amps when the valves are properly cooking. Personally, I wouldn't pay the considerable upcharge for the Celestion Alnico Blue "X" version, as to my ears the Greenback in the standard C1 is excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3332
    edited October 2023
    I’ve currently a tremlord and an AC30 (s1? Think that’s the code, it’s the single 1x12 creamback version). Both great amps and immensely practical in a ‘grab and go’ way. Though neither is particularly light! Tremlord is hard to beat for quality clean: reverb and trem sounds. However, I do think the spring reverb on it could be a little more expansive -it sounds lush but never quite reaches crazy. 

However, for home use that is also gig ready and literally ‘grab and go’, I’d always recommend the Fender Tonemaster deluxe reverb. It really is the future imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    Deluxe reverb Reissue or the princeton
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4771

Deluxe Reverb Reissue would be quite a bit lighter than the tremlord, definitely more grab and go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    For the money, you can't beat a Vox AC15C1 if you like "British" voiced amps and want a real spring reverb. They're possibly a bit on the heavy side to be described as "grab and go", but the MV means that you can get decent tones at any volume, and they can hold their own with much more expensive amps when the valves are properly cooking. Personally, I wouldn't pay the considerable upcharge for the Celestion Alnico Blue "X" version, as to my ears the Greenback in the standard C1 is excellent.
    +1 

Team Vox FTW :lol: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Great stuff. I had looked at the AC15, possibly too much as I heard quite a few negatives with the more recent models. Korg era gets lots of love but is it worth the extra dough?
    love the Vox sound 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8150
    I’ve currently a tremlord and an AC30 (s1? Think that’s the code, it’s the single 1x12 creamback version). Both great amps and immensely practical in a ‘grab and go’ way. Though neither is particularly light! Tremlord is hard to beat for quality clean: reverb and trem sounds. However, I do think the spring reverb on it could be a little more expansive -it sounds lush but never quite reaches crazy. 

However, for home use that is also gig ready and literally ‘grab and go’, I’d always recommend the Fender Tonemaster deluxe reverb. It really is the future imo. 
    What he said. Two awesome amps. 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    edited October 2023
    Quilter Aviator. US or UK Cub would be a good grab and go. 
  • CliveG said:
    Great stuff. I had looked at the AC15, possibly too much as I heard quite a few negatives with the more recent models. Korg era gets lots of love but is it worth the extra dough?
    love the Vox sound 
    In my experience the new ones are more reliable than the older ones. They’re pretty well built albeit to a budget. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4771

The AC15C1 is a well made reliable amp according to Psionic Audio.  There’s a deep look in the video below.
    Good quality PCB’s and no major reliability issues.  For amps built to a price (like most under £3k), it’s built very well.

https://youtu.be/6PzVxaJK4dI?si=QXjV4eynnJxENfNt
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    My view is that grab’n’go should weigh less than 20Kg which instantly knocks out quite a lot of stuff. If it needs to be gigable then really a 12” speaker is a must.

I’d be looking at…

Blues Junior
    Supro Delta King 12
    Tone King Imperial (but that’s a lot more spendy)

For solid state options I’d probably be looking at offerings from Quilter or Award-Session.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5113
    HAL9000 said:
    My view is that grab’n’go should weigh less than 20kg.
    Er… 44lb may be grab and go for some of you, but not me! My limit is about 35lb (16kg) these days, but then I am quite old and feeble.  :)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Something that sounds great and is really reliable? My answer will always be a Boss Katana 50 mk2 latest version that takes the boss foot switch.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1432
    Grab and Go to me means something like a 10kg Fender Pro Junior (but unfortunately it's a 10 inch speaker with no reverb).

I had an AC15 - nice Vox sound - it loved my Strat thru it - but I found it heavy at 22 kgs and the reverb tank broke a year in (maybe I was unlucky). I'm also not keen on hardwired speaker cables (which means at a gig if it the amp fails I can't quickly hook up a backup mini head to the speaker).

Personally if I was the OP I'd get something like a Laney Cub Super 12 (which meets all your criteria - and yes... if we're getting cork sniffer-ish - it's not a "real"reverb tank... but... good enough?). You can also run it at 1 Watt for home use.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    Just seen a Roswell BluesBaby on Gumtree just shy of a grand. Never heard of these amps but looks promising. No demos or anything online. Anyone got experience of them and is it a bit pricy?
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9829
    HAL9000 said:
    My view is that grab’n’go should weigh less than 20kg.
    Er… 44lb may be grab and go for some of you, but not me! My limit is about 35lb (16kg) these days, but then I am quite old and feeble.  :)
    You’re right. 20kg was based on a combo owned about five years ago. It was a bit of a struggle once stairs got involved but otherwise just about ok which is why I’d suggested less than 20kg. My current combos each weigh less than 16kg.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Fender Tonemaster Deluxe or Princeton Rever, or something from Cornell. They don't do hard rock or metal but they're brilliant for pretty much everything else
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1562
    I reckon you could gig with a Peavey Studio Pro. They’re lighter than Bandits and sound similar. They’re good bedroom buddies too. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• HAL9000 said:
    My view is that grab’n’go should weigh less than 20Kg which instantly knocks out quite a lot of stuff. If it needs to be gigable then really a 12” speaker is a must.

I’d be looking at…

Blues Junior
    Supro Delta King 12
    Tone King Imperial (but that’s a lot more spendy)

For solid state options I’d probably be looking at offerings from Quilter or Award-Session.
    Add the Laney Super Cub 12 to that list. Same size and oomph as a Blues Jr but with a better reverb, effects loop, adjustable boost and a 1w mode for home practice. Only weighs about 12kg too, so definitely hits the 'grab & go' criteria.