Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice on pedalboard amps please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @spev11 posted about the Quilter Superblock amp here:

Might be worth a look.

+1 on the Quilter - tiny, headphones out, XLR out, fully analogue, powerful EQ, has a limiter so you can get "bloom", maybe 90% of the way to valves.

It takes pedals well, although it does take them slightly differently to valves in that it more amplifies the pedal as opposed to pedal clipping begetting more clipping in the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    edited November 2023
    The guitarist in my band has just got a Laney Loudpedal. It’s outstanding - genuinely natural tone and enough volume to substitute directly for his LA30BL into a Marshall 2x12”, as a backup or where carrying the amp is a problem. (Parking at our rehearsal room has just become so - the cabinet stays there.) If anything it’s slightly clearer than the valve amp - but it takes his various dirt pedals really well, a couple are slightly different-sounding, but still perfectly usable. We haven’t tried it into anything else yet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• S56035S56035 Frets: 1257
    I have the Victory The Jack amp pedal. Works brilliantly for both headphones, direct to a studio monitor and a cab. It a great space saver at home.
  • I’ve got one of the little H&K Spirit of Vintage heads and it genuinely sounds outstanding and is LOUD. They do the Stompman pedal amp which is the sane but with a Presence control and an FX loop. I’d definitely recommend checking one out.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 418
    If your near Swansea your welcome to try it out my quilter, as is anyone else , I can take it to work one if day if it helps, just message me.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Thank you to all for your advice - and your offer to trial the Quilter, @spev11 . Unfortunately im in central Scotland, so Swansea would be a trek!
    Im going to head into GuitarGuitarEdinburgh on sunday and try out the Laney and Blackstar. If neither of those suit, i may well be in touch about the Bluguitar.

GAS never ends, does it?
  • funhousefunhouse Frets: 126
    I couldn't be happier with my Laney Loudpedal. Exceeded my expectations.
    I was thinking of adding a loudpedal for high gain stuff and using an ABY box to switch but the MT2 and the beam splitter are keeping me in line (although the Beam Splitter is calling for Stereo)

• Audio Kitchen The Big Trees? Very cool sounding 2.5 watt amp/pedal with plenty of gain and overdrive/crunch.
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 300
    edited November 2023
    Airmiles said:
    @spev11 posted about the Quilter Superblock amp here:

Might be worth a look.

+1 on the Quilter - tiny, headphones out, XLR out, fully analogue, powerful EQ, has a limiter so you can get "bloom", maybe 90% of the way to valves.

It takes pedals well, although it does take them slightly differently to valves in that it more amplifies the pedal as opposed to pedal clipping begetting more clipping in the amp.
    #MeToo.  I decided to drop my valve amp, because I preferred the Superblock in every way, and just wasn't using anything else. 

I'd suggest putting it on top of the speaker, though, rather than literally on your board.  To make it easier to tweak, to give a shorter speaker cable, and because it's not a stomp box and might not react well to being stomped on.  It's fairly rugged, but at the least you will move the settings too easily if you catch the knobs with your foot.  And the switches that operate power and amp type are small and won't take the weight of your size ten Doc Martens.

As I play mostly sitting down at home I built a pedalboard/holder to sit on top of the cab. I've also built a second small one that the pedals sit on to go on the floor and a shelf to hold the trio and quilter on the top. It is a solid thing but yeah the switches would not survive stomping
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Secret_SamSecret_Sam Frets: 300
    edited November 2023
    Great minds think alike.  That's how I use mine.

That reminds me - I need a green UK one as well.  Here comes Santa, ho ho ho.