Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice on pedalboard amps please

What's Hot
KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
edited October 2023 in Amps
Greetings folks,
Im toying with the notion of buying an amp-in-a-pedal box, and would like advice on what's available.
Im looking for something that i can, primarily, plug into a cab and put on my pedalboard for practice sessions. I do like my 2x10 combo, but it's a bit heavy carting around and im wanting something more easily portable.
Good basic tone is more important than a bazillion fx/amp models/cab IR's/connections etc.

Any advice gratefully received :)

Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7752
    May I draw sir’s attention to my Bluguitar AMP1 Mercury in the classifieds? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4177
    There's a new one Pete thorn demoed recently a Lion68 of something, sounded amazing.  Instant  brown sound and more.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4177
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1557
    Ok, I know nothing of tge Bluguitar device but my attention is piqued. That new UA Lion68 also looks very interesting, and sounds pretty good too.
    Daft question - that Lion 68 pedal, is it not an amp emulator, rather than something that will plug straight into a cab?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7752
    Kalimna said:
    Ok, I know nothing of tge Bluguitar device but my attention is piqued. That new UA Lion68 also looks very interesting, and sounds pretty good too.
    https://youtu.be/vMYWs7f7u7o?si=Vh-gdBxvm1gWz8EQ
    Red ones are better. 
  • The best 2 pedalboard amps I’ve used are the Bluguitar Amp1 Mercury edition and the Victory Sheriff V4. I would probably give the edge to the Bluguitar.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 331
    If you like Voxy tones the Victory The Copper I’m selling is a fun and useful little thing. 

What advice are you looking for other than “I like this one”? Do you have any specific questions? 
    Thats actually a very good question. I suppose the advice im looking for is which pedalboard amps have a good intrinsic tone and will take to pedals well.
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1544
    Buy my milkman!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 331
    edited October 2023
    Kalimna said:
    Thats actually a very good question. I suppose the advice im looking for is which pedalboard amps have a good intrinsic tone and will take to pedals well.
    Cool. So I can only speak to mine, so don’t take this as a pitch it’s just the only experience I have. 

The Victory is fantastic. It’s got a legit valve preamp feel because, well it’s got valves. I like this particular drive sound. The cleans are “chimey” (but no AC30), and crunch can clean up nice with your volume knob. When in Top Boost it can scream. No power tubes though, so while there’s some sort of “sag” mimicking circuit built in you’re not going to get that true “power tubes in distress” sound or feeling. But that’s the trade off and you can be looking at these things if that’s what you want. 

Otherwise, it’s a two channel single foot switch amp with dual master volumes. It takes pedals well, including my Beano boost range master and the boost side of my Dane. Reverb is usable but uninspiring though it’s got an effects loop. Headphone output leverages the IRs so you can adjust for a decent sound. 

You can’t beat the features though. Two Notes tech built in, and the ability to manipulate and load your own IRs. I don’t use it for this but you can go direct for recording or FOH. It’s reasonably pedalboard friendly. I use a D’Addario XPND and it fits great even with my surfybear. Uses any cab from 4-16 ohm. It’s super versatile. 

Pedalboard amps are great, and I’m fairly certain going to be a big part of the future of home amplification. I’m selling mine because I found a Magnatone Super 15 which also had direct and headphone out. I may still find a small Barefaced cab and keep the Victory and move on the Magnatone if I don’t sell by this week. It’s for sure good enough to keep as a single home or practice solution. 

Hope that helps. 
  • I used an AMP1 Silver for several years - the original model.  The Mercury is a worthy upgrade to the Silver with a few features added as a result of feedback from working guitarists. 

At "playing with a live drummer" volumes I thought it was great. I could get it to sit in the band mix without much trouble and it was loud enough to fill an average-sized pub just from the backline. I'm not a high gain player, so used Clean and Vintage most of the time. 

It's a real amp, not a modeller, and (apart from the reverb) is an analogue unit. Lots of "real world" features. Took pedals nicely. Had enough options on the overdrive channel that I didn't use pedals much for dirt when using it. 

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1705
    Kalimna said:
    Daft question - that Lion 68 pedal, is it not an amp emulator, rather than something that will plug straight into a cab?
    Daft question #2 - Presumably you need speaker cable trailing all the way from your board to your cab? Or is there something magical about pedalboard amps that mean you can use a normal cable?
  • DannyP said:
    Kalimna said:
    Daft question #2 - Presumably you need speaker cable trailing all the way from your board to your cab? Or is there something magical about pedalboard amps that mean you can use a normal cable?
    Nope, speaker cable required.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 916
    DannyP said:
    Kalimna said:
    Nope, speaker cable required.
    The Lion 68 is an amp modeller pedal isn`t it? It still needs a power amp, which is what the original question was about I think?

As well as the more upmarket suggestions above, I`ve carried a EHX Magnum 44 as a backup for years - it`s surprisingly ok into a cab with a few pedals in front for such a tiny cheap thing!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    Alternatively, go to the PA using an amp in a box pedal or a good preamp. Simplifier for sale here;

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/249726/fx-for-sale-amazing-pedals-that-will-make-your-guitar-tone-different-to-what-it-is-now#latest
  • nero1701 said:
    Buy my milkman!
    I will vouch for these being great, I use mine into a cab most of the time, even at very quiet home volumes. Super flexible, intuitive unit which takes pedals very well indeed. Built in reverb and end of chain boost. 

I'm sure some of the other recommendations are good too  :)
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    TimmyO said:
    Kalimna said:
    https://youtu.be/vMYWs7f7u7o?si=Vh-gdBxvm1gWz8EQ
    How much clean headroom does that have?

It seemed to get crunchy quite quickly on the clean channel?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited October 2023
    @spev11 posted about the Quilter Superblock amp here:

Might be worth a look.

• My mate has the Blackstar Amped 1…I love it, sounds fantastic despite no tubes at all. Loud as hell too.