Yosemite

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    If it was OS X Yorkshire, I'd have downloaded it in a heartbeat.  God aye, it'd be bloody good that would!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Downloaded it on Friday, I was on Snow Leopard. Apart from iPhoto not opening, and not being able to download the update from the App Store to make it work, everything seems pretty sweet. 

I also downloaded the Apogee update, so my Duet works too:

Go on then, I'll have a go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    No Drama here. seems to play well, but I dont own an Iphone or Ipad, so apart from the memory hunger, nicer icons, and Tuba not working, i'm not sure why I upgrded??   thank god they're not charging any more! :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    I looked at it, but not having an iPhone iPad etc I can't really see the point, Mavericks works faultlessley with PT10 and Logic X along with all ny Native Instruments plugins etc . So far all the findings have been that Yosemite uses more memory and being an old schlol PC user from years ago, shinier graphics usually mean slower screen updates/scrolling etc etc  . Unless I can see a massively compelling reason to upgrade I'll stick with Mavericks in the knowledge that my recording sessions will work and the dreaded spinning beachball can bugger off ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17689
    tFB Trader
    Just whacked it on my Mac (15" Retina MBP) and it looks to be running pretty nicely. 

I like the flat look so that's a win for me.

Unless you are actually running out then greater memory use isn't necessarily a bad thing as there is quite a bit of caching you can do in an OS which will make a machine run considerably better and unused RAM is wasted RAM. If you remember back to when Win 7 came out a lot of people were complaining that it used loads of RAM when in fact it was using it for Superfetch which speeds the machine up a load and gives it back if needed.

That said my machine has 16GB of RAM so it's not really an issue :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's faster than mountain lion on my wife's 4GB dual core iMac.
    Still a bit flacky on my Hackintosh as was mavericks.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I think it looks awful. Been using it for the last few weeks to test our stuff with - all of the Fxpansion products work fine on Yosemite.
  • What is it with new flat design? Are Apple trying to copy Microsoft?
    We have so much processing power available with modern CPUs and GPUs, I could imagine amazing
    truly 3D  UIs could be built.
    And the colour schemes are out of kindergarten.
    Or is it a case of going down to the lowest common denominator, i.e. mobile and ARM
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I installed it in my early 2008 MBP and it works fine.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I'm still on Mountain Lion...

I've not had time to install Mavericks in an external HD to test everything.. but now Native Instruments are saying not to take this one, I won't.. I've got Komplete 9 and a pile of NI extras..

BTW - do any of you guys [Mavericks and up] have a 32-bit AU running, like Sylenth?

play every note as if it were your first
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Hmm, my dual core MacBook pro from 2011 is running pretty slowly after the upgrade from Snow Leopard.

It seems you need 2GHz+ dual core with 8GB RAM just to do basic web browsing and OS functions.

I miss the days where you could do all this with 100Mz and 8MB RAM.
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Dropped it on my 2011 iMac yesterday, only had a brief play but seems solid enough.  
    Gagaryn said:
    I installed it in my early 2008 MBP and it works fine.
    That's good to hear - I'll probably do the same with mine once I've made some space on my overflowing hard drive!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Well so far Yosemite has bricked 2 macs at work, and has made my 2009 Macbook Pro virtually unusable.

Crock of shite.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2420
    mellowsun said:
    Well so far Yosemite has bricked 2 macs at work, and has made my 2009 Macbook Pro virtually unusable.

Crock of shite.
    Yoseshite then?  Seriously, though.  That is shit luck.  Hope you get them back to how they were.  

Honestly, I'm having no issues with Mavericks so I'm gonna stick with it for a while.