Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Later... With Jools Holland

What's Hot

Comments

• mo6020mo6020 Frets: 367
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    Later used to be essential viewing back in the 90s 
    Was it?  I must have been in hibernation or something.
    TBF I was in my teens so I may have my rose tinted glasses on... I remember it being decent, along with the White Room (which was better)...
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited October 2023
    Cat Power has a nice voice, she should do John Lewis ads. 
    This version of the song brought out the words, and showcased what a great lyricist Dylan is.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23004
    That's damning with faint praise... Bad timing on her part though, they probably recorded the John Lewis Christmas ad last July.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    Vintage65 said:
    This song version brought out the words, and showed what a great lyricist Dylan is.
    Philly_Q said:
    That's damning with faint praise... Bad timing on her part though, they probably recorded the John Lewis Christmas ad last July.
    I've seen her on there before, I think she has more to offer than what she did on this show. I am fairly oblivious to most lyrics, Dylan's career is basically lost on me I'm afraid.

mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    TBF I was in my teens so I may have my rose tinted glasses on... I remember it being decent, along with the White Room (which was better)...
    It notably almost had no metal on it which is why I suspect @Philly_Q wasn't all that interested. 

What slightly annoys me now is that they have been selective about what they allow to seep out onto YouTube so plenty of things that you can't find at all. I don't know if that's a BBC/Later thing or an artist thing, IIRC you can't find the Katy Perry performance for example. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 367
    It notably almost had no metal on it which is why I suspect @Philly_Q wasn't all that interested. 

What slightly annoys me now is that they have been selective about what they allow to seep out onto YouTube so plenty of things that you can't find at all. I don't know if that's a BBC/Later thing or an artist thing, IIRC you can't find the Katy Perry performance for example. 
    Ah yeh that'd make sense, there wasn't a lot of metal on there, sadly. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    Used to watch it on fast forward through all the guff years ago, but I'd rather nail gun my own balls to the workbench rather than watch it now.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    Philly_Q said:

Don't start with the bloddy JL Christmas ads - they even do adverts for the ad!
    I can safely say I've never knowingly watched one.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2023
    Jools should get bands like Picture Parlour and these guys on ... there are still 3 episodes left to do it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27638
    Skipped through the first 3 episodes earlier this week (hadn’t realised it was on either).

All a bit unforgettable, but put Allison Russell on my to-buy list.

https://youtu.be/EF6VjYqoBQQ?si=QtvuToYd4zua-e4p
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    edited October 2023
    All the bands/ artists I like should be on it, and all the ones I don’t like should not be on it.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2023
    All the bands/ artists I like should be on it, and all the ones I don’t like should not be on it.
    I posted two random acts who have recently opened for Noel Gallagher and Interpol (both Later... favourites).
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18876
    By George, I think he's got it!!  :)
    By George, I think he's got it!!  :)
    We're just trying to save Jools from extinction!  :)
    mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:

It doesn't have to be metal (he says, lying through his teeth...) but it would be nice to see and hear something a bit louder, a bit more aggressive.  And there's always that undercurrent of "is it cool?" (cool in the eyes of Jools and/or his production team that is, which is anything but cool in my eyes).

Obviously there'll never be any kind of old-school metal band on the show, it would simply not work, but you could maybe imagine Clutch, or Baroness, or even Mastodon on there... schedules permitting, and assuming they had any interest in doing it.  Anyway, I gather they had Skindred on, so I can't really complain about that week.
    edited October 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    It doesn't have to be metal (he says, lying through his teeth...) but it would be nice to see and hear something a bit louder, a bit more aggressive.  And there's always that undercurrent of "is it cool?" (cool in the eyes of Jools and/or his production team that is, which is anything but cool in my eyes).

Obviously there'll never be any kind of old-school metal band on the show, it would simply not work, but you could maybe imagine Clutch, or Baroness, or even Mastodon on there... schedules permitting, and assuming they had any interest in doing it.  Anyway, I gather they had Skindred on, so I can't really complain about that week.
    I did a straw poll of people I know and extended family under 40 before I posted, and nobody watches it, which is sad really as it was unmissable TV when I was growing up.
  • I'm not sure that's necessarily a Later problem as much as a "how music is consumed" problem. Do they watch any other music based TV or similar?

I kind of see it as being similar to how older people moan there's nothing on TV that they would want to watch, despite the schedules appearing to be full of quiz shows, detective programmes, and beige dramas which are aimed squarely at them. They've just got bored of TV in general but seem instead to enjoy claiming TV is aimed at "the young" when it definitely isn't (or at least they're doing a good job of hiding it). 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:

Mastodon have been on already.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:
    Philly_Q said:
    mo6020 said:

Oh and Metallica

edited October 2023
    Oh and Metallica
    Fair enough, maybe I should watch it more often then.  But there's so much I'm not interested in, I forget to look.
  • There were plans to axe it a few years back (according to press coverage at the time).  This provoked predictable objections about the Beeb not doing enough to support live music.  It got a reprieve, but it's pretty obvious the Beeb's heart isn't really in it.  They believe the glory days are long gone and nothing will bring them back.  I suspect it won't limp on for too much longer. 

Ironically I used to find Jools himself a pretty irritating presenter and wished they'd get someone better, but I suspect that only his "national treasure" status and pull with an older demographic has kept the show on the road this long.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”