Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Later... With Jools Holland

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 336
    edited November 2023
    Used this week's on iPlayer to help block Diwali fireworks noises for the dog. 

Nothing blew me away. Probably I liked the jazz track the most, can't even remember his name now. The interviews with Suggs (and I'm a bit of a fanboy) and Sawhney were pointless, I don't understand why we just can't have another track by one of the artists there to fill that time. I enjoyed the piece on film. 
    What did your canine friend think when Jools came on? Did it wag its tail wildly, or was it tucked firmly between their legs? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65 said:
    Used this week's on iPlayer to help block Diwali fireworks noises for the dog. 

Nothing blew me away. Probably I liked the jazz track the most, can't even remember his name now. The interviews with Suggs (and I'm a bit of a fanboy) and Sawhney were pointless, I don't understand why we just can't have another track by one of the artists there to fill that time. I enjoyed the piece on film. 
    What did your canine friend think when Jools came on? Did it wag its tail wildly, or was it tucked firmly between their legs? 
    He wasn’t keen on some kind of digital beat in the jazz number but otherwise largely slept through. 
    I seem to remember that Jools lives in an old railway station, feels like he’d keep Basset Hounds. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Have to say I really enjoyed last weeks' episode with Kingfish & Izo Fitzroy (With Marcus Bonfanti on guitar pedal noises)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2419
    Haven't watched Later for years, but I went to a Yamaha event for the re-launch of their Wardour St shop a few weeks back and Jools turned up to do a speech. I have to say he was excellent, came across as completely natural and delivered the perfect speech for the occasion. And played a bit of boogie-woogie piano, but not very much.
  • Jalapeno said:
    Have to say I really enjoyed last weeks' episode with Kingfish & Izo Fitzroy (With Marcus Bonfanti on guitar pedal noises)
    Totally passed me by that it was Marcus Bonfanti. I've got his solo album somewhere which I liked a lot and he always seems like a cool guy. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited November 2023

prowla said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Ironically I used to find Jools himself a pretty irritating presenter and wished they'd get someone better, but I suspect that only his "national treasure" status and pull with an older demographic has kept the show on the road this long.
    Wow, that's not at all how I see him.  But all opinions are valid.

I used to find him a bit annoying, but I watched some of his one-to-one post-lockdown but still socially distanced programmes and thought they were quite good.
    I do wish he wouldn't do the "featuring me playing silly trills on the piano" thing, though.
    I do think he’s a more interesting guy than he appears on his show. Anyone who’s curious might want to listen to him being interviewed on Private Passions (Radio 3s answer to Desert Island Discs, with the focus mainly on Classical music). It’s a couple of years old now but still available on iPlayer.

I was surprised by the depth of knowledge of classical music - not just somebody who occasionally dips in, he's a genuine buff.  He had a particular interest in historic recordings. And even beyond music he’s obviously a cultured man.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    Philly_Q said:
    The best music show in the 90s was whatever culture show had the Screaming Trees on (part of a Seattle thing? Can’t remember). 
    This one?  I've just watched it and it gave me the shivers.

Nope - that’s good but the one I remember is this one, 19 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/BOrd1jNyXwY?si=DWW5HzeUNO8q3tz5
    Pretty damning indictment of Later. This was Josh Homme's first appearance. They totally missed out his finest hour. 
  • No one I’m interested in this week and…ahh…quite enjoyed it. Corinne Bailey Rae doing nothing like you might expect her to do, it did that thing that Later almost never does of making me want to check out their latest album. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23007
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    The best music show in the 90s was whatever culture show had the Screaming Trees on (part of a Seattle thing? Can’t remember). 
    This one?  I've just watched it and it gave me the shivers.

Nope - that’s good but the one I remember is this one, 19 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/BOrd1jNyXwY?si=DWW5HzeUNO8q3tz5
    Pretty damning indictment of Later. This was Josh Homme's first appearance. They totally missed out his finest hour. 
    I've only just got round to watching that Late Show clip.  I remember seeing the whole thing at the time, a really good line-up!
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12392
    I hope he has Beverley Knight on this season.

Joking aside, this is still one of the best things I've seen on there, WILCO

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 375
    @jonnyburgo I saw Wilco at Latitude some years ago, followed by headliner Damien Rice. Both acts were mesmerising live.

I watched the most recent episode the other night and might series link it again after the wilderness years because I enjoyed the lack of Jools on piano and also no expected Ruby Turner.

That lad with the Afro can certainly sing, the Dublin girl who danced with her band went from not interested to quite interested pretty quickly as did Corinne Bailey Rae.