'New' Fender headstock design

What's Hot
Can't see it being requested by many CS customers…
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 6020
    Never mind the headstock, the overall look is pretty much a complete chunderscape.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    Big money saving idea. One neck shall rule them all....
  • I saw that on RJ’s channel. I quite like it although paying CS prices for that guitar, I’m out. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3531
    edited November 2023
    That’s basically what my Probett has, although on the Probett it’s done competently and doesn’t look like it was finished by Stevie Wonder.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    I like it, gives you both a strat and tele style in one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Suhr has done something similar as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Suhr has done something similar as well.
    Theirs I quite like in a natural finish. Think it looks better than the standard headstock.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    It's bloody horrible.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    That’s basically what my Probett has, although on the Probett it’s done competently and doesn’t look like it was finished by Stevie Wonder.

I don't suppose Probett could challenge it in any way since he's essentially doing a variation on Fender's shapes, but it's exactly the same idea.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4127
    Looks like they've marked up a strat headstock to convert it to a Tele headstock, but not gone through with it.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4127
    Nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room: they've replaced a strat neck pup with a Tele neck pup. The worst mod in history!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    edited November 2023
    I think the worst mod is that they could have moved the volume control, but didn't. A knurled knob there is going to be a right old hazard. Well, it would be for me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I like the guitar in the first post! The headstock a bit meh, but I could live with it I guess.

Lebarque said:
    Nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room: they've replaced a strat neck pup with a Tele neck pup. The worst mod in history!
    Yeah, I'd swap that out!
  • inewhaminewham Frets: 182
    It could be worse if only they hadn't painted the headstock with a spoon

Ian
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74502
    edited November 2023
    I actually like the headstock a lot. Or at least I would if they hadn't put the paint on with a bog brush spoon, as inewham said .

I could do without the braised maple neck, the two-part pickguard and the bad relic job though.

And it would look better with the competition stripe on the other side of the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The painting on the headstock is really messy - they've gone outside the lines (a basic rule we all remember from our colouring-in days) and it looks like there are blobs of paint here and there. Presumably the person who did this could have painted it well but have done it this way for the impression of a kind of 'faux incompetence', as if it's been done by an amateur because they were bored or whatever.

To me, this puts it in a different category from a 'relic', in that it's not trying to simulate age/wear but the intention of an imaginary owner to amateurishly mod their own guitar. I think by buying and owning this you would be placing yourself in a weird psychological position because you are presenting yourself not as the imagined incompetent modder of the guitar, but as someone who has an aspiration to be that, and has contracted a professional to render a kind of official version of that incompetence. At the same time, it's a premium product made by a professional and as such can never be what it is trying to ape. So what does it mean? 

Or, it's just a headstock on a guitar and we shouldn't overthink it, someone will probably like the look of it after all.

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1694
    A guitar headstock is one strange place to put a scratch & win. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    barnstorm said:
    Can't see it being requested by any CS customers…
    Fixed that for you 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15282
    edited November 2023
    Nothing wrong with a Telecaster neck/Rhythm position pickup PROVIDED that it is the right version.

IMO, an essential element in the Telecaster bridge position pickup sound is the bridge/tailpiece assembly. A fulcrum vibrato bridge and spring cavity detract from that.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 392
    I like the headstock. 

A little creativity is a good thing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom