Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RIP - Caramac

What's Hot
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67355475

A sad day.
This is worse than when Robbie left Take That.

I might need a minute…

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It is quite odd I wonder if  supermarkets were encouraged not to stock it by competitors as like it has been said  it was hard to find & surely the market is there if Cadbury have seen fit to launch a similar product 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Devastating. I will always remember where I was when I heard the news. 
    Call me Dave.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    Somewhere there will be someone panic buying them by tomorrow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    I'm sure they'd changed the recipe at some point anyway.  It was more of a tan colour when I was a kid.  Probably some toxic food colouring that's banned in the EU but embraced in the USA.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh no! This is just about the only chocolate bar my Mum likes. Cue the panic buying to sort out her Xmas/Birthday/Mother's Day presents for the next few years! 
  • Habanero said:
    Essex recording studios 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They did seem nicer when I was little. The new Cadbury effort isn't up to snuff imo. Robbie leaving Take That may have had a Caramac connection.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    edited November 2023
    Same with Milky Bar - that was a very different flavour I’m sure.  My guess also is manufacturers in general  aren’t allowed to or aren’t encouraged to use the chemicals or animal products like they may have done in years gone by, even such ingredients as gelatin

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I went through a semi-addictive phase with Caramac buttons a few years ago.

I thought they had got rid if it years ago, I haven't seen any on the shelves in ages. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    Habanero said:
    Essex recording studios 
    He'd do us all a favour, bloody horrible things

*runs and cowers behind sofa*
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24336
    Habanero said:
    Me probably.

I love them! Been hard to find for a while though.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    sev112 said:
    Same with Milky Bar - that was a very different flavour I’m sure.  My guess also is manufacturers in general  aren’t allowed to or aren’t encouraged to use the chemicals or animal products like they may have done in years gone by, even such ingredients as gelatin
    Yeah, Milky Bar changed a very long time ago, but it's nothing like it was when I was a kid.

Do you remember Pink Panther and Star Trek bars?  They were the same kind of not-chocolate but in a chocolate bar format.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Confession time .........Caramac holds special memories for me ;
    When I was 12/13 years old there was a girl who all the boys fancied at the tennis club.....I used to see her every day of the summer holidays......she was about 15 and had a very well developed bust .The fantasy of every pubescent boy . Adrienne was her name .
    All the 15 ,16 year old boys also fancied her but she wasn't interested in them and seemed unobtainable.
    Anyway a couple of older boys obviously thought they would wind me up ....I was young and naive and believed everything they told me ........They told me that if you bought this girl a large bar of Caramac that she would let you feel her tits .
    I believed this implicitly and was so smitten that I worked as a ball-boy for a whole Saturday to get the money to buy the large Caramac bar .
    I saw her on the Sunday afternoon at the club and asked her to come into the little kitchen at the clubhouse ....she followed me in thinking I wanted help with Lemon Barley water for the Seniors at which point I presented the Caramac and waited for the reciprocal gesture ........of course ,they had been winding me up and I was stupid enough to fall for it.
     She noticed the little crestfallen boy ,then she thanked me for the Caramac and asked why I bought it for her.....I told her the truth !.......apparently they had done it to another kid before me
    She laughed ,realised what had happened ,took my hand before it had time to tremble and put it under her top for a few fleeting seconds .
    I was elated , and the bonus was that she gave me the Caramac back and said 'keep this ,I don't like chocolate ' !

The Coda was that when I got divorced in my mid 30s I moved in with my mother for 6 months whilst I sorted out somewhere to live........she still lived in the same house about 300 yards from the Tennis Club.
    For the sake of something to do I joined and went to the first Club night .There were some locals who were members who had been members when we were kids but who should I be partnered with first mixed doubles ........A very shapely ,older but not totally unattractive Adrienne !
    I didn't say a word but I knew she recognised me from 25 years before !
    I kept going to the club for about a year and got to know quite a few members who I played with regularly ...including Adrienne.
    We were having a drink in the bar after a club night when she asked me out of the blue with a wink  "do you still like Caramac ? "

12reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    I used love them as a kid. I'd always ask my Grandad to buy me one whenever he went to the local shops to buy his newspaper and I'd sit watching kids TV whilst eating eat. Definitely tasted different in recent years and I would never really see them stocked in shops
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    honestly I've never hard of it before 
  • Dominic said:
    When I was 12/13 years old there was a girl who all the boys fancied at the tennis club.....I used to see her every day of the summer holidays......she was about 15 and had a very well developed bust .The fantasy of every pubescent boy . Adrienne was her name .
    All the 15 ,16 year old boys also fancied her but she wasn't interested in them and seemed unobtainable.
    Anyway a couple of older boys obviously thought they would wind me up ....I was young and naive and believed everything they told me ........They told me that if you bought this girl a large bar of Caramac that she would let you feel her tits .
    I believed this implicitly and was so smitten that I worked as a ball-boy for a whole Saturday to get the money to buy the large Caramac bar .
    I saw her on the Sunday afternoon at the club and asked her to come into the little kitchen at the clubhouse ....she followed me in thinking I wanted help with Lemon Barley water for the Seniors at which point I presented the Caramac and waited for the reciprocal gesture ........of course ,they had been winding me up and I was stupid enough to fall for it.
     She noticed the little crestfallen boy ,then she thanked me for the Caramac and asked why I bought it for her.....I told her the truth !.......apparently they had done it to another kid before me
    She laughed ,realised what had happened ,took my hand before it had time to tremble and put it under her top for a few fleeting seconds .
    I was elated , and the bonus was that she gave me the Caramac back and said 'keep this ,I don't like chocolate ' !

The Coda was that when I got divorced in my mid 30s I moved in with my mother for 6 months whilst I sorted out somewhere to live........she still lived in the same house about 300 yards from the Tennis Club.
    For the sake of something to do I joined and went to the first Club night .There were some locals who were members who had been members when we were kids but who should I be partnered with first mixed doubles ........A very shapely ,older but not totally unattractive Adrienne !
    I kept going to the club for about a year and got to know quite a few members who I played with regularly ...including Adrienne.
    We were having a drink in the bar after a club night when she asked me out of the blue with a wink  "do you still like Caramac ? "

I love this story! Awesome memories!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I wanted to say........ " No , but I'm still a sucker for a great pair of tits ! "
    You'll be pleased to know I didn't act quite that coarsely but I did spend a bit of time re-aquainting with the past !
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7343
    Dominic said:

Did you crush it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5170
    They should have made it smaller and re-branded it with a daft name….
  • scrumhalf said:
    I went through a semi-addictive phase with Caramac buttons a few years ago.

I thought they had got rid if it years ago, I haven't seen any on the shelves in ages. 
    Hence it not selling well