Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RIP - Caramac

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    sev112 said:
    Same with Milky Bar - that was a very different flavour I’m sure.  My guess also is manufacturers in general  aren’t allowed to or aren’t encouraged to use the chemicals or animal products like they may have done in years gone by, even such ingredients as gelatin
    Yeah, Milky Bar changed a very long time ago, but it's nothing like it was when I was a kid.

Do you remember Pink Panther and Star Trek bars?  They were the same kind of not-chocolate but in a chocolate bar format.
    I remember pink panther bars ,loved them 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22931
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This thread is dangerous ... we're all gonna hurt because we've all got favourites from our younger days:

Aztec
    Summit
    Amazin Raisin bar
    Cabana
    Icebreaker

The one that's still around from my kidhood is a Topic :+1: 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11306
    I remember that the Pink Panther bar is as the sweetest thing I had ever tasted, it was too much even for the young me.

My friends and I always thought that Milky Way was bought by parents too mean to get something nice for their kids. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    scrumhalf said:

My friends and I always thought that Milky Way was bought by parents too mean to get something nice for their kids. 
    It was responsible middle class parenting.

Milky Way was the sweet you could eat between meals without ruining your appetite. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    It's dying because they didn't move with the times. Nobody wears a mac any more, they should have renamed it Carahoodie.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    It was a golden age for Confectionary
    Frys cream bar with each section a different flavour
    Mint Cracknell
    Spanish Maine shredded Coconut Tobacco
    Cadburys Old Jamaica........still my favourite choc bar
    AND .......Cresta .....the foaming drink with the Polar Bear Logo "It's Frothy Man ! "
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    I've had type 1 diabetes since I was a baby, so I was never indulged with sweets and chocolate etc, just occasionally as a special treat. I never really developed a taste for the super sweet, cloying confectionary. I much preferred dark chocolate and naturally sweet things, and of course all the veg available. Carrots were my chocolate bars. 

I have however tried Caramac in very small doses. Pretty gross to my palate really. I won't miss it. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7344
    edited November 2023
    @merlin ;;My mum has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and I'm trying to understand what's going on. I get the medical side of it, but for example she's insisted that they have to cancel her 60th birthday cruise.
    At first I thought this was insurance based, like they'd said they'd have to fork over more or something, but it's not.
    She's said that its because if her blood sugar goes over 10 she'll have to start taking insulin. However shes got it down to a 5 so I said I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to go on holiday, people with diabetes must go on holiday all the time? 
    At this point my Dad who I think has probably been driven to the edge by all this just shut it down and said she's made her decision and he doesn't want to think about it anymore because they're losing thousands of pounds.

So I suppose my question is, being diabetic yourself can you think why she would feel they shouldn't go on holiday? Some people live on this cruise ship so it must have doctors and everything.

Edit: also, nothing has happened to her. She hasn't had any medical events, it was found because she was going to the toilet a lot I think.
  • My father used to buy a bar when we had a family trip to the cinema in the 60s.
    I think he used to buy it because my mother sister and I didn’t like it and he could have it to himself.
    Its a diabetic’s dream bar.
    @DefaultM I'm no expert - and I'm not saying the doctors are wrong! - but it's quite unusual to be diagnosed with Type 1 as an adult.  Adult-onset Type 2 is much more common.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    I pine for Bar 6 and real Cadburys Dairy Milk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    @DefaultM I'm no expert - and I'm not saying the doctors are wrong! - but it's quite unusual to be diagnosed with Type 1 as an adult.  Adult-onset Type 2 is much more common.
    I think that's what's upset her. She was diagnosed with type 2 but they said it's unusual for her to be diagnosed with type 2 and not be overweight so they were also going to do a test for type 1.
    So she's been going along as though it's type 2 for about a month, got her blood sugar down to 5 and been fine.
    Then they've called her and said the test is back and it's type 1.
    She was fine to go on holiday when she thought it was type 2, but now because she's been told it's type 1 she's not going. Despite absolutely nothing changing medically if that makes sense.
    Its not as though she was told type 2 but then she's really gone downhill and they said let's look in to this again oh no sorry it's type 1.

So my opinion is that she could very easily go on holiday, and that she's going to look back on this and really regret it. I don't want to say that though, convince them to go, then get a call that she's died at sea haha.
    edited November 2023
    I think you're probably right that she'd be safe enough to go on holiday... I guess the main difference - I'm type 2 but I have a good friend who's type 1 - is that I can't really get low blood sugar but she can get a hypo, which has put her in hospital a few times.  That may be what they're worried about, a least until they're settled on a treatment plan.
  • DefaultM said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I think that's what's upset her. She was diagnosed with type 2 but they said it's unusual for her to be diagnosed with type 2 and not be overweight so they were also going to do a test for type 1.
    So she's been going along as though it's type 2 for about a month, got her blood sugar down to 5 and been fine.
    Then they've called her and said the test is back and it's type 1.
    She was fine to go on holiday when she thought it was type 2, but now because she's been told it's type 1 she's not going. Despite absolutely nothing changing medically if that makes sense.
    Its not as though she was told type 2 but then she's really gone downhill and they said let's look in to this again oh no sorry it's type 1.

So my opinion is that she could very easily go on holiday, and that she's going to look back on this and really regret it. I don't want to say that though, convince them to go, then get a call that she's died at sea haha.
    Brett Michaels has to have insulin & seems to tour the world . I don’t think it’s a major issue if you do as you’re supposed to . Most people I’ve known seem to live relatively normal lives & the worst I’ve seen is one have to have a chocolate bar when his level dropped & he was very old 
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 199
    edited November 2023
    Munchies bring back memories 
    I think she will have found the worst thing that could possibly happen like that, and worked under the assumption it’s going to happen. So I suppose since it’s possible then I should just leave them to it. 
    I just don’t think they’ll get over the thought of spending what must have been £3k with insurance and then not even going.
  • @DefaultM I'm type 1 diabetic too and can shed some light/perhaps give a steer.

I'm not a lifer like @merlin, I was diagnosed in my late 30s ... c.25 years ago.

Firstly, the condition is much more manageable nowadays with improved technology, devices and education programmes. There is absolutely no reason why your mum couldn't go on holiday but I suspect the whole subject matter is too daunting right now and she'll be feeling scared.

It can be daunting at the start ... the biggest fear is 'of the unknown ' or 'needles'.

I don't wish to second guess your mum or the impact of the diagnosis on the whole family ... everyone is unique and their particular circumstances will require a unique solution to manage the condition correctly.

You'll probably have lots of Qs that need answers so why don't you PM me and we can take it off-line. I'm happy to help you to help your mum ... this is quite typical ... most people don't understand type 1 because it's complicated by it's very nature ... a chronic, incurable, auto-immune condition.

@merlin may also wish to help but right now, it's over to you.

Stu
    That's very nice thanks, I'll PM you.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    Time tae move on Tae Chelsea Whoppers
    tae be or not tae be