Same riff played on 5 different Marshalls. Some other stuff. No Pignose or Gorilla.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4386
    edited November 2023
    I must admit I only watched enough to hear the five Marshalls solo’d. 

6100 for my money, it had the thump without the bassy flub of the MOSFET which sounded like far too much low frequency was being pushed through the preamp. 2205 close second. 

Why they’re more punchy in the power amp than the DSL/TSL, I don’t know. Better o/p tranny?

@ICBM what were the issues with the 6100, if you don’t mind me asking? It sounded badass from where I was sat and they’re surprisingly reasonable to pick up (for now). 

I say ‘reasonable’, I mean this in the context of the values of mid-late ‘70s 220X heads. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Jetfire said:
    I didn't really rate any of the Marshalls, the engl was the best I'd say.

The thread title could do with updating to say it' had other amps too. If I hadn't read all the other new threads while having a poo, I probably wouldn't have clicked on this but I'm kinda glad I did.
    Updated.
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    soma1975 said:
    Jetfire said:

The thread title could do with updating to say it' had other amps too. If I hadn't read all the other new threads while having a poo, I probably wouldn't have clicked on this but I'm kinda glad I did.
    Updated.
    Good job you werent petty about it xx
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73076
    randella said:

6100 for my money, it had the thump without the bassy flub of the MOSFET which sounded like far too much low frequency was being pushed through the preamp.
    Exactly.

randella said:

@ICBM what were the issues with the 6100, if you don’t mind me asking? It sounded badass from where I was sat and they’re surprisingly reasonable to pick up (for now).
    They have major reliability issues, partly because of some slightly iffy build quality, partly because of the high complexity for a valve amp, and in particular the MIDI-controlled switching circuitry. It's a shame, since they sound fantastic, definitely one of Marshall's best-ever amps.

The combo is worse than the head because the same large number of PCBs are squeezed into a chassis half the size, upside down with the heat from the valves underneath, and the vibration from the massively efficient speaker in the same box.

But they sound incredible, as @Gassage will confirm... they're one of the very few 1x12" combos - along with the similarly high-powered and heavy-speakered Mesa/Boogie Mark series - which don't suddenly sound small and boxy when you put them on a big stage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    soma1975 said:
    Jetfire said:

Updated.
    Good job you werent petty about it xx
    Two sorts of guitarists in this world:

1 - Ones who read about old Marshalls whilst they're sat on the throne. 

2 - Ones who are lying. 
    @ICBM - many thanks, appreciated as ever. It's a shame as I could deal with QC issues, but I'm going to guess there's custom logic in there that's now basically unobtainium.

Still hankering after the one on Reverb in blue Tolex...