Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss IR-2

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24320
edited November 2023 in FX
BOSS - IR-2 | Amp & Cabinet

I had not heard of these.

Is this new?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1342
    Anderton's have got their vid up - mention of around £180 ballpark?

(so this was the "something new from Boss" thing the guy on The Gear Page forum was mentioning?).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Looks great on the face of it.

A bit puzzling though that they should use a 'Boss original amp' for the Clean option, rather than a JC-120 model from their house brand.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1491
    Boss taking the piss here with the amount of features. For the money it’s unbelievable 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Headphone out and USB-C recording make this a great addition to a pedalboard, even for those who might not use it live.
  • DeftDeft Frets: 30
    Just had a skim of the manual, the 'ambience' (room reverb) can be switched to an actual hall or plate reverb. Pretty snazzy for the money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    This looks great. It could easily replace the Two Notes CabM I use to demo pedals at guitar shows. The one question I have though, is why is this a pedal rather than a desktop unit? 
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    edited November 2023
    timhulio said:
    This looks great. It could easily replace the Two Notes CabM I use to demo pedals at guitar shows. The one question I have though, is why is this a pedal rather than a desktop unit? 
    I'd guess because of the channel switching from green to red but agreed, a desktop unit without the footswitch built in might have made more sense (and maybe even cheaper?)

I think this looks like a fantastic bit of kit, especially for practise and even if it's just a backup in case of amp failures. I'm not sure if the modes are modelled 100% on what they're labelled but the sounds are good.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    timhulio said:

It's the compact pedal version of the IR-200 so if you want something more complex it's there.

If you want to step up again you go to the GT-1000 CORE.
  • For a compact pedal, that is pretty outstanding. Boss are at the top of their game.
  • This will use the same exceptional modelling in the GT-1000 series, the GX-100 and the IR-200 but in the traditional Boss pedal format.

I love my GT-1000 and I reckon this would be amazing on a traditional pedalboard for an ampless setup.
  • I wouldn’t necessarily use this but I think Boss are smashing it right now 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Deft said:
    Just had a skim of the manual, the 'ambience' (room reverb) can be switched to an actual hall or plate reverb. Pretty snazzy for the money
    On the Andertons video the Ambience seemed very limited, basically a small room sound, and I don't think they knew/mentioned this. Useful. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2900
    Headphone out, FX loop, interface & playback via usb-c, and user IRs. Finally a compact pedal with all these features! Pretty incredible for the money, £179 at Andertons. Sounds great in Leon Todd's demo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    I think I'll be getting one of these at some point. 

loved the GT1000 own amps so if this based on the clean/crunch amps then will do perfectly.
  • I love my HX Stomp but this is a different take on amp/cab sims and it's smaller and can just be added to a normal board and used however and whenever you like in a small format. I wanted to try the GT1000 so if this is that flavour but in a Boss compact, I'm in!
  • Sounds very much like the tones I get from my WAZA Air. Very good indeed. 

Always loved the ‘Crunch’ on the WAZA Air so really hoping it’s the same one so I can run through a power amp and cab. 
  • Holy moly, I've been lugging around my HX Stomp as backup to my Helix, this looks so good. Just an unreal amount of features for the price.

Will definitely have to try it out asap
  • Oh wow - this looks great! I bought the GT-1000 CORE recently and I've only really been using the (awesome) amp modelling so far :love: 
  • Honestly having just had a gig where I used an Origin Revival Drive into my BadCat but mic issues with front of house not getting enough signal Id be tempted by one of these to go straight to PA so the amp is essentially just there for monitoring. Pedal format makes that much easier I reckon! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1842
    timhulio said:

It's the compact pedal version of the IR-200 so if you want something more complex it's there.

If you want to step up again you go to the GT-1000 CORE.
    No  no no. IRs on the Core are  a nightmare to load and use. I envy the headphone out, but I love my Ox Stomp apart from that omission.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom