SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED - WTB- Good Quality Lightweight 335 Style Guitar

What's Hot
SammySammy Frets: 130
edited January 28 in Guitars £
After selling my fabulous Chris Eccleshall 335 style guitar some months back on here, to a really nice fretboarder, who loved it within 5 minutes of playing it, as unfortunately it was just too heavy for me to play out, so looking for something a bit more lightweight.

I know I won't get anything near to my C.E. in sound, playability and quality, but it must sound and play well. The only current ones that come to mind on looking are the Eastman Romero and Eastman T185, both under 7lbs, but have tried neither. 
Not worried about mft as long as it's good build and as above, sounds and plays well, plus has a more cleaner sound and not the muddy sort of sound you get on quite a few humbucker guitars. Similar sort of sound to the Romero on listening to various demos.

No Black guitars please, only had one once, same as a black car I had and never again!  B Thanks.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SammySammy Frets: 130
    Still looking as only heavier guitars have been offered, would like something really below 7lbs but around 7lbs would maybe be okay for the right guitar. Also humbucker style 335 guitars only no P90's. Thanks
    Have been trying to look at some more quality lightweight models, have found the FGN MFA HP which looks & sounds good on Youtube videos!
    But as advised open to anything suitable WHY?
    Still looking, someone may be looking for a change of guitar for the New Year! :)
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited December 2023
    Check out the Sire Larry Carlton H7 guitars They come in red white burst & black with humbuckers and they now do P90 versions.
    Ive had the burst version for a couple of years now and it’s an awesome guitar.
    Andertons & Thomann sell them.

• Unhelpful as its black, but I recently got an excellent Epiphone ES335 pro, which was 7lb on the dot! I'm normally not a great epiphone fan and maybe this one is a bit unique but apart from the muddy pickups, theres nothing I'd change on it. Granted, its had a full fret dress. Maybe keep an eye out for one of those - I've had the same issue as you, where I've wanted ES335's and they've all been really heavy (above 7.5lbs) for me
    edited December 2023
    Thanks for various recommendations, incl Pm's, but am really looking for a bit more upmarket model, around region of £1,000 up to £2,000 for the right guitar. Would also consider P/EX my lovely Custom handbuilt Fretking Stvido Tele, (you can view previous post on here as withdrawn, as no p/ex lightweight Teles & others offered were suitable), with cash to go up to max of £2,500. (Fret King value around £1,200) Thanks
    Still Looking!

Hi thanks for you advice, I was going to have a look at a T484 in a shop next week, but where did you see the weight as it doesn't show on either of the guitars on Coda-music site?
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4787
    Click on the main picture
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    Scroll through the photos and they show you it on scales!
    matone said:
    Scroll through the photos and they show you it on scales!

Thanks was just looking at the info provided! B)
    Anyone needing some cash & having a clear out for the New Year? ;)
    Tried out the Eastman T185 & T484 at Mak's guitars today, with my son. T185 nice weight, good neck and really well made, better than most Gibson's but IMO the Bare Knuckle pickups really let the guitar sound down.! Such a pity they changed them for the Lollar Imperials, when they couldn't get hold of them in the Covid lockdown period, but haven't reintroduced them since.
    The T484, whilst not quite as nice to play, sounded much better with their seymour duncans, but was too heavy.

Also tried the Eastman Romero California, but whilst the neck was a bit too thin for my liking at the nut end, again the bare knuckle pickups, were a let down, as have heard the Eastman Romero Goldtop, albeit solid maple top, but with the Lollars and sounded way better.

So at present I am still looking for maybe an FGN MSA HP or Eastman T185 with the Lollar pickups or any 335 shape that would be suitable and lightweight.
  • My tokai has lollars in and they sound immense. Don’t use her that much but probably too heavy for you (no idea what weight but certainly over 7lbs)
  • pumkinpumkin Frets: 139
    PM’d you about a T184mx gb . 
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 270
    I’ll plug the Reverend Airsonic. I think the pick-up requirement has been addressed. Revs always come in on the lighter side too. 

• marxskimarxski Frets: 260
    I once had a Heritage 335 guitar made in the old Gibson factory which was a great guitar and lightweight. Schaller pickups were a little uninspiring but was an early model they switched to Duncans soon after.