Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I'm loving this strat variant.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    It is a bit of a mash-up.
    And why, after all of that effort, did they just do a squared corner cutout for the humbucker?
    Glad to know I'm not the only person with an aversion to square-cornered humbucker cutouts!  They seen very old-fashioned.
    Square cut ours always look jarring to me, when I saw this Xotic earlier it was the first thing I noticed: https://www.peachguitars.com/xotic-california-classic-xsc-2-3-tone-burst-light-ageing.htm

I remember being baffled by the Paolettis when Richard at Richard’s Guitars started raving about them. I’m still baffled. I’m not a traditionalist but I think good design exercises some restraint and these… don’t. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:
    And why, after all of that effort, did they just do a squared corner cutout for the humbucker?
    Glad to know I'm not the only person with an aversion to square-cornered humbucker cutouts!  They seen very old-fashioned.
    Square cut ours always look jarring to me, when I saw this Xotic earlier it was the first thing I noticed: https://www.peachguitars.com/xotic-california-classic-xsc-2-3-tone-burst-light-ageing.htm
    Honestly if I owned that I'd have to get a new scratchplate or a covered pickup.  It's not quite so bad with a black scratchplate, because it's harder to see the cutout from a distance.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2320
    The headstock makes it look like a cheap knock off. 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    edited December 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:

I remember being baffled by the Paolettis when Richard at Richard’s Guitars started raving about them. I’m still baffled. I’m not a traditionalist but I think good design exercises some restraint and these… don’t. 

I actually prefer the square pickup cut out for humbuckers.  The HSS Strat originally started out as ''hot rodded'' SSS Strats, to me it's a ''tilt of the hat'' to the origins of the Superstrat, namely self modded or tech modded SSS Strats whose pick guards where cut out to allow the fitting of a humbucker in the bridge position.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    edited December 2023

I remember being baffled by the Paolettis when Richard at Richard’s Guitars started raving about them.
    He has raved about a lot of different guitars in the past, but that's because he wants to sell them.  He raved about Vintage brand guitars but, when some people commented in reviews that they expected the fretwork to have been better given how much he was raving about their build and finish quality, he retorted scathingly "You should see how bad they are when they come in to us before our tech sets them up".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    prowla said:

I actually prefer the square pickup cut out for humbuckers.  The HSS Strat originally started out as ''hot rodded'' SSS Strats, to me it's a ''tilt of the hat'' to the origins of the Superstrat, namely self modded or tech modded SSS Strats whose pick guards where cut out to allow the fitting of a humbucker in the bridge position.
    Yeah I can get the rationale but still looks wrong to me grin I know it’s the same rationale for using a black bobbins on white scratchplate but that doesn’t bother me. 
  • BillDL said:

I remember being baffled by the Paolettis when Richard at Richard’s Guitars started raving about them.
    He has raved about a lot of different guitars in the past, but that's because he wants to sell them.  He raved about Vintage brand guitars but, when some people commented in reviews that they expected the fretwork to have been better given how much he was raving about their build and finish quality, he retorted scathingly "You should see how bad they are when they come in to us before our tech sets them up".
    I used to be on the Regent guitar forums back in the day and he was exactly the same then lol
  • Not keen on the star markers but having heard these on YouTube demoes, they sound fantastic...