Pedal amps

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 5187
anyone got experience with any? are they any good? how loud can they get>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    The guitarist in my band has a Laney Loudpedal, which is 60W into 8 ohms. I would say it has slightly more clean headroom than a Laney LA30BL 30W valve amp into the same 8-ohm cabinet, and possibly more outright overdriven volume, although he doesn’t run it like that. I don’t think it’s quite as loud as a typical 50W valve amp.

It also sounds so good that he’s not using the LA30BL now. Genuinely good, not just ‘it will do because it’s so light’. It also has a ton of useful other features and is a huge bargain for the price - under £200 new - in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5187
    cheers. that certainly sounds like it's worth a look
  • My backup amp, an EHX 22 Caliber, is loud enough for a smallish, unmic'd pub gig with a 2 guitar, bass and acoustic drums band. There's no clean headroom at the sort of volume needed though. It's sounds pretty decent and I use it for rehearsals when my shoulder is hurting and I don't want to lug my valve amps. I'd rather use it rather than the Valvestate heads at the rehearsal studio we use.
  • My backup amp, an EHX 22 Caliber, is loud enough for a smallish, unmic'd pub gig with a 2 guitar, bass and acoustic drums band. There's no clean headroom at the sort of volume needed though. It's sounds pretty decent and I use it for rehearsals when my shoulder is hurting and I don't want to lug my valve amps. I'd rather use it rather than the Valvestate heads at the rehearsal studio we use.

How do you find the noise level on your Caliber 22?
  • I have a caliber 22 I used to use as my backup amp - I don’t think it’s ever been switched on - I should dig it out and try it..
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I'm using a Blackstar AMPED1 for most live stuff right now - mainly in 20w mode. Will knock a wall down in 100w mode through the right cab...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1509
    edited December 2023
    I have a Hotone Britwind that I use as a backup amp.  I am mic'd up normally, so it isn't a problem for me, but would probably cover smaller gigs without a problem.  It is rated at 75w, but I think that is into 4ohm, so you lose power with a higher ohmage speaker.
  • ICBM said:
    The guitarist in my band has a Laney Loudpedal, which is 60W into 8 ohms. I would say it has slightly more clean headroom than a Laney LA30BL 30W valve amp into the same 8-ohm cabinet, and possibly more outright overdriven volume, although he doesn’t run it like that. I don’t think it’s quite as loud as a typical 50W valve amp.

It also sounds so good that he’s not using the LA30BL now. Genuinely good, not just ‘it will do because it’s so light’. It also has a ton of useful other features and is a huge bargain for the price - under £200 new - in my opinion.
    +1, it's very good. I have one, though I prefer the head version (which has reverb).

I've also got an EHX 5mm, which is fine for home use despite a slight hair-trigger volume control. It's just a power amp.

The Laney is a whole bloody loud two-channel amp with boost in a pedal format. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

How do you find the noise level on your Caliber 22?
    It can be noisy, especially at gigging/rehearsing volumes, but it seems to depend on what room it's used in. I think the lack of an earth could be a contributory factor. I wouldn't want to try recording with it, but as a "get me out of trouble" solution it's really good, and it's so small it can fit in a gig bag pocket.
  • +1 for the Laney Loudpedal 

• ICBM said:

Hadn't seen these before. Looks like a bloody great idea. 

Whats your take on the durability, etc? I seem to remember you're not a fan of those Class D mini lunchbox amps that all the bass players love... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    Whats your take on the durability, etc? I seem to remember you're not a fan of those Class D mini lunchbox amps that all the bass players love... 
    I haven't seen inside it yet - I'll try and get a look at some point. The mini bass amps seem to have got more reliable after some initial problems, so I'm not overly worried, but I have suggested that if he's going to use it as his gigging amp, he gets another one as a spare - they're so cheap it's not a huge outlay - since like all this kind of thing, if it goes down you need a backup, there's no changing valves and fuses and getting through.

It is quite ironic that he's got this when I've just bought a Fender Bassman 50 valve amp :D.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3090
    There’s no power amp involved but knowing you as I do, I thought one of these would be right up your street…..?

• Might not suit your style given the videos you post, but the Milkman 50, and Milkman 100, are excellent pedal Amps. I own the 100 version.

• NickBNickB Frets: 280
    When I was looking at shrinking my set up I had a look at this. https://kyroaudio.com/dulo-830
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1702
    I find it interesting that none of the Victory v4 stuff has been mentioned here, esp as they have one for each flavour. 

• pt22pt22 Frets: 328
    edited December 2023
    Jetfire said:
    I find it interesting that none of the Victory v4 stuff has been mentioned here, esp as they have one for each flavour. 

I had a V4 The Copper Amp which was an awesome little thing. Since moved to combo so off it went but for a home solution it was hard to beat. Two channel, top boost was good fun, headphone out with emulated Two Notes tech, and support for any cab. Seemed plenty loud enough but I don’t gig so can’t speak to that. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5187
    I ended up getting the laney loudpedal. Sounded great in the shop through a Friedman 1x12. I'll try it with a full band on Saturday. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom