Help some brothers out.. scammer content

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11077
    tFB Trader
    mankytom said:
    @OilCityPickups that is flabbergasting, and the police are probably in no position to investigate all of that adequately..

up to 150 on the fundraiser by the way.. link in OP for anyone in a position to donate, I’m sure anything appreciated!!
    Not only are the police understaffed ... but also a staggering amount of fraud is not actually reported! People are often too embarrassed to admit they've been 'had' and so keep quiet ... therefore the amount of actual fraud is actually likely to be a lot higher. 
    Because of the low risk of getting caught and the lack of having to - so to speak - get their hands dirty as they'd have to if they held up a post office or mugged a little old lady, it's seen as 'white collar crime'. If you don't see the victim you don't have to see them as a person.   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1340
    My mother-in-law was scammed for around £100k at the start of the year.  Action Fraud have done absolutely nothing.  Not even contacted her back.
    0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mankytommankytom Frets: 286
    That’s outrageous.. all reward, no risk by the sounds of it. Disgraceful. 

And all of the public discourse is about Rwanda, and partygate, and which of the royal family are racist.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11077
    tFB Trader
    mankytom said:
    @OilCityPickups that is flabbergasting, and the police are probably in no position to investigate all of that adequately..

up to 150 on the fundraiser by the way.. link in OP for anyone in a position to donate, I’m sure anything appreciated!!
    It's not the job of the police to deal with it - it's up to Action Fraud.

And, on the basis of their previous performance dealing with scammers on here, after we provided them with more than enough evidence to take it to court...they're woefully inadequate at it.
    ^ Yep, Inaction Fraud would have been more accurate.
    Enjoy your evening out, you deserve it.
    Yep Action Fraud is the privatised system used by police forces across the UK for fraud reporting ... I believe this bunch are one of the 'service providers'. 

Oh brave new world that has such creatures in it ...  as Will Shakespeare said. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Action Fraud are utterly and completely not fit for purpose. They are a disgrace, but no one cares or takes responsibility for that.
    Btw I clicked on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and it said I was a victim of one breach… this site? what do I do about that, I have no idea?
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1542
    Mike58 said:
    Action Fraud are utterly and completely not fit for purpose. They are a disgrace, but no one cares or takes responsibility for that.
    Btw I clicked on https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and it said I was a victim of one breach… this site? what do I do about that, I have no idea?
    I was 16 breaches, but nothing since 2018. I have adopted a far stricter policy for myself in recent years.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2250
    What a nightmare.  What is wrong with these people?
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
     Ok, I looked at the result again on that site and the breach detail was further down. It said the breach was from Live Auctioneers in June 2020.
    so nothing to do with this site.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Mike58 said:
    change your password, and while you're at it make sure you don't use the same password for more than one site
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For anyone considering what to do about personal online security...another option is what I do - I bought a domain, and I don't just use a different password on every site, I use a different email address (all are forwarded to my main email address, which is never used as a signup address). So my email addresses for online accounts would be:

tfb@mydomain.com
    amz@mydomain.com
    ggl@mydomain.com
    ...etc etc

That guarantees that if I'm part of a breach, no part of the credentials are remotely useful for gaining access to any of my other accounts anywhere else.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7424
    On the stickies/announcements topic, I've been on forums for over 20 years and it's always a thing where people don't read them.
    Like "that's just boring stuff I'm here to read about guitars" and scroll straight past them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27903
    For anyone considering what to do about personal online security...another option is what I do - I bought a domain, and I don't just use a different password on every site, I use a different email address (all are forwarded to my main email address, which is never used as a signup address). So my email addresses for online accounts would be:

tfb@mydomain.com
    amz@mydomain.com
    ggl@mydomain.com
    ...etc etc

That guarantees that if I'm part of a breach, no part of the credentials are remotely useful for gaining access to any of my other accounts anywhere else.
    But your password is still “Password” for all of them, right?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    For anyone considering what to do about personal online security...another option is what I do - I bought a domain, and I don't just use a different password on every site, I use a different email address (all are forwarded to my main email address, which is never used as a signup address). So my email addresses for online accounts would be:

tfb@mydomain.com
    amz@mydomain.com
    ggl@mydomain.com
    ...etc etc

Of course. I'm getting on a bit, can't be expected to remember too much.
    <space for hire>
  • TTony said:

tfb@mydomain.com
    amz@mydomain.com
    ggl@mydomain.com
    ...etc etc

At least I'm the only person who uses ''12345'' as their password for everything, nobody will ever be able to work that one out, as it's so unique and difficult to guess.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383
    TTony said:
    I like that you capitalized the "P". That should ward them off.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3962
    UPDATE: Some incredibly useful and timely information from @danishbacon (and some cross-referencing previous compromised accounts) has pointed us directly to the source of these account compromises - I'm 99% confident that's where it came from. I'm going to do some more digging to see if I can get hold of the breach file itself so I can compare it to our member list, but for now...I would strongly suggest that everybody checks their email address(es) here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/
    My email address comes up on there. What should I do about it?
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 383
    edited December 2023
    Lebarque said:
    UPDATE: Some incredibly useful and timely information from @danishbacon (and some cross-referencing previous compromised accounts) has pointed us directly to the source of these account compromises - I'm 99% confident that's where it came from. I'm going to do some more digging to see if I can get hold of the breach file itself so I can compare it to our member list, but for now...I would strongly suggest that everybody checks their email address(es) here:

Same as mentioned ^^^:https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3765028/#Comment_3765028

Change your passwords to unique secure ones, preferably using a password manager like Bitwarden which handles generating unique secure passwords and "remembering" them so you don't have to. And use MFA on your Bitwarden account. 
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 362
    edited December 2023
    @digitalscream ;
    Just a quick thought; would it be possible to pop a link to the Justgiving fund on the front page? 
    The thought of getting scammed by this vile bastard is awful so the more members see this thread the more we should be able to recover for the two victims. 
  • Lebarque said:

Change your password to something you've never used before.
    <space for hire>
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7424
    I've apparently been part of a hack of Truefire that revealed pretty much every single personal detail about me.
     Full name, address, email, password, DoB, phone number. That’s not great is it!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom