Exploring Ireland

What's Hot
It's a big anniversary for me and MrsRTB this year. We are considering a few options to mark the occasion, one of which is to visit Ireland in our campervan and to tour around a little bit. Maybe 2 weeks. We'll be travelling from Peterborough, so probably a ferry from Fishguard to Rosslare, and Dublin is definitely on her bucket list. I think we'd also like to experience some traditional Irish culture - rural pubs, live music, food, landscapes etc.

What places should we factor in? What should we avoid, or at least just not squeeze in because there are places that can tick off a number of things in one go?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    edited January 8
    Ooof, how long is a piece of string! You could enter from Rosslare or Dublin and go back from Larne, so you could travel from north to south or south to north etc. Obviously if you come through Larne, you could visit the Giant's Causeway, Bushmills etc, and as you come south, Rosstrevor, Newcastle, Sth County Down for example.
    If you can get as far as West Cork or County Kerry, then the ring of Kerry is a must. Killarney, Kinsale, Clonakilty other options.
    Connemara also, but all depends on on weather as well.
    Dublin is fine, but expensive, and for someone from England, might just seem like another regional British city.
    Other shouts for Cliffs of Moher, Aran Islands, Doolin, Wicklow mountains etc.
    I could recommend some pubs etc depending on what towns you pick. Dingle in Kerry has some fine pubs.
    What month are you planning on visiting?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137

What month are you planning on visiting?
    September possibly. Maybe October, Maybe August.

Great info so far, thank you.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    If dodge Dublin.  It’s an Irish theme park, with very few Irish people in it.  Pubs in Temple Bar put their prices up every 30 mins past 7pm to fleece tourists. 

Wicklow mountains, Kerry, Cork, Galway’s is a must. Donegal bay is beautiful if the weather is nice. If you can get out on the sea, the rock formations there are fantastic. Layers of rock folded over each other.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I occasionally think about taking our's to Ireland but the ferry prices are crazy, end up going sod it let's go to France. Ireland tourism pushes The Wild Atlantic Way which you could do at least part of for the scenery although you'd probably want to add in the interesting bits of the North and Dublin. There are a few camper places of varying degrees of dodginess around Dublin but Camac Valley looks okay, there's a bus into the city apparently. 

Quite a few blogs and vlogs about doing this. Wandering Bird's suggested places from her Irish tour:
    Cliffs of Moher
    Wild Atlantic Way
    Giants Causeway
    Dark Hedges Road (Game of Thrones)
    Dublin
    Ring of Kerry 
    Rock of Cashel (apparently Ireland's number one tourist rock)
    Blarney Castle
    Dunmore Head (most Westerly point)
    Torc waterfall

Wild/off grid camping is illegal in Ireland. Does seem to be tolerated, even encouraged ,in some places and not in others, 3am knock on the door from the garda telling you to show your papers and move on not unknown apparently. As well as campsites there are pub stops and Safe Nights Ireland (although I can't get their website to work so I'm assuming it's still operable) which seems to be similar to Brit Stops or French Passions. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Shame you aren't going in August, Galway when the races are on, is amazing.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
    Great suggestions @Creed_Clicks ... brought back loads of memories for me.

In addition I'd include:
    the whole Dingle peninsula,
    Cork,
    Clifden,
    Bundoran,
    Ballyshannon (if you like Rory Gallagher)
    Donegal coastline and across Antrim coastline
    Lough Neagh

or just work with the weather, the open roads and make it up as you go ... it'll not disappoint.

Whatever you choose to do it'll be memorable ... savour it :+1: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 257
    I think we'd also like to experience some traditional Irish culture - rural pubs, live music, food, landscapes etc.

A run down the Donegal coast can be worth while for the scenery but also the music. You should be able to find a ‘folk festival’ somewhere on the coast each weekend. 
    You might time it when the "Fleadh Cheoil" is on. It will be on in Wexford, which would be handy for Rosslare etc
    https://fleadhcheoil.ie/ (Trad music festival/competition in August)

Also, as mentioned, the Rory Gallagher festival, if you are into your blues. If you stop in Limerick city, some pubs to recommend would be Dolans, Myles Breen, The Glen Tavern.

Kilkenny city also has some nice little pubs, and isn't a million miles from Rosslare either.

I find Ireland bloody expensive though. Lots of gouging going on with accommodation etc.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    We went to Cork many years ago, absolutely breathtaking, so beautiful.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    Line up a visit to a fiddle festival or a guitar festival or similar, music being played everywhere all the time
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1232
    ring of kerry takes some beating.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    swiller said:
    ring of kerry takes some beating.
    Katona?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm looking for a route map for Ring of Kerry. It sounds great.
    I'll guess it's the N70/N71 from Killarney out on the peninsula to Waterville and back.
    Paging @Leisceoir ;
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Galway and Inishmore (more cliffs, fantastic ancient architecture, sundry woolen cloths and good chance at quality live music)
  • Love all of Ireland so can’t really advise as too much, Wexford Boulavogue, Cavan , Athlone and BlackRock is where I’d be heading but that’s personal. Two tips , one music sessions don’t start until very late , two if you see traditional Irish session advertised at 7 pm go in and ask the musicians where they are playing after then leave! 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    Carlingford area also worth a look.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    Same opinion here:
    I advise Dublin is not very interesting, I'd say Manchester and Liverpool were more interesting.

Galway is my favourite.
    I haven't been to Cork though, that's popular too.

Aran islands are great on Halloween

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Did a fabulous 16 day tour of Ireland one summer in the 1990s, loved it.  We had 15&1/2 days of rain!

great food almost everywhere 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom