Exploring Ireland

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Dublin is a very dull capital city really. My family are from Donegal - wild country, wild people.

Note, that drinking is a national sport and done to Olympic champion standard. Take a waterproof, all that emerald isle stuff comes from a lot of rain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Snap said:
    Dublin is a very dull capital city really. My family are from Donegal - wild country, wild people.

Note, that drinking is a national sport and done to Olympic champion standard. Take a waterproof, all that emerald isle stuff comes from a lot of rain.
    I've been out in Liverpool etc. I would say the British could easily give the Irish a run for their money, if not nudge ahead in the race!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Fishguard to Rosslare …
    … is Stena Line.

Since you are willing to travel via West Wales, you have the option of Irish Ferries from fashionable Pembroke Dock. 

The last twenty miles on the A477 are always an easier drive. Right now (and for the foreseeable future), the A40 between St. Clears and Haverfordwest is blighted by roadworks.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Kilkenny city is interesting. Dingle - see Slea head. Doolin - take the boat trip round the Aran islands and see the Cliffs of Moher from the sea. Killarney and the Ring of Kerry. Belfast - the Titanic centre. Antrim and the Giants causeway. How many weeks are you intending to spend in Ireland??????
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Probably 5,000 videos on YouTube about touring in Ireland but Wandering Bird does quite organised ones and has done one on touring the Wild Atlantic Way in her motorhome, she also gave a presentation about it each day at the recent NEC show (includes bits about Ring of Kerry and seaweed baths):

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3491
    I would stick to the West coast, Wicklow mountains, the Powerscourt waterfall is worth a visit in Wicklow , I have only been there for the day but I believe you can park up there in a van, cross the mountains then up the coast, are you wild camping?

Dublin is a bucket list thing but its a city before its a tourist attraction so be prepped for heavy traffic, nowhere to park, getting lost on one way systems etc and it isnt cheap..

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    People from Liverpool are basically Irish
    edited March 1
    MikeP said:
    People from Liverpool are basically Irish
    No, they arnt. ;0)

I would also check out the Mourne mountains if up Belfast way, stunning walks , Kilbroney park is a good starting point and you can walk up to the big stone and further if you still have your breath, stunning views up there. You can park up there overnight too.

Anytime I am home I do the Slieve Gullion forest drive, park at the top and climb the rest, the forest walk is worth doing too.

Whatever you do though, find the time to check out NewGrange, take the tour, its well worth a visit.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7164
    I think to be authentically Irish its supposed to be a 1976 reissue Korina Explorer 
    Oh, before you go, watch Leap Year, its nothing to do with touring Irelend, its just a good film, about Ireland, its a cuddle up with the missus kind of movie, and its got Ireland in it.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited March 2
    If you're looking for culture and sightseeing I'd recommend (in no particular order):

Dublin: Kilmainham Gaol (interesting for it's importance in the Easter Rising and subsequent civil war)
    National gallery
    Powerscourt

Cork generally, Dingle peninsula in particular. Lots of scenery, lovely beaches etc and a bit of history too (Michael Collins was killed near Bandon)
    Kinsale interesting to see how the 1% live

Ring of Kerry is very scenic

Galway is a lovely city

Ballyshannon interesting if you're into Rory Gallagher but you'll not need a full day there, stop off on the way to somewhere else. I'd stop off on the way from Galway to Fermanagh

County Fermanagh Lakelands, and quite a few National Trust properties if you're interested. Belleek is worth a look if the Mrs is into ceramics at all, and would be on the way up from Ballyshannon.
    There's also a WW2 flying boat museum, Enniskillen castle is pretty good, and the view from Magho cliffs viewpoint is stunning.

Walls of Derry, decent museum and some old churches with history relating to the seige, and a lot of the history of the political divisions in Northern Ireland

Giants causeway, mussenden temple, Portstewart strand, Carrick-a-rede rope bridge, Bushmills distillery (probably enough here to spread over 2 days, and you could do Rathlin Island from Ballycastle too)

Belfast: Crown bar, Titanic experience, potentially worth doing a guided or taxi tour of the city as a lot of history

Mourne mountains are worth a look, and when you're down there stay in the Slieve Donard hotel and enjoy breakfast with a stunning view.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    Some good suggestions here.

I would agree with staying out of Dublin. Unless there's a particular gig or event, it's just not worth it. If you do go there, and are interested in galleries the Hugh Lane is worth a look, and 10 mins walk away 13 Henrietta St has guided tours of a house that went from merchant grandeur to tenement slum. Burdock's in Christchurch serve the best fish & chips anywhere. If you can get away with it, drop by Jimi's music store in Ballymount as he always has something interesting.

Someone mentioned Kinsale, it's a pretty town with lots of restaurants and is sort of the Malibu of Cork*, a more manageable city than Dublin. The English Market there is worth a mooch around.

Ring of Kerry is a bit over-sold, IMO, but there is plenty of scenery all along the west coast. Cliffs of Moher, from any vantage is the highlight. Tralee and Killarney are a bit twee for my liking.

The Aran Islands are scenic too, you can get out there as a foot passenger, rent bikes and explore the place without fear of traffic.

Galway has a pretty good atmosphere, lots there for anyone. 

In Belfast, the Black Taxi Tours are a must. Your driver could be from either side of the community. My other half (English) and I (Irish) took one a couple of years ago and both had our eyes opened as to what it was really like there. Our driver happened to be of nationalist background and didn't seem over-impressed that our next stop was the Crown pub. We're going to do it again sometime and try and get a unionist driver to see if it adds any perspective. You also get to sign the peace wall.

Newgrange is a highlight too, and there's a more basic mound not too far away called Dowth which is totally undeveloped. I thought it a bit nuts to be walking around a field looking at these big rocks of granite laid down 5000 years ago. The nearest granite being 100km away in Wicklow.

Check with your insurance company for discounts, if you haven't already. AXA regularly run discounts on Stena.

* Cork is, of course the real capital. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 851
    Check out Sligo - Wild atlantic way, so close to Galway/Mayo/Donegal -  loads of good pubs, plenty of art and culture events and sports too.
    Also go to Achill island (Banshees of Inisherin spot).
    Keel/Keem beach - camping. Wonderful place.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    edited March 7
    Not much to add here except a photo at Cliffs of Moher.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 27
    If you do visit Galway and have a few minutes to burn then Moloney’s is on the the main tourist drag. They are dealers for Dowina and Eastman, and will have some other nice stuff like Lowden in stock too.

https://www.moloneymusic.com/
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    motorhead said:
    If you do visit Galway and have a few minutes to burn then Moloney’s is on the the main tourist drag. They are dealers for Dowina and Eastman, and will have some other nice stuff like Lowden in stock too.

https://www.moloneymusic.com/
    I'm definitely going to Galway, but only for a Stag Weekend and only for one day. I'll see if I can pop in.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Any mention of the Burren yet? Adare is nice, but compared to a picturesque English village, it might not do it for you. Some interesting Palatine history around there, you can see it in the shop names like "Volkes" etc.
    If you're into getting in the sea, renting a surfboard would be great fun. Or checking out a game of hurling depending on when you go.