Plant based chips?

What's Hot

Comments

• CleckoClecko Frets: 297
    Snap said:
    Plant based is a marketing term that's all. An attempt at being with the zeitgeist, rather than saying simply "vegan".

As a vegetarian, I do ask, if it's not obviously stated, if the chips are done in lard or veg oil. If you go somewhere like Whitby, most chippys use lard as it's traditional. Seems to be more of a seaside thing, the lard (also present on lots of the clientele that frequent said areas).
    The best restaurant in my town is labelled as 'plant-based'. Once you're in, the menu makes it clear that everything they sell is vegan, but the owners said they only got vegan and vegetarian clientele when they labelled themselves 'vegan'. Once they switched to 'plant-based' as the outward-facing descriptor, they started getting patrons (like me) who would normally order a meat or fish dish. Can't get a bloody table there now.   
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427
    Sounds like a good chip shop either way. The one I go to says we cook in vegetable oil in the window. That lets me know I can eat them, and lets people who like meat know that they might want to keep looking for one that cooks in beef dripping.
    What annoys me is when there's no information so I ask and they talk to me like I'm a piece of shit when they say beef dripping.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24647
    edited January 9
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:
    I can assure you that chips cooked in animal fats are definitely not plant based. 
    I would argue to the contrary.  The chips are plant based.  The method of cooking them does not change what they are.
    Cooking them in animal fat (who the fuck deep-fries in animal fat anyway ??!!) would render them non-vegan, but they are still plant based.  If you wrap a carrot in prosciutto, it's still a bloody carrot !
    You are confusing the difference between potatoes and chips.

One is the raw ingredient, one is the final product.  They are not selling raw potatoes, they are selling cooked chips.

Potato is a plant, Chip is the final product for sale, the METHOD of cooking affects the final product, if it does not, then the potato won't be cooked and it won't be a chip.

How can you ignore the very ingredient that turn it into a chip?  They are equally as important as the other.  Try cook it without oil, try it.  Try steam it, try boil it, try bake it or even air fry it.  Without oil.  What do you get?  Not a chip.  It might be crunchy, it might be cooked, but it does not have the same characteristics of a chip.

This is as simple as 1 + 1 = 2.  

I am amazed it needed to be explained....
    So what are these things called.... ?

They are chipped potatoes - chips.  Uncooked chips.  Completely plant based.

Even if you want to argue the toss that a 'chip' isn't a 'chip' until it's been cooked, the phrase is Plant Based.  No matter what you cook it in, the object itself (in this case, a potato chip) is still what it is!

If I fry bacon in vegetable oil, I can't claim that's it's plant based because of the cooking method.  It's still meat.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    edited January 9
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:
    I can assure you that chips cooked in animal fats are definitely not plant based. 
    I would argue to the contrary.  The chips are plant based.  The method of cooking them does not change what they are.
    Cooking them in animal fat (who the fuck deep-fries in animal fat anyway ??!!) would render them non-vegan, but they are still plant based.  If you wrap a carrot in prosciutto, it's still a bloody carrot !

One is the raw ingredient, one is the final product.  They are not selling raw potatoes, they are selling cooked chips.

Potato is a plant, Chip is the final product for sale, the METHOD of cooking affects the final product, if it does not, then the potato won't be cooked and it won't be a chip.

How can you ignore the very ingredient that turn it into a chip?  They are equally as important as the other.  Try cook it without oil, try it.  Try steam it, try boil it, try bake it or even air fry it.  Without oil.  What do you get?  Not a chip.  It might be crunchy, it might be cooked, but it does not have the same characteristics of a chip.

Even if you want to argue the toss that a 'chip' isn't a 'chip' until it's been cooked, the phrase is Plant Based.  No matter what you cook it in, the object itself (in this case, a potato chip) is still what it is!

If I fry bacon in vegetable oil, I can't claim that's it's plant based because of the cooking method.  It's still meat.

What do you do when you are served these UNCOOKED chips...Do you thank the waiter for serving you these "chips"? or do you pull them back and tell them ?  These are UNCOOKED?!  You can't drop the word uncooked can you?

Notice you keep saying UNCOOKED chips, why do you keep saying UNCOOKED chips? because they are UNCOOKED!

Do you see the problem with your analogy here?

The reason....which I can't believe I need to explain...(but considering who I am talking to here, not surprised....) the reason you call them chips is because the expectation of them being fried....if I steam them....then served it to you...what do you call it?  You probably tell me "WTF are these?" and then say "These aren't chips at all, these are soggy wet potatoes!".  Or do you happily eat those steamed chips....and pretend they are normal, regular chips?... The reason they are called chips is the cooking method and ingredients used, they are integral to each other.  Did I just have to explain that?!  I guess I did, again!  You cannot separate the Fat with potato if you want to cook chips.  The 2 ingredients turn potato into chips.  Take away one, you get fat (or oil) and potato.  Put 2 together, you get chips.  Do something else to the potato. you get something else, even if it shapes like a chip, its not.

What you have above, Uncooked potato shaped like chips that is ready for frying....it is NOT chips, you even keep said UNCOOKED CHIPS yourself.

You don't call bacon plant based because you can't cook it without the meat element.  You can cook a potato with meat fat or veg fat....there is a CHOICE there.  I can't believe that needed to be explained...again.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:

Dear @Emp_Fab, I fully support your argument here but you are arguing with folks who have a religious belief in this matter so your wisdom will fall on stoney ground.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    Sporky said:
    two words together as a phrase may nean something specific
    Ta-da.

Consider it like poetry; there is meaning beyond the literal interpretation. 
    No no, Ta means thanks and Da means dad in Northern Ireland  and i'm not your Northern Irish dad, though I do accept your thanks gratefully
    I didn't even know I didn't have a Northern Irish dad, so that is most illuminating. Thank you.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Chalky said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:

Dear @Emp_Fab, I fully support your argument here but you are arguing with folks who have a religious belief in this matter so your wisdom will fall on stoney ground.

@RaymondLin ; was recently asking for restaurant recommendations and didn't mention any particular food requirements, so I don't believe that's the case. I've also used the phrase "I've already shit it out so it hardly matters" in this thread, so perhaps not everyone that mentions eating plants is as militant as you believe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I am not allergic to anything or have any dietary requirements and honestly don't care.  I just care about good food.

I have plenty of photos of my food as proof! No photos of poo though....
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    Is a plate of mashed potato still plant based after pouring bisto over it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 9
    elstoof said:
    Is a plate of mashed potato still plant based after pouring bisto over it
    Depends if you used real butter and milk in your mash...? That is before checking the ingredients in the Bisto.  Mashed potato is the final product, you need butter and milk to turn it from regular potato into mashed potatoes.  Unless you don't put any butter and milk into your mash.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    Some people would apparently believe that butter makes no difference, like beef dripping
    elstoof said:
    Some people would apparently believe that butter makes no difference, like beef dripping
    At least we know Emp will happily eats raw uncooked potatoes and not noticed the difference at all....apparently they are the same as long they shaped like one.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    elstoof said:
    At least we know Emp will happily eats raw uncooked potatoes and not noticed the difference at all....apparently they are the same as long they shaped like one.
    I've eaten raw uncooked potatoes for the last 60+ years.  A good raw potato is superb for its crunch and taste, comparable to the more fibrous apple varieties.
    edited January 9
    Chalky said:
    elstoof said:
    I've eaten raw uncooked potatoes for the last 60+ years.  A good raw potato is superb for its crunch and taste, comparable to the more fibrous apple varieties.
    I notice you didn't say chips.

( I mention nothing about whether they are good or bad for you )....different goal posts.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16945
    Chalky said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Yes, I have a firm non-religious belief, based in fact,  that chips are made with a minimum of 2 ingredients..  You can play about with all kinds of cooking methods or ingredient combinations and still call them chips.  You can't get away from the 2 ingredient minimum and still apply that label

The plant based label applies to the potato, but isn't telling us anything we don't know - but it tells us something very important about the choices made for ingredient number 2.

Like @CavemanGrogg ; I am also guilty of ordering delivery from a Chippy I can see from my front door :D 

• relic245relic245 Frets: 982
    One of our locals advertises chips as gluten-free (potatoes are naturally gluten free) which is presumably a similar concept - perhaps people google "plant based"?

NB: Although "Do Chill Gammon" is possibly the funniest thing I've seen written this year, I'm now craving a traditional gammon and chips with a fried egg and a pineapple slice - so not sure if it had the desired effect.
    Gluten free chips may not be the best description but it's definitely a thing. 

I have a friend who has coeliac disease to the point that she could die if she consumes even the faintest trace of gluten.  That could include chips that have been cooked in the same fat as battered fish. 

One of our local chippies sells fish in gluten free batter and you can also ask for chips that have been cooked in the same fat. 
    relic245 said:
    One of our locals advertises chips as gluten-free (potatoes are naturally gluten free) which is presumably a similar concept - perhaps people google "plant based"?

NB: Although "Do Chill Gammon" is possibly the funniest thing I've seen written this year, I'm now craving a traditional gammon and chips with a fried egg and a pineapple slice - so not sure if it had the desired effect.
    Gluten free chips may not be the best description but it's definitely a thing. 

I have a friend who has coeliac disease to the point that she could die if she consumes even the faintest trace of gluten.  That could include chips that have been cooked in the same fat as battered fish. 

One of our local chippies sells fish in gluten free batter and you can also ask for chips that have been cooked in the same fat. 
    My Mum is like that. We had chips on a day out to Scarborough, they said they were gluten free, next thing she's in bed for weeks and can barely move. She doesn't go to restaurants anymore, because you can see on people's faces they're not sure even though they're saying yes.
    A guy I know used to work at Pizza Hut and said never to go with her. They get gluten free bases and there are clear instructions that they're to be cooked separately, but he said when it's busy the workers will just put them in the main oven with the others or handle them at the same time as regular pizza.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5129
    I've noticed Flash now claim to  use a plan based ingredient. 

Everyone involved in that should be sent to the gulags
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24647
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    maharg101 said:

What do you do when you are served these UNCOOKED chips...Do you thank the waiter for serving you these "chips"? or do you pull them back and tell them ?  These are UNCOOKED?!  You can't drop the word uncooked can you?

Notice you keep saying UNCOOKED chips, why do you keep saying UNCOOKED chips? because they are UNCOOKED!

Do you see the problem with your analogy here?

The reason....which I can't believe I need to explain...(but considering who I am talking to here, not surprised....) the reason you call them chips is because the expectation of them being fried....if I steam them....then served it to you...what do you call it?  You probably tell me "WTF are these?" and then say "These aren't chips at all, these are soggy wet potatoes!".  Or do you happily eat those steamed chips....and pretend they are normal, regular chips?... The reason they are called chips is the cooking method and ingredients used, they are integral to each other.  Did I just have to explain that?!  I guess I did, again!  You cannot separate the Fat with potato if you want to cook chips.  The 2 ingredients turn potato into chips.  Take away one, you get fat (or oil) and potato.  Put 2 together, you get chips.  Do something else to the potato. you get something else, even if it shapes like a chip, its not.

What you have above, Uncooked potato shaped like chips that is ready for frying....it is NOT chips, you even keep said UNCOOKED CHIPS yourself.

You don't call bacon plant based because you can't cook it without the meat element.  You can cook a potato with meat fat or veg fat....there is a CHOICE there.  I can't believe that needed to be explained...again.
    But you also don't call chips non-plant-based because you can't cook them without the veg element!

Cooking bacon in dripping or veg oil - it's still bacon, it's still non-plant-based.

Cooking chips in dripping or veg oil - they're still chips and the chips are still plant-based!

It's not rocket surgery!
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    In a literal sense, chips that were fried in animal fat are plant based.

However, they do not conform to the current zeitgeist, which uses the phrase "plant based" in a particular way.

I'm not sure if zeitgeist is quite the right word, but I've not used it in a while and I like it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom