rip CDs without a compute

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11527
    edited January 16
    There are second hand desktop PCs on gumtree for as little as £30.  You should easily be able to find one with a keyboard and mouse for £50.

Older ones will often have a CD/DVD drive as well so you won't need to buy an external one.

By far the cheapest option.

Just use your TV as a monitor.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    sev112 said:
    sev112 said:
    We haven’t run a computer for years now, how could I go about ripping CDs to a USB stick or memory card ? Are there any gadgets etc out there ?

"I need to crack a nut but I haven't owned a nutcracker for years and now I don't want to. What's the best sledgehammer?"
    I fear we are missing each other’s point?  I don’t want a sledgehammer as I don’t have any fence posts to bang in or walls to demolish .  I want a modern nutcracker

The "modern nutcracker" you seek is a computer with a CD reader and a USB socket, but you've decided you don't want one. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2861
    Thanks all for the suggestions :)
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1034
    I once went into the apple store, downloaded a torrent then copied it to my USB stick..... talk about Apple Service Thanks. 

I mean who lets someone off the street walk in , download torrrent software, go to a Dodgy site, stick in a USB Pen and then copy it.... Nothing locked down. 

Got to love Steve Jobs. 

Had it been Curry's nothing would work :)
    “Ken sent me.”
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12462
    What about a teeny tiny pc?  Plug it in your TV, portable cd drive in one of it's usb ports, wireless KB/Mouse gadget...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited January 16
    The whole “get a pc as they are cheap” just fills me with dread again - operating systems, new accounts and malware software,  hence why I was looking for something simpler, but obviously not much out there in this case.

I was quite tempted by the Brennan kit as I was toying with getting a CD player anyway. But their forum is full of people moaning about it breaking and poor customer service, and the Ripping takes as long as it takes to play the Cd so very slow :(  so I might just give it a bit of time and monitor that.  

ta again all
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 179
    edited January 16
    Usb to ide adaptor. Then get a cheap ide DVD drive from somewhere. (Your local computer repairman's  probably got half a dozen in a box somewhere)
    Plug into phone with an otg  cable
    PetGerbil said:
    Usb to ide adaptor. Then get a cheap ide DVD drive from somewhere. (Your local computer repairman's  probably got half a dozen in a box somewhere)
    This may work with the correct android software (not sure about Iphone)
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I've got an android phone :)
    PetGerbil said:
    Think you mean USB DVD Drive 
    “Ken sent me.”
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29186
    What software would you use? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7054
    Have you tried a magnifying glass and typing in the sequence of pits on the CD into the phone? :) Might be easier just to use the right tool (aka a PC) or buy the MP3s directly from Amazon Music,etc
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    What software would you use? 
    DISC LINK Platinum works (not tried myself)

For me I would use a Raspberry Pi and a USB CDROM, Once they are ripped then stream them through the house or copy the MP3 to USB stick 

Using a Mobile Phone to rip CD's sounds too much hard work 

Or just buy them from Amazon /Google etc

“Ken sent me.”
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11441
    How much would it cost to rent a PC for a few weeks? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29186

For me I would use a Raspberry Pi and a USB CDROM, Once they are ripped then stream them through the house or copy the MP3 to USB stick 

The RPI plan sounds good. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 756
    +1 for the Pi - install fre:ac to rip to mp3 (or flac, if you want lossless, or both, or ...) and Picard to improve the metadata (if you're exacting about that side of things). With Microsoft out of the equation, you might just rediscover a liking for computers.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24704
    Do you have any friends?  It's a trivial job for someone with a laptop or computer.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5035
    Currys have a laptop for £170 (refurbished,1yr warranty) add an external drive £25. It’s not the answer you’re looking for but I’d be surprised you could get an all-in-one CD ripper to mp3 on external USB thing for much less than £200 if it exists. 

EAC (exact audio cop) has access to a database for naming the songs before they’re ripped

Recently bought this drive & seems solid so far

EAC on my computer, no longer has the database link it had when I first installed it.  It might be possible to reinstate it or add the address of another database, if so please let me know what address it is at.  Now when I rip a CD [to FLAC] I manually type in the song names and use MP3TAG [a free app] to 'attach' a scanned image of the CD album cover to each track.  A bit slow but it works as I like to see the album cover on my iPad when I play the tracks.

Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 179
    Is copy protection still a thing with cd's ? Might put a spanner in the works...