Thin body electrics?

What's Hot
grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
edited January 25 in Guitar
Hi all, wondering if anyone can help me out by listing some thin bodied electric guitars?
ive a right shoulder issue that requires surgery. 
Afterwards ive been told to modify my activities etc. 
I get massive pain in my shoulder after I stop playing guitar and go to put my arm back to a normal position so much so I’ve pretty much stopped playing guitar. 

I recently sold a guitar and bought an Ibanez S series thin bodied guitar and surprisingly I’m able to play for about 20-30 minutes with only mild discomfort afterwards. 

The thinness of the body definitely seems to help.
the guitar plays great and sounds really good but I’m not a massive fan of its looks. I don’t hate it, it’s just a little modern metal for my tastes. 

So, are there any other makers or models out there that you know of that are as thin as the Ibanez? 

I don’t hate the guitar at all it looks fine and the best bit is it allows me to play again so it’s not the end of the world if the S series is unique in the world of guitar but I’d love something more me. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Rickenbacker, especially the 400 and 600 series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    Blackmachines were very thin as I recall. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2336
    Prs custom 24 is pretty thin. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    ICBM said:
    Rickenbacker, especially the 400 and 600 series.
    Really? They looked quite squared off at the edges no?

I probably should have mentioned above the thinness at the edge I think is one of the biggest factors of benefit for me.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited January 25
    So it's the physical thinness which helps, not the weight or the way the body's contoured? 

If that's the case, I can't think of anything much other than those Ibanez S models (or the Saber series which they started out as, including the Frank Gambale signature model).

Maybe something like a Parker, if you can live with the looks?  They were super light, but I think pretty thin as well.
    Philly_Q said:
    So it's the physical thinness which helps, not the weight or the way the body's contoured? 

If that's the case, I can't think of anything much other than those Ibanez S models (or the Saber series which they started out as, including the Frank Gambale signature model).
    Yes it’s the thinness and the edge profile that helps keep my elbow closer to my body when playing that helps. 

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, much appreciated. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    edited January 25
    It is the weight or the thinness that helps? How thin is the Ibanez? Mustangs are generally thinner than other fenders but I've no idea how that compares to the Ibanez.

EDIT: the above most mostly asked and answered in the time it took me to post
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • FayeFaye Frets: 127
    SG is the obvious one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Gibson Melody-Maker is pretty skinny if you're not anti LP style guitars.
    edited January 25
    Sesh said:
    How thin is the Ibanez? 
    So thin that the ones with 5-way switches had to have an ugly little black plastic box to give enough depth for the switch to live in:

grungebob said:

Really? They looked quite squared off at the edges no?

I probably should have mentioned above the thinness at the edge I think is one of the biggest factors of benefit for me.  
    They’re thin - about an inch. The 600s are squared off, but the 400s have rounded edges in some areas as well. The bigger semi-acoustics are a little deeper - around 1-1/4” - but the 360 is completely rounded over at the front.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4498
    Sporky said:
    Blackmachines were very thin as I recall. 
    Yep. This was my thought.

Mine is extremely thin and light.

But if the OP is a bit put off by the looks of an Ibanez, as it's a bit too metal. I'm not sure a Blackmachine will float his boat either. I think they're quite a subtle superstrat (maybe apart from the headstock) YMMV.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3810
    Philly_Q said:
    Maybe something like a Parker, if you can live with the looks?  They were super light, but I think pretty thin as well.
    The Parker Dragonfly (I think that mine was the DF624?) is a more conventional shape (also has a regular bolt on neck and doesn't have the glued in frets).  It's the most ridiculously comfortable guitar that I have ever played.

Good luck finding one.  They don't come up that often and, if one does, you'll have to beat me to it.

Musicwolf said:

The Parker Dragonfly (I think that mine was the DF624?) is a more conventional shape (also has a regular bolt on neck and doesn't have the glued in frets).  It's the most ridiculously comfortable guitar that I have ever played.

Good luck finding one.  They don't come up that often and, if one does, you'll have to beat me to it.
    And possibly me if it’s blue or purple.

I thought they had a set neck and the glued-on frets though…

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    The 524, 624, and 724 had bolt-on necks (with no square heel - the neck-back curve extends all the way, like the Nitefly).

I think the original Dragonfly models were set neck. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    SG, but also an SG specifically played standing up with the guitar slung across your right hip (which is the most comfortable way to hold them anyway).  Though honestly a Strat held like that would also work. 

But first... I would get a physio to look at how you're holding your current guitars and how you might be able to optimise that before going and buying something new.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • topdog91topdog91 Frets: 417
    Brian Moores if you can find one.
    Brian Moore MC1 / i9.13p, Chapman ML-2 / ML-3, Fender 1977 Strat Hardtail / Richie Kotzen Telecaster, Peavey Predator / T-60, PRS SE Akerfeldt / Akesson , Squier Classic Vibe 60s Strat, FSR Custom Tele x2, Simon & Patrick Folk Cedar
    edited January 25
    SG, but also an SG specifically played standing up with the guitar slung across your right hip (which is the most comfortable way to hold them anyway).  Though honestly a Strat held like that would also work. 

But first... I would get a physio to look at how you're holding your current guitars and how you might be able to optimise that before going and buying something new.
    I play all my guitars on my right hip already. A strat doesn’t work, that’s the guitar I sold to find the Ibanez sadly. Done 12 weeks of physio and now waiting on shoulder decompression and bicep surgery. 
    The Ibanez seems to work well as my arm is close to my body and actually hangs behind the body of the Ibanez. 

Perhaps I could get this one sprayed and a scratch plate made for it.  Although the curved body might make that impossible. 

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    When I was in Andertons recently they had a couple of Les Pauls with thin bodies.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    Might something with a very small body work?  Steinberger type?