Thin body electrics?

What's Hot

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3494
    Philly_Q said:
    Might something with a very small body work?  Steinberger type?
    Possibly, I even thought about say Flying V and how really there’s no body to get in your way when playing etc, not so sure Explorer would work the same though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you play seated, try not to do so on a sofa or armchair, it causes your shoulder to hunch up and that's the cause of a lot of problems like this.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    grungebob said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Possibly, I even thought about say Flying V and how really there’s no body to get in your way when playing etc, not so sure Explorer would work the same though. 
    I was going to say a Flying V  :), but since the Ibanez is a bit too "metal" I thought the same would apply.  Absolutely right though, it's a big body (and bangs into things if you're not careful), but there's nothing in the way of your playing hand or forearm. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Philly_Q said:
    The Spirit versions are relatively low budget and at a similar price the Traveller guitars which have, if anything, even less of a body.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 691
    edited January 25
    Music Man Majesty 6. Lightweight, ergonomic, thin at the edges. most comfortable guitar I have ever played by some margin.

EDIT: have read through the responses and should add I have owned or played Gambale, Sabre, Parker Fly Deluxe and Strandberg and none of them come close to the comfort of my Majestys. I acknowledge they are not the most budget friendly of options...
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 345
    Strandberg NX6 Original - very light [but well balanced] and very comfortable. sounds fabulous too ...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    I used to have a Pignose travel guitar with not much in the way of a body.

Or you could take the John Mayall approach and get a non-trem guitar and lop off the bits that are superfluous. 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1292
    How about an old Gibson L6S? A friend has one and the body is pretty thin - there's some dimensions here that state 1¼" body thickness, how does that compare to the Ibanez S-Series?

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    Strandberg Boden might be worth a look if you can stomach the looks. Comfiest guitar I've ever played! SG at the hip works nicely too though.
    Just for reference here’s the thickness and profile of the Ibanez

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1917
    Wow, that is thin. The only thinner guitars I've seen were made from old skateboards. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    @grungebob I am about to clean up one of these as part of the collection I am selling. No idea if this is more "you" as far as non-metalhead looks go. I haven't taken photos yet because I need to clean and setup but this is the same model. I think the 12 fret inlay is a different style but colours and headstock are the same:

@jasonbone75 cheers but I don’t do Floyd’s or trems at all really. 

no problemo. that rules out my suggestion of Majesty as well :)
  • luckylucky Frets: 20
    Very not metal- the Hofner verythin? 

(if this was QI this is where the buzzer goes off)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 705
    edited January 25
    Marmite, but the other big-ish brand that’s done some very thin designs is DBZ/Dean Zelinsky, e.g.:

The mass-produced DBZ ones are (or at least were) inexpensive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 354
    Have you considered a different type of strap? I seem to recall maybe Matt Heafy from Trivium has a strap that goes over both shoulders like a backpack. 
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 392
    I can vouch for this guitar. It’s lovely!

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/257227/
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    grungebob said:

I get massive pain in my shoulder after I stop playing guitar and go to put my arm back to a normal position. 
    I know this is a diversion from talking about guitars, but might the solution be to change your playing position? Have you tried adjusting how your guitar sits against your body so that you can play with your right arm in a “normal position”? Something with a strap re-positioned to the back of the body will push the neck forward and bring the bridge closer to your body
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    grungebob said:

I get massive pain in my shoulder after I stop playing guitar and go to put my arm back to a normal position. 
    I know this is a diversion from talking about guitars, but might the solution be to change your playing position? Have you tried adjusting how your guitar sits against your body so that you can play with your right arm in a “normal position”? Something with a strap re-positioned to the back of the body will push the neck forward and bring the bridge closer to your body
    Appreciate the suggestion but it does seem to be all about how far my elbow is away from my body and the strain on the long bicep tendon from strumming. The thinner the body the more natural my arm lies. 
    I’ve basically got to have the bone shaved and the tendon cut away to have no pain.