Pacifica Pro Series

What's Hot
Yamaha have released a top tier of Pacifica guitars. 

£1k for the "Standard plus" Made in Indonesia
£2k for the "Pro" Made in Japan

I'm not keen on the faded jeans colour of one of them and the abruptly cut off scratchplate, but other than that I'm sure they're great. 
However, those prices are firmly in Fender American Standard territory. 

What do you think? 
My prediction without having touched one is that they're superb guitars, will be considered a bit vanilla and would depreciate like a stone if you bought one.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    Paging @JohnCordy ;

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    I do wonder if they have dumped the narrow nut of the older Pacifica’s  but I think most of us wince at £2k for a Yamaha no matter how good they are 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    I can only imagine they've done this based on the success of the Revstar line being reorganised in a similar way - dumping the numbering system for Professional/Standard etc. The pickguard is certainly nodding to the Revstar, even if it looks a bit odd.

I think it's cool that they've got properly high-end Pacificas again for the first time in years, buuuut I'd still rather have a 90s 912 or 1421.

However, if I were in the position where I was gigging a lot and needed something unassuming and versatile, I have to say I think I'd rather one of these than the equivalent Fender offering.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    I think your prediction is exactly right. I used to own a Pacifica 611H which was an excellent guitar but lacked something in the personality department. To be fair, when I did move it on, it hadn’t depreciated by anything like as much as I was expecting. Have I missed it? Yes, a little bit but not enough that I see myself ever buying another.

As an aside, when Yamaha first introduced the Pacifica it was as a ‘Professional ‘ model. The budget versions came along later.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Can't help but feel that they are playing it way too safe. 

https://reverb.com/uk/item/13587765-yamaha-pacifica-80-s-sparkle-orange
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 747
    They give me an Ibanez AZ series vibe - posh superstrats with all the trimmings.

I like the scratchplate; it makes them look a little different, and associates them with the much-more-cool Revstar line. 

If I was in the market for an expensive s-type, I’d be looking at these. My first electric was a Yammy so I have a soft spot for the brand. 

I’d love to see a high-end RGZ or RGX as well - a balls out shred machine. 
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 396
    Any word where they’re being made in Japan? Do Yamaha have their own factories or do they use one of the OEMs?
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 651
    Yamaha have their own factory in Hammamatsu Japan (and their own in Indonesia I think?).

The nuts are 42mm on these.

I think @RichAC is about bang on in terms of this being relatively close to the Ibanez Az, the neck is not quite as chunky which is one of the few downsides I think some folks had with the Ibanez Az, and for me personally I prefer the pickups in the Pacificas 
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited January 26
    Lot of competition in this £1k and £2k market now and the Yamaha isn't exactly a standout with a  supporting artist legacy that draws a breadth of player base.

No matter how technically brilliant it may be. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    edited January 26
    Sync said:
    Lot of competition in this £1k and £2k market now and the Yamaha isn't exactly a standout with a  supporting artist legacy that draws a breadth of player base.
    Are Michael Lee Firkins and Bill Leverty not still going strong...?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    Philly_Q said:
    Sync said:
    Are Michael Lee Firkins and Bill Leverty not still going strong...?
    I rest my case
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    Sync said:

No matter how technically brilliant it may be. 

They'll get Mancuso to play them?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlunAlun Frets: 173
    I think they look fantastic, love the city pop styling and liking the sound of the pickups so far. I was about to start modding my Player Strat but am seriously tempted to sell it and put the money towards one of these instead. Depreciation is certainly a thing to consider but ultimately I’d rather just get the guitar I’m more excited about than waste my days worrying about residual value. Only question mark for me is whether the Professional version is worth the extra outlay. Will probably pop down to Andertons to compare when they take stock. 
    JohnCordy said:
    I think @RichAC is about bang on in terms of this being relatively close to the Ibanez Az, the neck is not quite as chunky which is one of the few downsides I think some folks had with the Ibanez Az, and for me personally I prefer the pickups in the Pacificas 
    That's the first time I've ever seen anything saying Ibanez necks might be a bit too chunky.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bit on the overpriced side for what is basically a Strat copy.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    Bit on the overpriced side for what is basically a Strat copy.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Yup, that too.
  • AlunAlun Frets: 173

Could argue that for basically any guitar though. Heck, you could argue most Fenders are overpriced. 
  • Alun said:

Could argue that for basically any guitar though. Heck, you could argue most Fenders are overpriced. 
    If one is prepared to do a bit of DIY, there are a ton of two-hundred quid Strat copies these days which - courtesy of CNC cutting - are basically okay from a wood standpoint which you can then throw some better parts on and cross the finish line at about the four hundred quid mark, and they'd piss all over that thing.
    Alun said:
    There are many on this forum who would argue that any guitar more expensive than the most basic of Harley Bentons is overpriced.  And I hope they have great fun playing their diddley bows and tea-chest basses.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom