Pacifica Pro Series

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8104
    Bit on the overpriced side for what is basically a Strat copy.
    These days, so are Strats 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
     I paid £300 for my immaculate PAC611 VFM and it's a stonkingly good guitar for the money. 

But for £2k you want some serious street cred, and whilst there are loyal Pacifica folk out there I'm afraid the Pacifica just doesn't have that yet.  It may in the future, but not yet. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2554
    edited February 7
    The Pacifica was not designed from the outset as a student model, even though that's eventually where it found most success. It was originally designed with the LA session/studio scene in mind, and the first core model in 1989 was the 912, so fairly high up the Yamaha hierarchy, with even posher 14xxs available.The ubiquitous 112 didn't come about until 1993. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarbonCopyCarbonCopy Frets: 281
    timmypix said:
    The Pacifica was not designed from the outset as a student model, even though that's eventually where it found most success. It was originally designed with the LA session/studio scene in mind, and the first core model in 1989 was the 912, so fairly high up the Yamaha hierarchy, with even posher 14xxs available.The ubiquitous 112 didn't come about until 1993. 

I had a 912 some years ago. It played and sounded just OK and I believe it had Dimarzio pickups. It was rather underwhelming to play though and lacked sustain. Whether that was as a result of the thin neck, the cheap looking vibrato or the odd way the neck connected to the body, I'm not sure. I seem to recall that the neck was attached to a metal plate and the metal plate was attached to the body.

The 812w was much better and I preferred the Wilkinson vibrato and Seymour Duncan pickups. It was still uninspiring to play though.

I will try the new ones to see how they compare but suspect it will be more of the same.
  • My first electric was a Pacifica and it was great. These new ones look and sound good and if I were playing electric I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.