New boots needed

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15879
    octatonic said:
    Red Wing Iron Rangers.
    "I'd spend close to £100."

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13049
    I get my boots from Military Kit. Super Grade or Grade 1 used. Most of the time I can't see they've ever been tried on.

For my current boots I got a pair of Meindl boots, RRP £375, for £65.
    They look brand new and are the most comfy boots I've ever had.

Obviously with surplus stuff the stock varies a lot, but it's definitely worth a look.
    Just bought a pair of these on the back of this - top tip. 

Really comfy, can tell they're quality. They're ugly as sin mind you but they'll only get worn in apocalyptic weather or in a muddy field so I'll cope. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33984
    VimFuego said:
    octatonic said:
    Red Wing Iron Rangers.
    "I'd spend close to £100."
    Ah, missed that. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1543
    I love my Redwings, Danner make a great pair also.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19399
    I get my boots from Military Kit. Super Grade or Grade 1 used. Most of the time I can't see they've ever been tried on.

Obviously with surplus stuff the stock varies a lot, but it's definitely worth a look.

Really comfy, can tell they're quality. They're ugly as sin mind you but they'll only get worn in apocalyptic weather or in a muddy field so I'll cope. 
    Enjoy them, they're top quality boots.
    I found that the rubber 'lace lock' tab drives me to distraction when trying to get them off in a hurry after a wet dog walk.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1069
    This thread should be renamed The Ugly Footwear thread.

One of you must be Tommy Saxondale.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7126
    tFB Trader
    I bought these from Military Kit. Haix Airpower Jungle Boot Army Combat Patrol Boots £45.

Not exactly for everyday wear but perfect for the allotment.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    You should look on Vinted. I got my latest pair of Meindl hiking boots for £50 there, and they came in the box with the tags on and paper balls inside the shoes. They RRP for £180. These are my second pair of Meindls and I wear them almost every day, got the first ones in 2015 and just replaced them in November. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1158
    For those struggling with the brief, these are on my consideration list. They're a casual style, trainer based rather than rigid shoe style, comfy to go to gigs, sit in the pub, walk around town for a bit, etc.

Not bad at £50, and I have a pair of trainers from the same range which I quite like.

https://www.supereight.net/shop/etnies-jameson-htw-winterised-skate-shoes-brown-black-tan/?attribute_pa_size=7-uk&gclid=CjwKCAiAtt2tBhBDEiwALZuhAN37rzRssKRHmjGGtxy9My1LDn--TxVALXxiDo79NDFH0T0Z0n18CxoCRSgQAvD_BwE

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4253
    octatonic said:
    Red Wing Iron Rangers.
    These.

I bought a pair nearly ten years ago and they're just coming due for a resole. The leather's held up brilliantly on them too - they're my biking boots so they've been worn in all weathers for tens of thousands of miles of riding, with lots of walking around in-between and full days in the office. I wouldn't hesitate to replace them with another identical pair, and wouldn't bother looking at anything else now.

(Though they're above the budget!)
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 359
    bertie said:
    and panties ?   I think Spork's got that covered
    Now there's a reason to be cheerful.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
  • oafoaf Frets: 301
    Meh I tried to include a pic but mobile phone and this website...
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1543
    octatonic said:
    Red Wing Iron Rangers.
    These.

I bought a pair nearly ten years ago and they're just coming due for a resole. The leather's held up brilliantly on them too - they're my biking boots so they've been worn in all weathers for tens of thousands of miles of riding, with lots of walking around in-between and full days in the office. I wouldn't hesitate to replace them with another identical pair, and wouldn't bother looking at anything else now.

(Though they're above the budget!)
    I've 2 pairs of moc toes and a pair of chukka's, I've just had a pair of moc toe's resoled with a vibram lug sole,, makes them really chunky and stand right out!
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 444

Now THAT is a pair of boots!

Most of the better quality boots have you looking like an extra from the movie Jarhead. I tend to use Merrells which are good for about 5 years then they disintegrate. Don't look too hideous though.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    oaf said:
    Yes, those fit the brief nicely. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12459
    edited January 31
    I bought Nike Mid Winter Ebernon in green from Vinted for £16 last year, warm and waterproof, might be up your alley? 
    https://keeshoes.com/nike-ebernon-mid-winter-m-aq8754-300-shoes-green-i70430.html
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    Yeah, those Nike boots are in the right ballpark 
  • bbill335 said:
    if the sole's are still waterproof i'd just polish those up and keep wearing them. seems wasteful to get "new, and different, but similar" rather than something totally different for different occasions.
    That's a reasonable point. The upper on one of these has come unstitched and Timpsons said they couldn't repair it. So I used leather glue, which has worked but made them ugly. The soul is starting to tear because they're a slightly large fit so you get that sharp kink above the toes. They'll probably work for another month, but they've lasted me 6 years so far so I don't feel too bad about ditching them now.

PS @JAYJO ;
    I won't be using these for cycle commuting, but the all-weather capability is a nice comfort to have. You're right though, military boots wouldn't be my choice.

The soul may be torn, but if the heart's ok then they might go on for years! ;-)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24878

They grip really well when it's icy too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd