Small direct to house options

What's Hot
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a floor modeller that is small enough to fit in my gig bag. I currently have a Helix LT and a Fractal 2XL but both units are pretty humungous!

Been looking at the Boss GT1 - any good?

Don't want to spend Quad Cortex money.

Thanks all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    As you already have a Helix, the HX Stomp is the obvious choice. The new Kemper player is pretty impressive too.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    Boss IR2?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27236
    HX Stomp or Boss IR2 are the most obvious. Also Strymon Iridium 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Thanks everyone - I have an IR2 on the way already.
    Really looking for a multi fx that is small enough to pop in my gigbag, but also capable of amp/cab simulation so I can plug direct to the pa.

My aim is to have a ridiculously simple load in/out capability when using IEM
  • drwiddly said:
    As you already have a Helix, the HX Stomp is the obvious choice. The new Kemper player is pretty impressive too.
    Kemper player looks almost perfect - a tad pricey though!
    I also think I'd find the lack of a screen problematic. Still looks like a great bit of kit though
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    I’ve recently picked up a Valeton GP200 which sounds great. Couple of annoying things that I’m trying g to work around, but so far so good for the price (£213 new I paid)
  • I’ve recently picked up a Valeton GP200 which sounds great. Couple of annoying things that I’m trying g to work around, but so far so good for the price (£213 new I paid)
    What's annoying about it? 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited February 3
    I’ve recently picked up a Valeton GP200 which sounds great. Couple of annoying things that I’m trying g to work around, but so far so good for the price (£213 new I paid)
    I had one but ultimately returned it.  I did a detailed review that I shared with Valeton/Sonicake here that may be of interest. 
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cq8dk60mWy5gJ_1YveeRtM4-701y0pd7/view?usp=drive_link

I have the Line 6 Pod Go which is a very good all-in-one mfx solution, and utilizes Helix modelling.  Not as powerful as Helix LT but its compact, light, with good floor control and expression pedal.  Since v2.0 it has the new cab engine and IR cabs from Helix v3.5.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Thanks everyone - some really helpful responses 
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    Mostly the fact you cant rename the blocks on the display if you’re in stomp mode so you know what you’re turning on or off…it just keeps the standard Control 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. I read @Voxman’s document which is very thorough and will give you more of an idea (I can see past some of the things mentioned so I guess it’s how you want to use it)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    The GT-1 is great, and does fit in a gig bag pocket, but it's a pig to edit on the fly - or at all, compared to a lot of other multi-FX. It's very powerful and can be configured in several different ways (I have mine set with three individual effect switches, rather than patch up/patch down/control) but if you're not naturally inclined to getting your head around that sort of thing it's probably not the one for you... and unfortunately the much simpler and more intuitive ME series are also much bigger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 140
    Voxman said:
    I had one but ultimately returned it.  I did a detailed review that I shared with Valeton/Sonicake here that may be of interest. 
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cq8dk60mWy5gJ_1YveeRtM4-701y0pd7/view?usp=drive_link

I have the Line 6 Pod Go which is a very good all-in-one mfx solution, and utilizes Helix modelling.  Not as powerful as Helix LT but its compact, light, with good floor control and expression pedal.  Since v2.0 it has the new cab engine and IR cabs from Helix v3.5.

Wow, that’s a thorough report @Voxman they should employ you!

I know you have some experience with the Zoom G5…to your knowledge is there anything out there with the same functionality / workflow but with better sounds?

I just use 1 patch, in stomp mode, sometimes all 9 fx, which I can see what they are by their graphics (with some deft scrolling), plus tube booster. I could sacrifice the z-pedal. I need to be able to have multiple instances of the same fx.

thanks!
    edited February 8

I know you have some experience with the Zoom G5…to your knowledge is there anything out there with the same functionality / workflow but with better sounds?

I just use 1 patch, in stomp mode, sometimes all 9 fx, which I can see what they are by their graphics (with some deft scrolling), plus tube booster. I could sacrifice the z-pedal. I need to be able to have multiple instances of the same fx.

thanks!
    Well, at they could at least send me the GP200 or a Mk2 free to reassess once they've sorted it! lol

I've had both the G5 and the G5n.  Do you need just FX or amp/cab modelling too?  The G5n was better sounding than the G5 but the amp models took up 2 blocks, and cab model 1 block whereas all of that was one block in the G5. And some fx eg EQ took up two blocks too, so you could use up its 9 blocks pretty quickly! o

I'm not personally familiar with the Boss GT1, but as @ICBM points out it's a pig to tweak on the fly. 

Multiple instances of the same FX can be a problem if the FX you choose are heavy on DSP eg spring reverbs in Helix. 

However, the Boss GX100 could be your best option. No fixed blocks, AIRD amp modelling brought over from the flagship GT1000, 150 Boss fx, dual routing and (subject to DSP limits) can allow up to 15 blocks so you should have plenty of scope for multiple fx versions in the same patch,  Boss build quality, all metal construction, decent options to program control switches with good floor control, touch screen, built in expression pedal, good edit software, can hold up to 20 third-party IR's, and prices have dropped a bit.  Great quality sounds, typically c£449 (GAK, Gear4Music), IntaAudio are currently selling these new with free delivery for £432.  That's a cracking deal, & I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything better at this price point! 
    https://www.inta-audio.com/boss-gx-100-next-gen-guitar-effects-processor-p17306/s17313

There's also one on EBay 'opened-never used) for a BIN of £385 plus £15.45 or best offer
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256367363581?
    but frankly, unless he comes down a fair bit you're safer/better to buy it new!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:

thanks!
    Well, at they could at least send me the GP200 or a Mk2 free to reassess once they've sorted it! lol

I've had both the G5 and the G5n.  Do you need just FX or amp/cab modelling too?  The G5n was better sounding than the G5 but the amp models took up 2 blocks, and cab model 1 block whereas all of that was one block in the G5. And some fx eg EQ took up two blocks too, so you could use up its 9 blocks pretty quickly! o

I'm not personally familiar with the Boss GT1, but as @ICBM points out it's a pig to tweak on the fly. 

Multiple instances of the same FX can be a problem if the FX you choose are heavy on DSP eg spring reverbs in Helix. 

However, the Boss GX100 could be your best option. No fixed blocks, AIRD amp modelling brought over from the flagship GT1000, 150 Boss fx, dual routing and (subject to DSP limits) can allow up to 15 blocks so you should have plenty of scope for multiple fx versions in the same patch,  Boss build quality, all metal construction, decent options to program control switches with good floor control, touch screen, built in expression pedal, good edit software, can hold up to 20 third-party IR's, and prices have dropped a bit.  Great quality sounds, typically c£449 (GAK, Gear4Music), IntaAudio are currently selling these new with free delivery for £432.  That's a cracking deal, & I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything better at this price point! 
    https://www.inta-audio.com/boss-gx-100-next-gen-guitar-effects-processor-p17306/s17313

There's also one on EBay 'opened-never used) for a BIN of £385 plus £15.45 or best offer
    Thanks @Voxman - that’s a great suggestion, I’ll take a good look but I think I’d need to try one first at that price. I might pop to PMT on my way home tomorrow afternoon anyway, I’m sure they’ll have the Boss.

I do think Zoom are missing a trick…they had such a perfect system with the G5 (and G3 etc) but they ruined it in the G5n and that horrible G6 monstrosity. 

You be just had a thought…TC Plethora. That’s kind of the same system isn’t it?
    …no it’s not, just had a look and it’s got no dist or amp models
    edited February 8
    Voxman said:

thanks!

Thanks @Voxman - that’s a great suggestion, I’ll take a good look but I think I’d need to try one first at that price. I might pop to PMT on my way home tomorrow afternoon anyway, I’m sure they’ll have the Boss.

I do think Zoom are missing a trick…they had such a perfect system with the G5 (and G3 etc) but they ruined it in the G5n and that horrible G6 monstrosity. 

You be just had a thought…TC Plethora. That’s kind of the same system isn’t it?
    Buy from somewhere that has a good return policy eg Thomann, no quibble 30 day return policy for any reason, 3yr warranty, very good to deal with. That should give you plenty of time to try it out. I had one for nearly 3 weeks and I think you'll be impressed.  I liked it, only reason I didn't keep it is I already had a Pod Go and at the time the GX100 was £500 and I didn't think I could justify this for the extra it gave me, and I'd miss snapshots and Line 6 commitment to regular upgrades.

But if it had been out when I bought Pod Go I'd have snapped it up. 
  • OK all, tell me if I'm crazy but I'm thinking about doing this:

Line 6 Helix LT into DSM Simplifier mk2 into FOH.

My rationale is that I'm never happy with the amp modelling in the Helix, so I'll use Helix as an FX processor only, 4 cable method, time-based/modulations in FX loop of the DSM, comps, drives, wah etc in front of the DSM.

Thoughts?

• susbemolsusbemol Frets: 421
    You're crazy
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemol said:
    You're crazy
    Any particular reason? 
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2644
    Well, not crazy, that would be a bit strong, but perhaps you'd be better off with an HX FX if you're not using the amp modelling. 

(Fan of both the LT and the FX, and the Stomp come to think of it. And most of my activity is with the Simplifier II and Tech 21 Fly Rig at the moment. Am thinking of putting the Simplifier together with the FX and relying on the Fly Rig for open mics for boring "this thing has a lot of knobs to be knocked out of position" reasons re: the Simplifier.

When I decide on a solution I don't really get option paralysis, but boy do I get it when I'm trying to decide on which solution to go for.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom