Bath Guitar Shops

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
edited February 7 in Guitar
Visiting bath city center this weekend .. which shop has the most sizeable collection of used guitars?
Looking to plan ahead as I only have a few hours to burn 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 351
    Vintage and Rare, but I don’t think they’re open on a weekend.  When they are open it’s appointment only.  The only other shop I’m aware of is Guitarbitz.  I think they only have new stock.
  • BahHumbug said:
    Vintage and Rare, but I don’t think they’re open on a weekend.  When they are open it’s appointment only.  The only other shop I’m aware of is Guitarbitz.  I think they only have new stock.
    Thanks, I was just about to mention 'not vintage' as I doubt there's anything vintage within my budget 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 842
    Guitar Bitz has second hand stuff upstairs in their newly opened room. Worth a little browse but it’s not huge
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1610
    If you contact in advance, Vintage & Rare should arrange a visit on Saturday (you may have to feign interest in advance for something particular !!).

Guitarbitz is a nice shop with friendly staff and plenty of new gear. They also have a decent used section up the stairs - which is always worth a look.

Enjoy !
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited February 8
    Thanks, I'll give guitarbitz a visit. I'd be way out of my depth in Vintage and Rare. I don't think I can bring myself to spend any more than a grand on guitars these days!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1445
    +1 to Guitarbitz.
    Great guitar shop - and the bloke behind the counter was super friendly and happy to chat guitars.

I've always wanted to go to Vintage and Rare but find the whole appointment only thing intimidating.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9619
    Vintage and rare was a great place to visit - they have other stock that isn't just high priced vintage, such as 42nd street and local luthier guitars. They were really generous in letting people try out vintage instruments or any stock.
    Shame they've gone appt only. The last time I was in Bath, I wanted to pop in as half tempted to buy a vintage tele they had. When it was shut, I didn't ever contact them and it saved me money. I bet I'd have walked away with it if they had been open. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    edited February 8
    Yeah, V&R in Bath have always been very helpful, willing to let me try out guitars, and not at all pushy. It's a really laid back place.

It's inconvenient that they're appointment only nowadays, but don't let that put you off!

Guitarbitz is only one minute's walk away, so it's worth doing both if you can.

Incidentally, the pub across the road from V&R is the place where this sorry incident happened for Kier Starmer:

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    edited February 8
    I've contacted vintage and rare to see if they want to snap up the esp navigator 380 LP that's being criminally overlooked on here   
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    +1 Guitarbitz too. Guys in there are super helpful and friendly. Sold my guitar in there recently. Deals can be had there too imo 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1823
    edited February 9
    InactiveX said:
    Yeah, V&R in Bath have always been very helpful, willing to let me try out guitars, and not at all pushy. It's a really laid back place.

It's inconvenient that they're appointment only nowadays, but don't let that put you off!

Guitarbitz is only one minute's walk away, so it's worth doing both if you can.

Incidentally, the pub across the road from V&R is the place where this sorry incident happened for Kier Starmer:

Ha ha yes the Raven. Great Pie Minister pies served too. Funnily enough 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2001
    What a great idea to have a bath and play guitar. Just make sure it's not electric!
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7137
    tFB Trader
    Spent a great night in the Raven once with the late Ian Cognito.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    edited February 9
    Spent a great night in the Raven once with the late Ian Cognito.
    He was at Bath university when I was there, didn't know him but I saw his band once.  Of course he was just Paul Barbieri then.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23760
    All the guitar shops which were there in the 1980s have gone, I see.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9848
    edited February 9
    What a great idea to have a bath and play guitar. Just make sure it's not electric!
    Unfortunately my mate didn’t realise I was joking when I told him it was ok to play electric guitar in the bath. He was more than just angry; he was incandescent!
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 9
    HAL9000 said:
    Unfortunately my mate didn’t realise I was joking when I told him it was ok to play electric guitar in the bath. He was more than just angry; he was incandescent!
    Shoulda told him to lighten up a bit 

My friend got electrocuted badly as well, he was a conductor 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1028
    am def interested in visiting guitar biz as i had never even heard of the place until last year (i did a night ride to bath and looked through their window) it looks a good shop for sure.

i have messaged them to ask if they can order a sterling st vincent guitar for me to try as i am interested in them but i don't want to order online as £1000 odd quid isn't loose change if i don't gel with it. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22611
    The Salamander is the better pub though. If you want the pies, Pieminster have their own venue in Bath now. 

https://pieminister.co.uk/restaurants/bath/

Philly_Q said:
    It's sad seeing the state of Bath now. The guitar shops have gone, the record shops are a distant memory, most of the de ent pubs have gone. 

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1610
    The Salamander is the better pub though. If you want the pies, Pieminster have their own venue in Bath now. 

https://pieminister.co.uk/restaurants/bath/

Philly_Q said:
    It's sad seeing the state of Bath now. The guitar shops have gone, the record shops are a distant memory, most of the de ent pubs have gone. 
    Steady on - it’s not that bad - I love it here !!!

Sadly though, I think that’s the same for many towns and cities. I spent thirty five years in London, mainly Brixton and Stoke Newington, and they’re both now a shadow of what they were (which was far more geared towards maximum experience for minimum expense).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom