Bath Guitar Shops

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22611
    Steady on - it’s not that bad - I love it here !!!

Sadly though, I think that’s the same for many towns and cities. I spent thirty five years in London, mainly Brixton and Stoke Newington, and they’re both now a shadow of what they were (which was far more geared towards maximum experience for minimum expense).
    I quite agree. Two spells in London, four years in Bath, four in Bristol, there's a lot of changes. Bath in the mid 90s for me in my teens was bloody awesome. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    edited February 10
    Philly_Q said:
    All the guitar shops which were there in the 1980s have gone, I see.
    It's sad seeing the state of Bath now. The guitar shops have gone, the record shops are a distant memory, most of the decent pubs have gone. 
    I remember Rival Records in particular.  There were a couple of other places too but I forget the names.  One might have been a very small branch of Virgin Records.  Don't know about the pubs, I wasn't really a drinker back then.

When we visited a couple of years ago the place had changed so much, especially in that area around the Theatre Royal.  It took ages to get my bearings.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 351
    I grew up in West Yorkshire, but have spent my adult life living in Wiltshire.  On the odd occasion that I fancy a ‘wandering around shops’ day (actually half a day is about my limit), Bath is absolutely my favourite place to go.
    I’m interested to hear of GuitarBitz’s upstairs second hand room.  I shall have a look in the next time I’m over there.
  • Also in Bath next weekend, so enjoying this thread! Not sure the wife will appreciate being dragged round guitar shops on Valentines weekend but i'll give it a go!

Bath, Stratford & Chester are our usual weekend break haunts, best 3 places in the country for a weekend break IMHO
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    Ha ha yes the Raven. Great Pie Minister pies served too. Funnily enough 
    The Salamander is the better pub though. If you want the pies, Pieminster have their own venue in Bath now. 

https://pieminister.co.uk/restaurants/bath/

Philly_Q said:
    All the guitar shops which were there in the 1980s have gone, I see.
    It's sad seeing the state of Bath now. The guitar shops have gone, the record shops are a distant memory, most of the de ent pubs have gone. 

I would very much recommend the Old Green Tree over the Raven and the Sal. It's a very cosy, lovely old pub, no loud crap music, and some interesting things on tap. It's right near the two guitar shops.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22611
    InactiveX said:

I would very much recommend the Old Green Tree over the Raven and the Sal. It's a very cosy, lovely old pub, no loud crap music, and some interesting things on tap. It's right near the two guitar shops.

Yerp. And I'll still cry that the Hobgoblin is no more.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Steady on - it’s not that bad - I love it here !!!

Sadly though, I think that’s the same for many towns and cities. I spent thirty five years in London, mainly Brixton and Stoke Newington, and they’re both now a shadow of what they were (which was far more geared towards maximum experience for minimum expense).
    I quite agree. Two spells in London, four years in Bath, four in Bristol, there's a lot of changes. Bath in the mid 90s for me in my teens was bloody awesome. 

spent about 6 months working at the MOD, in the mid 90s   split between Fox Hill and their building in Bath (next to Quasar before the big move to Abbey Wood, -  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 257
    I bought my first ever guitar, amp and fuzz box in Bath. Just did a walk-by in Google Maps and the shop now seems to be a restaurant.
    edited February 13
    InactiveX said:

Yerp. And I'll still cry that the Hobgoblin is no more.

Oi! You goffic!

The Hobgoblin was falling apart at the seams when it closed. Really decrepit - which was good.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • I’ve lived in Bath since the 80s… yes, Guitar Bitz is the only option for sub £1k and general stuff … I hear their new used area upstairs is good. I can remember when Bath had a vibrant live music scene in pubs etc etc & there was a nice handful of guitar shops … Ducks, Sounds international, Assembly music (where my first real guitar came from in about 1992)… Bath music centre for school stuff & cheaper end  … the odd obscure vintage guitar in Aspedistra … great days … 
    Julian

Owner of the New (in 2019) guitar shop in Frome, Somerset. Coffee House Guitars. Selling a range of high end used guitars.

edited March 1
    Aspidistra! I'd completely forgotten that! "Where musical instruments go to die" I once heard it called.

They used to have the old Roland synths and drum machines selling for a few quid before Acid House came out.

My Dad bought a bass from Assembly Music. The owner was a real arsehole to me once when I was 15 and I hadn't learned how to answer back. Funny how these things stay in your memory for years...
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters