CTS Pots - Hugely disappointing or?..

What's Hot
KurasKuras Frets: 72
edited February 12 in Guitar
I recently 'upgraded' the pots in my 67 Jazzmaster. Unfortunately it came with cheap Jap pots so I thought I'd upgrade them to some Fender Pure Vintage JM 1m. What a load of rubbish! The taper is worst than before, the volume and tone do nothing until 2 or 3 then cut off dead fast. There is no range of subtlety to the sweep. What a rip off.

But is this a Jazzmaster thing? Do all JMs have this kind of sweep from their vol and tone?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 7063
    edited February 11
    Did you choose the right taper for the pots that suited your needs? Sound like you have put in linear taper, which I’m thinking might work better for my use case.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KurasKuras Frets: 72
    @mrkb Yes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14821
    1Meg Linear taper is historically correct for Jazzmaster and Jaguar. I am not a fan of these but any other resistance taper ruins the sound.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    tFB Trader
    Just use linear volumes log volumes are bloody rubbish simple as that, I'd have told you that had you asked.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3516
    I'm going to have to go against the grain here, but I fucking despise CTS pots. 

Alpha pots all the way (the full size ones). 
  • RobG3294RobG3294 Frets: 477
    edited February 11
    They're both made in the far east - in the CTS case, it's Taiwan. The big factor one should be aware of with pots is of course the taper and especially with 1MOhm pots, any form of custom logarithmic/audio taper is going to get very juicy, very quickly and vice versa, even worse when considering typical pot tolerances.

CTS pots however are not ubiquitous - the stuff made for Fender is really the budget spec, even the pots used on the OV series stuff. A series which in every other instance are top quality bits. The stuff related to custom orders i.e. Emerson/Mojotone/RS Superpots is again, marketing hyperbole electrically speaking to a great degree but does give you a slightly more robust pot than the bottom rung CTS one. 

People have this stupid idea (perpetuated by YouTubers etc that don't really know a thing about electronics) that CTS pot upgrades are some magical USA made goodness that replaces for instance an Alpha pot. Alpha pots are used on very expensive amps for instance. Gibson used CGE (Mexican made) pots for years until they swapped to CTS at some point in the late 2000s when CGE shut down. The reason high end builders shoot for CTS now is that there really is not much else kicking around - for Guitars anyway. 

As some have said, your best bet for volume is a linear taper, however I've found the DiMarzio custom taper CTS pots to be quite nice.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    It’s not the taper ratio which irritates me, but the fact that modern pots don’t taper: they change in steps.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73139
    You need log for tone, and linear or log for volume depending on preference - I find linear better with 1M, or the drop-off (and treble loss) is too steep at the top.

Unfortunately CTS have followed the well-worn J. A. Richards path ("there is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper") beloved of modern corporate industry, rather than maintaining quality at the expense of putting prices up, which some other manufacturers - Switchcraft in particular - seem to have done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1469

Alpha pots all the way (the full size ones). 
    Agreed.  Plenty of CTS failures over the years, but the Alpha full size have been perfect.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    My experience of current production CTS log pots is that they suddenly ‘switch on’ as you turn them up, very much as described by the OP.
  • AlexlotlAlexlotl Frets: 185
    I had a tech put 1 meg CTS Audio pots into a Tele Deluxe recently, volume and tone, to go with a set of CuNiFe WRHBs. 

The audio taper works great on the tone knobs, but the volume has a usable range of about 1/5th of the dial. I wish I’d gone Linear for volume.

From stuff I read on TGP, Fender used to use different ratio audio tapers back in the day, e.g 10% for tone and 30% for volume (or vice versa?), which might have been a better fit. 
    Alexlotl said:

The audio taper works great on the tone knobs, but the volume has a usable range of about 1/5th of the dial. I wish I’d gone Linear for volume.
    You can actually fix it to a large extent fairly easily without replacing the pots, if you add a resistor (try 220K first) between the input and output terminals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    TBH, I swapped out the pots in my Jazzmaster to 500K Log (CTS) and now its perfect.

Did I loose the 'Jazzmaster sound'? Nope. But now I have a volume control and a tone control that aren't switches.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    I now no longer recommend CTS pots - Alpha or Bourns are what I fit these days. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12062
    I put 2 x 500k CTS Audio taper in my PRS SE One a few years ago and I like them, have they gone down hill recently?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    ICBM said:
    You need log for tone, and linear or log for volume depending on preference - I find linear better with 1M, or the drop-off (and treble loss) is too steep at the top.

Unfortunately CTS have followed the well-worn J. A. Richards path ("there is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper") beloved of modern corporate industry, rather than maintaining quality at the expense of putting prices up, which some other manufacturers - Switchcraft in particular - seem to have done.

I remember you mentioned a little while back about two different types of pot (cheap and not so cheap), one with a circlip and one without, the latter prone to "collapsing" if the shaft is given any "duress" when attaching knobs ??   
    Is this also true of other brands like Alpha
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:

I remember you mentioned a little while back about two different types of pot (cheap and not so cheap), one with a circlip and one without, the latter prone to "collapsing" if the shaft is given any "duress" when attaching knobs ??   
    Is this also true of other brands like Alpha
    Not as far as I've seen so far.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    I put 2 x 500k CTS Audio taper in my PRS SE One a few years ago and I like them, have they gone down hill recently?
    They are not what they were ... or at least not as consistently good as they were, and some examples are downright shonky.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    1Meg Linear taper is historically correct for Jazzmaster and Jaguar. I am not a fan of these but any other resistance taper ruins the sound.
    True but 500k really tapes the ice pick. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3856
    edited February 13
    I, too bought some "TAD" CTS 500k audio taper for a guitar and they were finished after a 20-show tour. Not great. True, the guitar got sweaty at every show but I expected more.