CTS Pots - Hugely disappointing or?..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7900
    Bourns are lovely, the low friction is very cool. They just dont like too much soldering iron heat on the casings. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    edited February 13 tFB Trader
    Bourns are lovely, the low friction is very cool. They just dont like too much soldering iron heat on the casings. 
    You need a huge tool like mine

150w 13mm tip ... 

Seriously ... lots of heat but applied for a short time therefor super low thermal transfer/ 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19515
    You need a huge tool like mine

150w 13mm tip ... 

Seriously ... lots of heat but applied for a short time therefor super low thermal transfer/ 

Also good to see old library shelf dividers having new useful lives  ;)
  • humps.bhumps.b Frets: 6
    Related to the above, I think I fried a new CTS pot yesterday, unless it was already busted. Tone pot seems to work as expected from 10 down to 3, then jumps back up to full :/

The 250k log volume pot taper is a bit severe. 10 down to 8 does nothing, then pretty much all happens between 7 and 6! I've had log volume pots before that are a lot smoother (mostly alphas)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited February 29

I need to put new pots on me Morgan..................... just had a shufty at these................£48 for a single pot ? fookin hell

so as CTS now seem to not be the pot of choice,  Alpha it is then

EDIT  -  ah thats the price for the premium version............. still a lot of wonga for a pot tho

found some standard long shafts a nadge under a tenner each (guitar mania)  - any other suggestions ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 859
    I now no longer recommend CTS pots - Alpha or Bourns are what I fit these days. 
    I used bourns for my amp and they seem really good. Not tried them for guitar. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 859
    bertie said:

I need to put new pots on me Morgan..................... just had a shufty at these................£48 for a single pot ? fookin hell

EDIT  -  ah thats the price for the premium version............. still a lot of wonga for a pot tho

found some standard long shafts a nadge under a tenner each (guitar mania)  - any other suggestions ?
    Lots of these components can be much more expensive for the more popular sizes. Don't know if it's that?
    Mine weren't cheap, but not £48!!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited March 1
    Hardly surprising, you can find them in  Zepplins ....probably
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Kurtis said:
    bertie said:

Lots of these components can be much more expensive for the more popular sizes. Don't know if it's that?
    Mine weren't cheap, but not £48!!

managed to find some 500k audio with long shaft.......... at RS for about £4 each -  just so happens the depot is a couple of miles down the road.................... 3 other suppliers wanted £12 shipping !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.