Pickup height revelation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11154
    tFB Trader
    I was tinkering around with my P90 pickups last week, adjusting the pole pieces to try to balance the volume across the strings, as it sounded to me like the G string was a bit stronger than the others.  So off I went with my screwdriver to lower the G string poles, and also a little of the B string, and raised the E string ones up and I think I got it sounding more even.

However, one thing I noticed was that the 2 screws holding the pickup in its place (one between the A&D and another between the G&B strings) was also magnetized. Is this a common thing with P90 pickups and does this matter much in the grand scheme of things?  Does it mean that there will be more output across those 4 strings in particular? 
    Its common if you don't have non magnetic stainless steel height screws :-)
    In real terms I don't think you could possibly hear any difference in output ... it would be so tiny. 
    I do use non magnetic stainless screws in my humbuckers and humbucker sized P90s ... but that's mostly because they don't mash as easily as those bloody brass ones everybody else seems to fit (horrible things). 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was tinkering around with my P90 pickups last week, adjusting the pole pieces to try to balance the volume across the strings, as it sounded to me like the G string was a bit stronger than the others.  So off I went with my screwdriver to lower the G string poles, and also a little of the B string, and raised the E string ones up and I think I got it sounding more even.

However, one thing I noticed was that the 2 screws holding the pickup in its place (one between the A&D and another between the G&B strings) was also magnetized. Is this a common thing with P90 pickups and does this matter much in the grand scheme of things?  Does it mean that there will be more output across those 4 strings in particular? 
    Its common if you don't have non magnetic stainless steel height screws :-)
    In real terms I don't think you could possibly hear any difference in output ... it would be so tiny. 
    I do use non magnetic stainless screws in my humbuckers and humbucker sized P90s ... but that's mostly because they don't mash as easily as those bloody brass ones everybody else seems to fit (horrible things). 
    Good to hear that, I was starting to get worried about going down another rabbit hole on the effects of mounting screws!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2412
    PLOP said:
    Skill and confidence? There’s no risk to anything at all by changing heights. All you need is a screwdriver and 60 seconds. If you don’t like it, change it back 
    That's not quite true if you're a clumsy idiot like I am... I've certainly dropped a screwdriver on a guitar before!