History's most irreplaceable guitars- according to theGuardian

What's Hot
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/feb/16/10-of-historys-most-irreplaceable-guitars

I've not seen many mentions of some of these guitars on here. Is that because they've not been up for sale recently?

Or just because they are too associated with the artist to be played in anything other than a dedicated cover band?

I can't imagine many people playing covers on a prince symbol guitar

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Odd list that, but very glad of a different take on the usual list. 
  • They deliberately leave off things like Brian May’s Red Special, to generate a debate in the comments and create more traffic to the post….surely?!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • There are quite few MIA from that list, but it's a bit more informed than most similar efforts.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7912
    The Kirk Hammett one is silly, so is uncluding Elizabeth Cotton ("let's shoehorn a disadvantaged woman in there to balance it out").

I liked the inclusion of old Black

They did say "Ten of", and not the ten greatest so that's accurate.

How about Django? He was partially disabled and from an ethnic minority so C'mon Gaurdianistas!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    Disagree with the word irreplaceable - Iconic is fine but irreplaceable is false IMO - The fact that Macca has had a very successful career, for many years, even decades, without such an iconic guitar proves how replaceable it has become 

Yes it has a place in his heart and he wanted it back - But it has certainly been replaced many times during his Wings + solo career 

I dare say all players have a connection with the guitars listed on that article - But all replaceable if required - Look at EC with Blackie - Used on countless tours, albums, songs etc, but he doesn't look like he is missing now does he 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3188
    edited February 17
    @guitars4you ;;; I would go as far to say the only truly irreplaceable guitar in rock history is the red special. Having said that if Brian’s dad hadn’t installed   central heating , then Brian would probably have  been  just another strat player!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Disagree with the word irreplaceable
    Yup, a good example being Page's '59 Les Paul and indeed his doubleneck too, the latter of which was really for live convenience more than its tone. There are a ton of Zep songs which don't feature either of those at all, notably his Telecaster does the business on lots of tracks, including the solo on Stairway to Heaven and some relatively cheap guitars make an appearance on other tracks; a Danelectro Lipstick on Rain Song and a Harmony Sovereign on Stairway to Heaven's acoustic parts.

Again with Hendrix too; most peope think upside down Strat with Jimi, and he went through a lot of them, so they were emminently replaceable, but a large majority of his iconic recordings were done on a Telecaster and not a Strat, so he clearly wasn't as precious about the Strat at all, as we might be led to believe.
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you ;;; I would go as far to say the only truly irreplaceable guitar in rock history is the red special. Having said that if Brian’s dad hadn’t installed   central heating , then Brian would probably have  been  just another strat player!
    It is not hard to see where you are coming from - I don't know the finer details of his touring rig/gear, but know he has more than one 'replica' of the red special - How good they are, which he prefers etc then I don't know - Certainly appreciate there will be a tremendous bond between him and that guitar, if only for the nostalgia alone - But could he tour and work with the replicas, then I don't know 

Very few, if any, of our guitar hero's have made a career with one guitar but B May with the Red Special is quite close to that 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32043

Again with Hendrix too; most peope think upside down Strat with Jimi, and he went through a lot of them, so they were emminently replaceable, but a large majority of his iconic recordings were done on a Telecaster and not a Strat, so he clearly wasn't as precious about the Strat at all, as we might be led to believe.
    Really?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73220
    None of those are even close.

It’s Les Paul’s ‘the log’, Brian May’s Red Special or EVH’s Frankenstrat. 

All home-made.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29220
    edited February 17
    The Kirk Hammett one is silly, so is uncluding Elizabeth Cotton ("let's shoehorn a disadvantaged woman in there to balance it out").

She is recognised as hugely influential. Dismissing her as nothing more than  "a disadvantaged woman" is daft.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    None of those are even close.

It’s Les Paul’s ‘the log’, Brian May’s Red Special or EVH’s Frankenstrat. 

All home-made.
    But EVH toured and recorded regularly without Frankenstrat - So iconic yes - Irreplaceable no 
    And again Les Paul certainly recorded and toured with various guitars, and had a strong connection with The Recording LP - So again iconic but not irreplaceable
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2973
    Disagree with the word irreplaceable
    Yup, a good example being Page's '59 Les Paul and indeed his doubleneck too, the latter of which was really for live convenience more than its tone. There are a ton of Zep songs which don't feature either of those at all, notably his Telecaster does the business on lots of tracks, including the solo on Stairway to Heaven and some relatively cheap guitars make an appearance on other tracks; a Danelectro Lipstick on Rain Song and a Harmony Sovereign on Stairway to Heaven's acoustic parts.

Four studio albums (one a double) and one live album were released in his lifetime. It's said that he played a Tele on a couple of tracks on one of them.... hardly a large majority! Also, AFAIK, there's no record of him playing a Tele live, unlike Flying Vs, Les Paul and SG Customs, and others. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7365
    p90fool said:

Really?
    I was about to post the same response . I’m a bit of a fan but had never heard this 
  • p90fool said:

Really?
    Yup, Purple Haze is a Telecaster. In a manner smilar to Pete Townshend twatting his guitar on a ceiling, which prompted his showman penchant for smashing up guitars, Hendrix put his Strat through the ceiling of the Ricky Tick R&B club in Hounslow, bending the top E machine head. The band had a recording session booked the next day at Olympia Studios, so they had to go and get another guitar, which ended up being a Telecaster, so that's what is on Purple Haze.

Hendrix also borrowed guitars for a few other tracks as well after that, for example, All Along the Watchtower is done on a Les Paul Custom with a Bigsby; the same guitar Larry Lee can be seen playing at Woodstock.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3938
    Bigsby said:
    Disagree with the word irreplaceable

Four studio albums (one a double) and one live album were released in his lifetime. It's said that he played a Tele on a couple of tracks on one of them.... hardly a large majority! Also, AFAIK, there's no record of him playing a Tele live, unlike Flying Vs, Les Paul and SG Customs, and others. 
    A quick google found this https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimi-hendrix-telecaster-purple-haze but I agree that hardly constitutes a large majority 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    Nice alt list - but I have to confess I've never heard of Elizabeth Cotton.  Probably says more about me than The Grauniad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    A quick google found this https://www.guitarworld.com/news/jimi-hendrix-telecaster-purple-haze but I agree that hardly constitutes a large majority 

Considering Purple Haze is certainly his most well known track and All Along the Watchtower is probably his best track, neither of which are on a Strat, I'd say that does constitute a large majority of his iconic tracks. YMMV.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    I have to say that I’ve never heard of Elizabeth Cotten before today, so I stuck Freight Train on.  The guitar playing’s very nice.  And evidently she’s significant and influential, having won a Grammy in the mid 80s and having had her songs performed by Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and The Grateful Dead.

But I don’t think her acoustic belongs in this list, even if it is in The National Museum of American History.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32043
    edited February 17
    p90fool said:

Really?
    Yup, Purple Haze is a Telecaster.
    So not a "large majority" of his iconic recordings then. One in fact. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom