History's most irreplaceable guitars- according to theGuardian

What's Hot

Comments

• p90fool said:
    So not a "large majority" of his iconic recordings then. One in fact. 
    Nope, at least five, Fire, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe and Little Wing (allegedly).
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    p90fool said:
    Nope, at least five, Fire, Purple Haze, The Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe and Little Wing (allegedly).
    Doing the dive bombs in Little Wing on a Tele would’ve been a good trick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 690
    The Larrivée that Chris Hadfield played on the International Space Station would have been hard to replace.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1608
    "But the most irreplaceable guitar,
    Is the one at home with
    you"

They're all good guitars, Bront.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3938
    Considering Purple Haze is certainly his most well known track and All Along the Watchtower is probably his best track, neither of which are on a Strat, I'd say that does constitute a large majority of his iconic tracks. YMMV.
     If you accept that he only produced 3 iconic tracks then I agree 100% :)

But any discussion that centres around an artist’s “best” or “most iconic” tracks is entirely subjective and never ends well. I just tried to google for consensus and that led down a rabbit hole. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5012
    I can think of two irreplaceable guitars and one is a bass:
    • Chris Squire's '64 Rickenbacker.
    • Brian May's original.
    An honourable mention goes to Martin Briley's Greenslade doubleneck: it was run over by a tour bus years ago and was not replaced. I was chatting with the bloke who has the front artwork pickguard, but that's all that's left of it.
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1332
    edited February 17
    p90fool said:
    Was just the solo on Purple Haze he used a Tele on. And only used it because his strat broke, says Roger Mayer.

But still - an upside down tele?? That would've looked even more weird than his upside down strats. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11154
    edited February 17 tFB Trader
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1446
    Cols said:
    I have to say that I’ve never heard of Elizabeth Cotten before today, so I stuck Freight Train on.  The guitar playing’s very nice.  And evidently she’s significant and influential, having won a Grammy in the mid 80s and having had her songs performed by Bob Dylan, Joan Baez and The Grateful Dead.

But I don’t think her acoustic belongs in this list, even if it is in The National Museum of American History.
    I had to wikipedia her - and oh yeah... Freight Train ( which I remember claw hammering loosely  C, F and Gs way back when first learning).
    I had no idea of the Grateful Dead connection with songs they've covered of hers and song titles (Sugaree, Fare Thee Well).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • Cols said:
    p90fool said:
    Doing the dive bombs in Little Wing on a Tele would’ve been a good trick.
    Yup, which is why I put 'allegedly' after Litte Wing, and not least because it sounds like a Strat too, although of course you can dive bomb a Tele if you put a Bigsby on it. It was done at the same Olympic sessions where they had to get a Tele to replace that busted Strat, which is probably where that Tele notion was born, but given that it does sound like a Strat, one suspects by then they'd either got hold of another Strat, or fixed the top E tuner on the one Jimi knackered at that gig by the time that one was recorded. After all, sticking a new tuner on, or sorting out a bent one is not very hard to do; they could have nicked one off that Tele for a kick off.

Anyway, whatever the truth of it is, and back with the original topic, there are clearly not that many genuinely irreplaceable guitars.
  • Haha yep i read about this on the trivia section of the movie on IMDB. Couldn't believe it. 
  • Haha yep i read about this on the trivia section of the movie on IMDB. Couldn't believe it. 
    Then again, who knew of this guitar before it was heavily 'modified' in that way? You could argue this incident was that which made it iconic. Prior to that, it was really just an old guitar few people had heard of.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    No. 

Sorry, as they haven't included Cobalt Stargazer's Sleazegrinder Les Paul and so I'm out.

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    I think I've changed my slant, as to what might be termed 'irreplaceable'  - See my original post on page 1 - Are they irreplaceable as a tool of the trade in order to do a job - Then 100% yes - Whilst we all know we can bond with certain guitars and as such can be attached to them - But in reality we know we can do the same job with another guitar - So they are replaceable as a tool

But they are irreplaceable as a piece of history and all that goes with them 
  • edited February 17
    we all know we can bond with certain guitars and as such can be attached to them - But in reality we know we can do the same job with another guitar
    True, but anyone who has ever had a nice guitar stolen from them will know it's often something which hurts a lot beyond what the thing actually was in purely objective terms. Still pissed off about my '69 Tele which got nicked from a rehearsal room years ago, even though some of the Teles I have now are probably better guitars. If I had the option, I'd swap all my other Teles to get that one back, even though it wouldn't really make sense in purely logical terms. The same is true of a couple of others I've had stolen, and it's especially true of my WEM Copycat which also got nicked.

That's probably why Macca wanted that Bass back so badly; he could afford any number of Basses which would be way better than that thing, but they wouldn't be that one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1608
    edited February 17
    p90fool said:
    Was just the solo on Purple Haze he used a Tele on. And only used it because his strat broke, says Roger Mayer.

But still - an upside down tele?? That would've looked even more weird than his upside down strats. 
    Not forgetting the ergonomics and, most importantly, the downright weird pickup selections teles used to have which is why, ime, ol' Jim never embraced them live.

Of equal import is the magic that Strat + Fuzzface produce. Synergy in action.

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14842
    Odd to namecheck Hammett but not mention the ex-Green, ex-Moore Les Paul.

My prejudices would have had me include Roy Buchanan's Telecaster AKA Nancy.

Similarly, Peter Shelley's Starway guitar - as heard on Buzzcocks' Spiral Scratch EP.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2438
    The inclusion of BB King's "Lucille" is kind of dumb. It was evidently replaceable, since he had numerous guitars over the years and they were all called Lucille.

What about James Jamerson's P-bass, which supposedly only he could play? Or Clarence White's original Tele with the B-bender? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7310
    Things They Have Missed, off the top of my head:

1.  The Red Special 
    2.  The Fool SG
    3.  Lenny
    4.  The Frankenstrat
    5.  Greeny
    6.  Page’s No 1

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23843
    Nobody mentioned Rory Gallagher's Strat?  I know he used other guitars as well, but it's got to be up there with others on these lists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom