Hand mangling grub screws - best solution?

What's Hot
chris45chris45 Frets: 221
This is my Fender Sratocaster's bridge:

The guitar plays very nicely, but the grub screws on the outer strings are quite a pain.  Possible solutions are:
1.  Try and find some smaller grub screws - but the ones I have found so far are either too short / too long
2.  Grind them down - but I don't have access to a grinder / belt sander
3.  Shim?  I have seen this recommended - I don't see why I wouldn't get the same issue just at a different height but am open to it
4.  Replace with non-bitey saddles e.g. Highwood

Comments appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5117
    There’s always option 5 - amend your playing style so you’re not continually bashing the bridge with your hand!  ;)

Seriously though, just buy shorter saddles, they’re not difficult to find once you know what diameter and height you want. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4703
    Start with the easiest and cheapest option - which is a shim.  Just a piece of thin card in the back of the neck pocket.  This will tilt the neck back very slightly, so you'll need to raise the saddles, and 'bury' the threads of the adjustment screws below the surface of the saddles.  This pic is exaggerated for effect, but you get the idea.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    tFB Trader
    If you go with option 2 then you can try a metal file - Do one grub screw at a time - Take note of the string height/saddle position as it is now, so you can re-fit back to 'as was'  - File the base of the grub screw flat so it still sits flat on to the bridge plate so as to maximise 'transmission' through from the string to saddle to trem plate - Be careful you don't over tight the grub screw whilst in a vice, as you don't want to damage the thread

1/4" is the smallest grub screw height available - assuming yours are imperial - https://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/saddle-bridge-height-screws - loads of options on here
    tFB Trader
    Some guitars use a 5/16" small option ie on the outside E saddles - But you can get 1/4" if required - Not sure what is on your Strat
  • nonesuchnonesuch Frets: 308
    I’ve had success buying shorter grub screws or using a shim in some instances.

I you know if the Strat is American (imperial) or MIM (metric) you should be able to find replacement grub screws cheaply online.

I got these for an American Special Strat:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292725587589

I got sizes of 4-40 5/16" and 4-40 1/4".

For MIM:
    M3 x 8mm
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252348960209

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3938
    If you go with option 2 then you can try a metal file - Do one grub screw at a time - Take note of the string height/saddle position as it is now, so you can re-fit back to 'as was'  - File the base of the grub screw flat so it still sits flat on to the bridge plate so as to maximise 'transmission' through from the string to saddle to trem plate - Be careful you don't over tight the grub screw whilst in a vice, as you don't want to damage the thread

1/4" is the smallest grub screw height available - assuming yours are imperial - https://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/saddle-bridge-height-screws - loads of options on here
    To expand on the above if you have a nut of the right size put that on the grub screw and fasten the nut in your vice. Less risk of damaging the grub screw and the nut will help clean up any damage to the thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are metric and they really are M3 I have stock of M3x3,4,5 and 6mm lengths. For a couple of quid to cover my trouble and postage you could have some sent.

If you need the UNC 4-40 threads you can get down to 3/32" (2.38mm) in length here: https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ScrewBolt_GrubCup_UNCoarse0.1120.html
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 260
    I had the same issue and, when I got my guitar set up, the neck was shimmed as suggested by @Jonathangus ;

I couldn't see why it would work until it was explained to me. My guitar needed that plus some other bits tweaking so it made sense to get it all done in one go.
    tFB Trader
    drofluf said:

To expand on the above if you have a nut of the right size put that on the grub screw and fasten the nut in your vice. Less risk of damaging the grub screw and the nut will help clean up any damage to the thread.
    Brilliant idea - never thought of that - I might use a cloth or be careful but that is a good idea 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    squirt a load of silicone sealant over the protruding screws,  protect your hand,  easy to remove when you need to adjust.

this handy tip was brought to you by Viz Recording Studios
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    I put steel block saddles on my SS SE for that reason

The threads are longer on block saddles than on bent sheet ones so it's easier to get the screws to sit inside the thread
  • gumbothewiddlergumbothewiddler Frets: 340
    edited February 19
    If only someone would invent a little metal plate that clips over the top like an old fashioned ash tray that would stop this problem…
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23841
    Highwood saddles, if you don't mind the expense.  They're excellent.

If you decide to buy shorter grub screws, take the opportunity to get stainless steel ones so they won't rust up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    If only someone would invent a little metal plate that clips over the top like an old fashioned ash tray that would stop this problem…
    They are useless now that smoking is banned in venues
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2598
    My band mate just takes his off and leaves it on top of an amp, so it holds bottles of vape juice without them rolling on the floor
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 434
    Highwood saddles are great. You wouldn't need a grinder though if you wanted to shorten them that way. I shortened my saddle screws on a Tele by removing them and rubbing them on wet and dry sandpaper.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Cheers for all suggestions - will attempt a shim and post results
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19541
    elstoof said:
    My band mate just takes his off and leaves it on top of an amp, so it holds bottles of vape juice without them rolling on the floor
    Bottles? Does he back Jarvis Cocker in Shoreditch gigs?  ;)
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2009/nov/10/jarvis-cocker-music-art-gallery
  • humps.bhumps.b Frets: 6
    I recently got some Highwood saddles and would recommend them. My baby soft hands no longer feel threatened, they are slotted, and a decent weight.