What does a V or Explorer bring if you already have an SG?

What's Hot
Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
edited February 19 in Guitar
Having pushed my Firebird gas in an explorer direction simply due to availability, I tried some recently and extended the trial to a V as well. 

I was left wondering exactly what is gained by having either when I already have an SG. They all sound to my ears pretty similar really, and of the three the SG is undeniably ergonomically superior (for me). The trip to the shop turned out to be one of those excellent trips where you slay some GAS before its built up too much. 

I tried a couple of the Epi IBG ‘Korina’ guitars and they definitely looked like ICBINK rather than ‘real’ Korina. Very much like the stuff Reverend use. They were however pretty well made and super light. I think they have the semi matte finish to hide the wood grain differences a little.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Attitude!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4177
    edited February 19
    A V enables you to stand next to someone with an Explorer/V and mosh in unison during the big chorus.

For ref KK & Glen.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5239
    I find the V is much better to play standing up
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2598
    Super light korina looking wood could be obeche
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23843
    What does a V or Explorer bring if you already have an SG?
    A significantly higher degree of coolness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32043
    Nicer neck pickup sound, save money on stands. 

You need a certain attitude on stage to pull off the Flying V look, which I believe I have, as do all the other old men my age, who definitely haven't. 
    ;)
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8505
    Nutcases. The Explorer is the most comfortable of the 3 sitting down or standing up, sounds the best, looks the best and feels the best.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11154
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    I find the V is much better to play standing up

I've also found fewer Vs with neck dive ... 
    I generally find both Explorers and Vs less flimsy than SGs and more capable of taking a stage battering. 
    You also don't get idiotic shouts of 'Anguuuuuus' at gigs if you avoid SGs 

Also with either a V or an Explorer you look cool enough to shrink a polar bear's dongler ... 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13579
    I think the averagely competent player can get away with an explorer............. but if you're anything but great, with a V you look like "sad dad wannabe"   

(for the record, I dont actually like Vs,  but Ive been tempted by explores for a while, but it would have to be the Hamer, burst with cream p/ups)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11154
    tFB Trader
    bertie said:
    I think the averagely competent player can get away with an explorer............. but if you're anything but great, with a V you look like "sad dad wannabe"   

(for the record, I dont actually like Vs,  but Ive been tempted by explores for a while, but it would have to be the Hamer, burst with cream p/ups)
    I used to have a Hamer 'burst' V ... lovely thing it was.

I disagree about the 'look' thing ... you would gain far more acceptance say playing to a blues/blues rock audience with a V than with an Explorer. Albert King, Lonnie Mack ... Poppa Chubby ...  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• bertiebertie Frets: 13579
    edited February 19
    bertie said:

I used to have a Hamer 'burst' V ... lovely thing it was.

I disagree about the 'look' thing ... you would gain far more acceptance say playing to a blues/blues rock audience with a V than with an Explorer. Albert King, Lonnie Mack ... Poppa Chubby ...  

yeah but they looked wrong too...................................  so shoot me     I just don't like em, they're very silly

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    I think of Vs and Explorers being pretty similar in terms of the "statement" they make, image-wise. But you definitely see more Vs.  I can think of quite a few rock guys who play, or have played, Explorers, but I can't think of any bluesers who do (although I'm sure Joe B must own a vintage Explorer or two).
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    I generally find both Explorers and Vs less flimsy than SGs and more capable of taking a stage battering. 

Interesting point, the V did feel less fragile than an SG but there’s no real inherent improvement in the neck joint of a 58 style V to a 61 style SG really, and no more wood holding the neck in place, so it must be something else that gives that impression. In fact the V clearly has more pointy bits sticking out beyond the player’s bodyline to inadvertently interface with something else on stage…
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    My experience is the SGs I've owned/spent time with have less low-end oomph to them - they're midrange animals. My experience of Explorers and Vs is that they keep some low-end fullness, more akin to a typical Les Paul. 

Now that is obviously a small sample size of <10 guitars, and anecdotal and might also be a reflection of what I tend to play or be drawn to playing on each shape, but I'm only human!
    Tim
    edited February 19

Interesting point, the V did feel less fragile than an SG but there’s no real inherent improvement in the neck joint of a 58 style V to a 61 style SG really, and no more wood holding the neck in place, so it must be something else that gives that impression. In fact the V clearly has more pointy bits sticking out beyond the player’s bodyline to inadvertently interface with something else on stage…
    If it's built to vintage specs, the '58 V has a really long tenon extending to halfway between the two pickups - although it's interrupted by the routing for the neck pickup, which has to weaken it a bit.  The body also extends under the end of the neck heel, which must add a little strength.

I don't think the modern SG neck joint is that flimsy, though.  It's the early-'60s style, as you mentioned, that has problems.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    83% cooler than the SG.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    edited February 19
    You'd have to get used to those extra V bits sticking out behind/beside you. You could practice by carrying or wearing a short ladder.

https://i.imgur.com/XSV6a5s.jpeg

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3393
    You tend not to get that annoying neck flex on an Explorer or V that you do on an SG. On SG’s I’m forever pulling it out of tune. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    If you play an Explorer in a tight venue you can get the singer in the eye with the headstock and the bass player in the chest with the tailfin in a single move. :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5239
    I should point out i have an SG, a flying v an ibanez destroyer 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom