What does a V or Explorer bring if you already have an SG?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    One thing you get with an Explorer that you don't get with an SG....

..... A much larger, unwieldly, and hernia inducing hard case!! 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    Reverend said:
    I should point out i have an SG, a flying v an ibanez destroyer 
    I've owned more SGs than I can easily remember, three Flying Vs but no Explorers other than a sawn-off one which I didn't like. 
    I think Vs are great but they do, perhaps, look a bit silly on a small person like me.  And the wings do bang into stuff, a lot.
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    A bad back.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8505
    Voxman said:
    One thing you get with an Explorer that you don't get with an SG....

..... A much larger, unwieldly, and hernia inducing hard case!! 
    Yeah, that's true. Genuinely stressful sometimes trying to find enough real estate to open it backstage on a multi band club night.

The guitars themselves though ... Mine is about 7.5lbs which is Goldilocks weight for me
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73220
    The Explorer would be the coolest by far if it wasn't for that damn stupid headstock.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11154
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    A Destroyer has always been on my 'bucket list'. 

Cooler than an Explorer in my book.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Reverend said:
    A Destroyer has always been on my 'bucket list'. 

Cooler than an Explorer in my book.

My teen crush
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    ICBM said:
    The Explorer would be the coolest by far if it wasn't for that damn stupid headstock.
    Better?  =)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Better?  =)

Even better still ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5239
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    I've owned more SGs than I can easily remember, three Flying Vs but no Explorers other than a sawn-off one which I didn't like. 
    I think Vs are great but they do, perhaps, look a bit silly on a small person like me.  And the wings do bang into stuff, a lot.
    I'm just over 6ft, beard, long hair and tattoos. I reckon i can get away with them
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2410
    edited February 20

If you are not widdly widdlying up the fretboard a lot a V is faintly ridiculous even if you have look and attitude for a V.

OP is right - an SG covers all the ground in all the genres like Tele does
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11777
    tFB Trader
    My preference is for a nice V
    A well balanced example feels most weightless on a strap
    It also puts the neck at a great angle for full access.

Mind you I grew up as a fan of Kiss, Judas Priest, Accept, Scorpions, UFO and MSG

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    I'm just over 6ft, beard, long hair and tattoos. I reckon i can get away with them
    Yeah, you can get away with a V.   :)
    tFB Trader
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    6ft buzz cut hair beard tattoos ... got fed up with the long hair when I started winding pickups for a living ... a hairnet or tying it back gets a pain in the arse after a while :-)

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    If you want to look cool, you're over 50 and it has to be a Gibson - forget Vs and Explorers.  Get a Firebird.
    Offset said:
    If you want to look cool, you're over 50 and it has to be a Gibson - forget Vs and Explorers.  Get a Firebird.
    Andy Powell still plays Flying Vs after all these years.  He's 74.  He doesn't look particularly cool though.

Schenker still looks cool.  Sort of.  In a slightly mad, wizened, hard rock Catweazle kind of way....  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    6ft buzz cut hair beard tattoos ... got fed up with the long hair when I started winding pickups for a living ... a hairnet or tying it back gets a pain in the arse after a while :-)
    5'7", short cut beard, no tattoos.  Hence I'll stick with my LP, SG, Strats, Teles etc.  =)  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Reverend said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Reverend said:
    5'7", short cut beard, no tattoos.  Hence I'll stick with my LP, SG, Strats, Teles etc.  =)  ;)
    5'6", 60kg, beard, definitely no tattoos.... no, you really don't need to know.