Where it all began

What's Hot
Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

The first guitar I had was a terrible Kay Tele-shaped monstrosity, the second a Hondo LP, but the first "proper" guitar was a 1983 Fender Telecaster in cherryburst.

There's one for sale on Reverb right now, but I find the burst a little garish these days.

httpsrvb-imgreverbcomimageuploads--ZaGZ8c-T--a_0f_autot_supersizev1628939055atw5xcrwre7kso6qqwh5jpg

I wouldn't hate it if someone gave me one, but I'm not paying £2k+ for old times' sake.
"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    My first good guitar was also a Fender Telecaster 
    One like this 

A 1975 ... which cost me £200 in 1976
    They seem to be going for over two grand now ... hummm wish I still had mine ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9848
    My first ‘good’ guitar was a US Std Tele bought in 2005 and which I still use regularly. 
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5664
    OP = best looking Tele I've seen in quite a while. 
  • My first good guitar was also a Fender Telecaster 
    One like this 

They seem to be going for over two grand now ... hummm wish I still had mine ... 
    £1300 in today’s money, a nice appreciation but not outrageous!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11149
    tFB Trader
    My first good guitar was also a Fender Telecaster 
    One like this 

£1300 in today’s money, a nice appreciation but not outrageous!
    Well if anyone has a Black 75 with atrocious fag burn by the 6th string tuner it may have been mine ... yes I was that idiot ... but I was only 17 ... 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    edited February 21
    I’m glad I still kept my 1st electric guitar. A Squier ‘Pro Tone’ Thinline Telecaster which cost £300 in 1999.

https://imgur.com/kSlW2nr

• I've still got my first guitar. A 1997 Squier Affinity strat I got in 1998. Upgraded it and still use it alot today. There's a thread documenting the work and stuff here somewhere.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    edited February 21
    My first "good "electric was a  Fender lead II then a Squier JV Strat in the early eighties..I had Hofners up to 64 ,then a Harmony Sovereign when I went all folky bluegrassy ,Then stopped to breed ....before getting  the Lead /JV .Although many rate Hofners I found them clunky  to play .
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29208
    Mine was one of these. I played twee indie-pop.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 454
    edited February 21
    Here's my first "good" guitar. 1997 American Standard that my parents bought me in 1998 as a congrats for getting into music college...

I actually sold it (along with a late-80s JCM800 and some rack gear) in 2012 when I was skint and in need of cash while getting divorced, but managed to re-purchase it again a few years later. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • motorheadmotorhead Frets: 31
    edited February 21
    ‘80s MIJ contemporary Strat in Sherwood Green. I really should have kept it, but I was young and foolish and wanted a “real” Strat with unstable tuners, crappy finish and Made in USA written on it.

I did have an entry level Yamaha acoustic followed by an Aria Pro II before that but this was my first good guitar.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    edited February 21
    . . .
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3101
    I've still got my first guitar. A 1997 Squier Affinity strat I got in 1998. Upgraded it and still use it alot today. There's a thread documenting the work and stuff here somewhere.
    Funny enough, same years and guitar for me

Unfortunately the electronics aren’t working at the moment so needs some TLC. Would love to get it refretted
  • Stevepage said:
    I've still got my first guitar. A 1997 Squier Affinity strat I got in 1998. Upgraded it and still use it alot today. There's a thread documenting the work and stuff here somewhere.
    Funny enough, same years and guitar for me

Unfortunately the electronics aren’t working at the moment so needs some TLC. Would love to get it refretted
    Wow that's such a coincidence. Its the same colour (black and white) and I did have a JB junior at one point in it (which I think is in the other guitar's bridge)?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    My first decent guitar was a MIJ 90 Jackson Fusion Pro in Ferrari red - I ruined it by stripping the finish but replaced the body later. It's a phenomenal guitar and I still have it now. The neck is 1/4 sawn with an ebony fingerboard. Not mine but it looked like this. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 331
    edited February 21
    The guitar I learned the basics on was my dad’s Yamaha ERG121, a black HSH Strat copy. It was actually the catalyst for me not liking the feel of S types for a long time, because I saved up and got an Ibanez ART120 which I still have and use occasionally. It’s a really good guitar, and it looks really cool too now that the white has aged to a light cream colour. It definitely looks closer to what I’d call “vintage/aged white”, not “smoker’s tooth white” like many are. 
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 474
    My first good guitar was a blonde Fender Telecaster which I bought from Pan Music in Wardour St in 1967. It cost me £99 which I paid on hire purchase at a £6 a month. It was a great guitar wish I’d never sold it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3137
    First guitar, a Morris Hurricane LP copy which I thought was a cheap no name guitar. Turns out it was MiJ and a lot better than I thought it was but I never considered it my first 'good' guitar. That was this lovely thing, a Washburn G8V which I bought from a friend of mine who could actually play it really well. Looking back it was not all that great, but to me it was brilliant.

Still got it.

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1341
    My first guitar was red, and may have been some or other Kingston model - I think. I never could find a picture of anything which looked similar to it.
    It was awful and I loved it to bits because I didn't know better. If you tilted it forward too much while playing, its pickups fell out.
    Those were the days.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 376
    I am delighted to no longer own my Encore Coaster or Marlin State of the Art that I got started with....