Where it all began

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1563
    For me, it all began here. 
    Thank you, everyone. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 454
    jca74 said:
    I am delighted to no longer own my Encore Coaster or Marlin State of the Art that I got started with....
    My very first guitar was a Marlin, it is an absolute piece of shit but I still have it here. I played the life of out it for about 4 years, tho, so it did its job. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • I had a nylon stringed catalogue guitar that I didnt touch when about 14/15 years old. I hardly touched it and then only took up guitar about 4 years back,almost 40 years later! I think my little sister might still have the guitar but only used it at school and that was 30 years ago too. I'd like to find it again though.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615
    I've said before I wish I still had my first guitar so I could bury the f#cking thing and dance on it's grave. I do actually have the first guitar in the house that I remember playing, an old F hole acoustic with an action so high the neck looks like a suspension bridge. I will post a pic later if I get time 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    My first electric was a Japanese  Avon Les Paul copy. Plywood with a hollow curved ply top with single coils hiding under humbucker covers. The specs were indeed crap but it did the job for a number of years.

Sold it when I had no time for playing and after a 17 year hiatus decided I'd like something better so I bought my 1989 Fender US Standard  new and still have it. 

• My first guitar was just like the one in this pic. It was a terrible thing but, as I didn't know any different, I thought it was great. I sprayed it red and got a red curly cable to complete the look. About a year later I bought an early 80s Squier Tele and never looked back. I abandoned the Audition in the loft of a house that I moved out of many years ago. I've still got the red cable though. I wish I'd kept the Squier too.

Link to my trading feedback
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1314
    edited February 22
    Sporky said:
    Mine was one of these. I played twee indie-pop.

Haha identical story to mine and almost identical guitar except mine was an all black Jackson.   
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4814
    edited February 22
    I played and gigged a Shaftsbury Les Paul Custom for years that I had modded with a phase switch between the vol/tone knobs, DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, and Schaller tuners.  But my first pro quality name guitar was a 1969 hardtail Strat that I bought when I was 19 or 20 and cost me £187.50. It had a Mighty Mite pickup in the bridge but I insisted on having the original in the deal.  Took it to Andy's guitar shop in Denmark Street and Andy put the original back for me, put in a 5-way switch & gave it a pro-set up, with the Mighty Mite (pretty expensive in their day) in payment.  I still have the Strat, but sold the Shaftsbury years back when I bought my 1990 Gibson Les Paul Custom.  Still have an old pic of both together, and a more recent pic of the '69 Strat:

It was my main gigging guitar for some 30 years - this was from one of the last gigs when I used the Strat before I retired it from gigging as it was just getting too valuable to take out and risk getting damaged or stolen:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    My first guitar was just like the one in this pic. It was a terrible thing but, as I didn't know any different, I thought it was great. I sprayed it red and got a red curly cable to complete the look. About a year later I bought an early 80s Squier Tele and never looked back. I abandoned the Audition in the loft of a house that I moved out of many years ago. I've still got the red cable though. I wish I'd kept the Squier too.

That looks like a Teisco-made guitar  of some description, they were sold under various brand names like Audition, which Woolworths sold. I had a Top 20, which was another brand variation. It looked cool in red/black burst but was pretty nasty to play, although they can apparently be improved with some work. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140

Sadly I no longer have the guitar - I modded it beyond repair in the late 80s and 90s - but I have managed to find an identical replacement. I miss the strap too, and I've never seen another...

I still have most of the hair, and still wear 501s, but not quite such large specs :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1987.jpg 218.1K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2523
    edited February 24
    My first decent guitar was a 2001 MIM standard strat in blue agave with maple fretboard, much like this one:

https://rvb-img.reverb.com/image/upload/s--SJsrqjWf--/a_0,c_crop,h_0.539,w_0.718,x_0.143,y_0.461/f_auto,t_supersize/v1708269899/zo5zt6b2unjafbgfps4o.jpg

Mine now has a bareknuckle Irish Tours loaded pickguard which has aged a nice cream colour in the intervening 20 years, and the tuners have been replaced with vintage style ones

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited February 29
    I like the look of those Teles. I started (electric, anyway) on a Pacific HH iirc. Moved to Ibanez HH then PRS HH which was ROCK SOLID for band performance. 

I now actually prefer 22 fret HSS guitars and my Suhr Pro S4 just has so much damn character, it's a joy to play and listen to. It never did cut through in band mix as well as the PRS but I don't see myself doing that gig again so the PRS will go, after 6 years sitting in the closet. There's something amazing about 22 frets and the sound you get from HSS - joyous. That single coil bite and quacky in-between tones - just lovely.

Funny how tastes change over time!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    My first guitar was the usual late '70s, early '80s nameless Les Paul copy.  Then after a year or so I got one of these.

I've still got mine, but it was the victim of all sorts of modifications and wiring experiments.

Hamer Special Sunburst 1982  Chicago Music Exchange