Am I being fickle here?

What's Hot

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    Hang on, does it play better now? have you entertained the notion that you got a free setup out of the meeting? 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5229
    Weird. I’d have given him 20-30 minutes and no more. I’d also have discussed the price before he came round, so he’d be clear about what he was going to have to pay me if he wanted the guitar. He’s at liberty to make a lower offer of course and if it was close I’d think about it. But normally I’m pretty clear with people and actually specify, this is the price and I won’t take any less so please only come round if you’re prepared to pay that. All discussed very politely of course. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    As a buyer, my attitude is one of the following:
    1) This is great. I want it. I can afford it. I'm having it.

2) This is not totally great BUT I reckon that I can adjust it to my taste after I get it home and acclimatised to the new surroundings.

3) This isn't for me.

Haggling for a price reduction only arises when the item has cosmetic damage or parts missing. e.g. The vibrato arm on Stratocasters with the bridge blocked off.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You should have told him to piss off when he suggested he wanted to bugger about with the action.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    I would sell it to him for £200 cheaper, but raise the action again and you can have the last laugh ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    Adjusting setup is fine if it's literally moving a thumbwheel on a TOM, but anything requiring tools is ludicrous, and even moreso if you then spend 2 hours and don't buy the bloody thing. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Sarge said:
    Hang on, does it play better now? have you entertained the notion that you got a free setup out of the meeting? 
    It's nothing crazy - I think he only lowered one of the bridge pieces (high e/b). I'd probably not have known he did it if he hadn't ask me for a flathead screwdriver  B)

I agree with @Funkfingers sentiment above. In fact, I think this is really where my whole gripe is coming from. 

If I went into someones house, played a guitar (for even 20 minutes) and loved it, two things happen:

1. I respect the buyer by paying what was asked, assuming it is as described in the listing. 
    2. I respect myself, and the guitar for that matter, for leaving with a great instrument that I intended on buying in the first place. 

I'd be so annoyed for losing out on a guitar I really liked over a couple of hundred quid.
  • SILVER LINING FOLKS: I'm keeping it.

I don't know if I've become trauma bonded, but I sat down with it for a solid couple of hours last night and could not put it down.

The amps and pedals can go, the Telecaster stays. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1144
    SILVER LINING FOLKS: I'm keeping it.

I don't know if I've become trauma bonded, but I sat down with it for a solid couple of hours last night and could not put it down.

The amps and pedals can go, the Telecaster stays. 

Is it because it's more playable now you've changed the action?

/jk

Personally I don't mind haggling (selling or buying) but spending 2 hours is taking the piss
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32391
    To be honest, he sounds like one of those people who changes their minds about wanting it on their way home, so I seriously doubt you lost a genuine sale anyway. 

On the flip side of that, if someone offers me around 90% of what I'm asking while sat in the room I always accept, rather than deal with the potential pitfalls of couriers and long distance buyers. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited February 22

2) This is not totally great BUT I reckon that I can adjust it to my taste after I get it home and acclimatised to the new surroundings.

3) This isn't for me.

Haggling for a price reduction only arises when the item has cosmetic damage or parts missing. e.g. The vibrato arm on Stratocasters with the bridge blocked off.
    Sorry, but I completely disagree. Haggling goes hand in hand with buying and selling gear. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as its polite, friendly, within reasonable parameters and expectations, and it's completely regardless of whether anythings wrong or if there is any damage ( that's a different theme). Sellers want the most they can get, buyers want to feel they've got a good deal.  Compromise is the way to do deals.

A seller can accept, reject or counter offer. A buyer won't pay more than they're prepared to spend.  Sellers always think their price is fair but buyers may regard the price as a little top heavy. It's not an insult, it's not criticising, it's not a personal sleight to the seller or their gear, it's simply a different perspective. 

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone haggling a bit for anything I might be selling. I completely expect it and am usually prepared to be flexible and or meet halfway. Stupid offers are different of course but that most certainly wasn't the case here. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    Voxman said:
    Sorry, but I completely disagree. Haggling goes hand in hand with buying and selling gear. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as its polite, friendly, within reasonable parameters and expectations, 

this
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    I would have accepted 2.5 maybe 2.45k, there has to be wriggle room especially for the buyer. You don't have to like him and it's hard to know whether he's a nice guy , time waster etc. What i can say is if i was buying from a private seller i'd be very careful before shelling out that much dosh which for many is still a huge amount.
    Best wishes for the outcome, looks like you've already decided.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    edited February 22
    And I'd just add that haggling (actually, negotiating is a better word I think) isn't just restricted to used gear/items. Deals are there to be done on new gear too, or any goods either in the form of a modest discount and/or something being added to encourage the deal - could be a pack or two of strings, a guitar strap, an extended warranty, or something similar.  In this world, if you don't ask, you don't get. Simples!  I've bought brand new TV's, washing machines, dishwashers, cars - and nearly always been able to negotiate something. Whether it be big, little or small, buying, selling, politics, global issues, negotiation makes the world go round.   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    Voxman said:
    And I'd just add that haggling isn't just restricted to used gear/items. Deals are there to be done on new gear or any goods either in the form of a modest discount and/or something being added to encourage the deal - could be a pack or two of strings, a guitar strap, an extended warranty, or something similar.  In this world, if you don't ask, you don't get. Simples! ;)
    Or in someone else's case multiple pickup sets, tuners, picks, straps, a guitar pedal and so on. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Any guitar over £2k, unless it’s a known quantity or a bargain is hard to shift these days, this applies to amps too. Purely for convenience I’d have split the difference for a relatively hassle free deal. Some people I’ve bought and sold gear with/to have become good mates over the years and networking is always useful 
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    I suspect he is trying to put psychological pressure on you, for his enjoyment.
  • NCoNCo Frets: 169
    Voxman said:

3) This isn't for me.

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Haggling goes hand in hand with buying and selling gear. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it as long as its polite, friendly, within reasonable parameters and expectations, and it's completely regardless of whether anythings wrong or if there is any damage ( that's a different theme). Sellers want the most they can get, buyers want to feel they've got a good deal.  Compromise is the way to do deals.

A seller can accept, reject or counter offer. A buyer won't pay more than they're prepared to spend.  Sellers always think their price is fair but buyers may regard the price as a little top heavy. It's not an insult, it's not criticising, it's not a personal sleight to the seller or their gear, it's simply a different perspective. 

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone haggling a bit for anything I might be selling. I completely expect it and am usually prepared to be flexible and or meet halfway. Stupid offers are different of course but that most certainly wasn't the case here. 

Here's the key point - "within reasonable parameters and expectations". The clear expectation is that you haggle as much as you want before coming to someone's house to try a guitar. If you can't agree on the price then the expectation is that you stay home and save everyone's time. Likewise, if you come in, the expectation is that the price is agreed.

Personally I find haggling in this scenario extremely disrespectful, and honestly a dick move. The buyer had the seller emotionally and physically invested in this transaction, almost on the ropes, and then pulled this move. That doesn't sound like genuine negotiation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    NCo said:

Here's the key point - "within reasonable parameters and expectations". The clear expectation is that you haggle as much as you want before coming to someone's house to try a guitar. I
    that's your view,  and others disagree.   I'd never haggle anything until I got my hands on it and tried it.

Haggling without seeing/touching is a worthless and pointless exercise
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • NCoNCo Frets: 169
    bertie said:
    NCo said:

Here's the key point - "within reasonable parameters and expectations". The clear expectation is that you haggle as much as you want before coming to someone's house to try a guitar. I
    that's your view,  and others disagree.   I'd never haggle anything until I got my hands on it and tried it.

Haggling without seeing/touching is a worthless and pointless exercise

My house, my rules, so you might want to check on those expectations before coming in.