NGD Gibson LP Special

What's Hot
SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
edited February 21 in Guitar
Took receipt of this yesterday from a fellow fretboarder. Prior to this purchase I owned two Gibsons - an Iommi SG special, and an SG standard. Both of them were duds for various reasons I won't go into but I swore to myself I wouldn't touch a Gibson again. 

Something about this got my attention though, and as apprehensive I was about buying another gibson, I took the chance knowing that if I didn't jive with it the resale value would ensure I got back what I paid. 

I needn't have worried anyway; Gibson have knocked it out of the park if this is indicative of the rest of their LPS line. 

The neck is vintage 50s style, so quite a handful but not baseball bat thick. 

I had initially bought some aftermarket p90s but the ones in there are excellent and do the job. Messing around with the knobs I can get this thing sounding like a Fender. Very versatile guitar. 

The only thing I've changed is stock wraparound bridge which I've replaced with an intonatable wraparound. Honestly the intonation is fine without it, I just personally like having a bit more room for adjustment, especially when downtuning. 

The body is very comfortable - basically like an LP in shape but doesn't break your back. 

I paid a grand but even new I think these are priced very reasonably. I can't say the same about some other Gibsons, like the LP Standard for example. 

My new no.1 for sure...somehow usurping my ObG LP

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bodhibodhi Frets: 1341
    Nice, congratulations.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1268
    Do you need to borrow some gaffer tape?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Very nice and I'd have thought a decent price, enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikePMikeP Frets: 63
    Fine guitar for not silly money. 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 836
    edited February 21
    Lovely! I have the tribute version with the satin finish and maple neck - as you say, intonation is fine (especially after fitting locking studs) but I do fancy trying an intonatable bridge - what make is it?

re the wiring - has it got 300k or 500k volume pots? Mine has the circuit board with 300k and I definitely want to try 500k as I reckon the stock pickups could do with a tiny bit more clarity
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 945
    edited February 26

@bodhi thanks for that 
    @noisepolluter it's the pigtailmusic branded one. Someone offered me a resomax as well so if you want to try one contact user LewisJ. 

Pots... Can't determine if they're 300 or 500k as they're not marked. I have a multimeter though if anyone can explain how to check. I always assumed Gibson defaulted at 500k though that could be just for humbuckers.
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1200
    Congrats and good choice! My main gigging guitar is a TV Yellow version of yours with stock pickups. I brightened up the neck pickup with an extra cap between the hot and the pot.
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    Lovely.
    My LPS replaced all my other electrics.
    As above mine is the tribute and the only changes I've made are to add the poker chip and swap the black selector tip to the cream/amber one - It's a good look!

• Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 278
    I have the exact same guitar, enjoy :)
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 459
    edited February 21
    Congrats man, I love a Les Paul Special.

Here’s mine: 

"Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1268
    How do these sound with P90s instead of humbuckers? I think they look so good with P90s.
    S56035 said:
    How do these sound with P90s instead of humbuckers? I think they look so good with P90s.
    They sound gnarly, in a good way. 

Kinda like this, but this is obviously a particularly good one lol

https://youtu.be/HlUm0Up42eI?si=lAwt_apbik8CEfVs

• robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Ah nice. I just sold one but it was a great guitar. I just didn't have a need for it and it was too nice to ding up. It was a 2020 I think, really nice mahogany. Probably the best bang for buck Gibson right now if you can find a good one around £1-1.1k
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4787
    Just a quick note to say that I thought the guitar was bloody good - well made and great sounding with those P90s - and I only sold it because I wanted to recoup a little cash to pay for the two Felines.  Unfortunately, this one proved more popular than some of my other guitars so, in line with my policy of ruling nothing out of the sale, it went.  

I've now removed my other P90 guitar from the sale as I'm not letting two of my favourites go, and I'm very pleased that the Special went to a very appreciative new home.

And it is my view that the red ones sound better than the yellow ones,  Something to do with the pigments in the dyes probably, and how the red ones absorb more sunshine and sound warmer, while the yellow ones reflect and sound a bit less warm.  Probably.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Nice. The guitar I gig with most is the skinnier brother of yours - a Melody Maker Special. I won it in a local music shop's draw about 10 years ago and I already had a LP-type guitar (a Hagstrom) so wasn't expecting to keep the Gibson but I found I just prefer it - don't know if it's the P90s or the light weight but it's become my most-used electric guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 22
    @rlw I'm glad you kept the other two; actually I nearly took the tokai off you but the special had something about it. Probably the red colour which I think improves tone by absorbing more infrared light waves.  B) 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1713
    i agree about the 2014 Melody maker special .i had one and should have kept it .the 2021 LP special was great instrument .I have a Midtown but would prefer a special.
    edited February 22
    S56035 said:
    Really nice! I love humbuckers but p90s are a bit more airy and dynamic...less compressed. worth having a p90 axe in your arsenal 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4824
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom