Interparcel/Parcelforce surcharges

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
Has anyone else been slapped with a £25 surcharge from Parcelforce because they disagree with the weight or dimensions of a parcel?

Interparcel want £25 from me and will only appeal this with Parcelforce if I have photos of the parcel next to a tape measure and a picture of it on the scales showing the weight.

I asked Interparcel to get proof from Parcelforce that the dimensions or weight were wrong but they say they can’t do that.

Admittedly I should have some proof of the dimensions and weight but I find it crazy that Parcelforce can issue this extra charge without any evidence and the burden on me to prove it’s incorrect.  Also it seems awful customer service from Interparcel who I feel should be acting on my behalf here but they won’t do anything.

The delay in Interparcel replying to emails has also been shocking. 

I’m sure there is something buried in the T&C’s that put this back on me but has anyone had similar and argued out of it?

It’s mostly annoying because I’ve sent loads of things with Parcelforce via Interparcel and never had this before. Now I don’t want to use either ever again!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    You are guilty and must prove your innocence, and even if you do, the comms will be so bad that making anyone take responsibility and progress this is almost impossible. If you're sure you are right, get them to return the parcel, take a photo of the Parcelforce fella delivering it and immediately weigh/measure it. See if he will wait while you do this.

Take time-stamped photos of the measurement and claim a refund. Cross your fingers. If all else fails, start a chargeback via your card.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks @goldtop ;

Good idea but it's too late for me to get the parcel back though, as they delivered it without any mention of additional charges and then the email from Interparcel came in a few weeks later...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1168
    If they’ve already delivered the parcel they don’t have a lot of leverage, I would just tell them you won’t communicate further until they provide evidence to support their claim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 314
    My first inclination is that you cut things a bit too close, most likely on the dimensions and you happened to be close to a measurement that triggered the “next size up” fee or something like that. Is that possible? 

Live and learn? 

Weight is usually spaced out well enough but on medium sized boxes I’ll not cut it closer than 50 or 100g. Maybe the box gets a bit wet and adds water weight. Who knows, and there is little recourse. 

Similarly with dimensions. I always add at least a cm to each dimension unless it changes the price dramatically. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    CHrisP86 said:
    Thanks @goldtop ;

Good idea but it's too late for me to get the parcel back though, as they delivered it without any mention of additional charges and then the email from Interparcel came in a few weeks later...
    Oh they delivered it? Tell them to provide proof or jog on. I wouldn't waste any further time on this at this point. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The payment was only due yesterday but I have already have the threatening email from Interparcel throwing the T&C's at me and threatening to pass the matter to their legal team, lovely...

The issue seems to be that the T&C's state I am liable for any surcharges, so there isn't really any incentive for Interparcel to do anything about it or even just tell Parcelforce I'm not paying.

I do tend to overstate dimensions and weights but maybe I didn't this time.

Live and learn is probably right.
  • chickenbonejohnchickenbonejohn Frets: 188
    edited February 23
    We have the same sort of thing through crooks pretending (very convincingly ) to be Parcel2Go. They claim the parcel is above the declared weight, wanting another £1.65 or so, plus and admin fee of a fiver. On checking, we find that the parcels were already delivered, and the claimed mis-declaration wouldn't put it into the next highest weight category. This sounds like the same sort of scam - if they were ransoming you to deliver to parcel, they wouldn't deliver it, it's because they aren't the delivery company, they aren't even the agent that you booked through.  The emails that these scammers send out look very convincing, with correct logos and tracking numbers, and we believe that the agencies are selling off customer and delivery details, or at least being hacked, and then a 3rd party tries to extort money illegally from you. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6302
    At this point, Interparcel are relying on intimidation and lack of human contact to wear you down. I sent thousands of packages by Interparcel and Parcel2Go. Sh*t likes this happens every now and then. The courier brokers are all the same. ISTM that their business model relies on most customers just giving up after poor service or theft/loss/fraud.

If you are not 100% sure about the package, then put it down to experience.

If you are sure, write to them via recorded delivery to the HQ and say that you will be willing to pay any agreed-to surcharge when they provide proof of over-size/weight. If they provide proof, then pay up, if not, then keep that letter for when any legal dispute arises.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Part of the reason I went back to Interparcel first was to make sure it wasn't a scam.  If it was a scam, I think the scammers would have replied much quicker that Interparcel actually did!

I got them to honor a early payment discount that had initially been offered and just paid it.

It gets more ridiculous though as, when I went to pay the fee, the system finally gave me some actual detail that the surcharge had arisen because of an issue with the packaging that meant it had to carried through the delivery depot.  It was in a good quality double walled cardboard box.

So Parcelforce somehow damaged the box and then charged me extra for the privilege!
  • CHrisP86 said:
    Interparcel want £25 from me and will only appeal this with Parcelforce if I have photos of the parcel next to a tape measure and a picture of it on the scales showing the weight.

They want something from you, so it's up to them to prove the charge is warranted; it's not for you to demonstrate that it is not.

And you can tell them that a photo is not proof either - not since 1987, when Photoshop came out - but add that you will be quite happy to knock such a picture up in Photoshop if it will make them happier whilst they feck off.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader
    I had this twice, both times was a large box going to Brazil, Tried to charge me £130 extra on each parcel. The first time my customer was able to take measurements and send them to me, the second time it happened I had photographic evidence I took before sending the parcel because of the previous issues. Seems someone at Parcel force does not know how to use a tape measure.

• Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    I had this twice, both times was a large box going to Brazil, Tried to charge me £130 extra on each parcel. The first time my customer was able to take measurements and send them to me, the second time it happened I had photographic evidence I took before sending the parcel because of the previous issues. Seems someone at Parcel force does not know how to use a tape measure.

I’ve a friend who’s working in Brazil for 18 months .
    He’s not received any parcels his family have sent him from the UK during his first year there.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27857
    Fingers657 said:

his family have sent him 
    so they say  ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2606
    tFB Trader

I’ve a friend who’s working in Brazil for 18 months .
    He’s not received any parcels his family have sent him from the UK during his first year there.
    I have had Royal Mail take 6 months before, But courier services are generally a couple weeks. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4056
    If they’ve delivered it already, tell them to prove it or get fucked!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never used Interparcel and I stopped using Parcel2Go when I realised they added no value to my shipping process and dealing with Royal Mail direct was easier and very reliable. I don't see the benefit of a middleman. If this was Royal Mail (and Parcelforce is different, even though Royal Mail owns it), I'd get in touch using the tracking number and ask them if there were any issues with your parcel. I've always found their help desk people to be, well, helpful. :-) 

Then, when they tell you there was no problem with the item, you can forget about it.