One at a time or all at once, 1st post edited for clarity.

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3182
edited March 1 in Guitar
Just changed the strings on one of mine and as normal , once all six were changed, cut all the ends off . Anyone do it differently?
What I meant was I change the strings one at a time , then once they are all changed , cut all the ends off, not, change one string cut end off , change next etc 
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Most of my guitars are Fender with vintage or F tuners, so have to cut as you fit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I always cut each one off as I do them - the long end gets in the way and annoys me otherwise.

But at least you're not one of those weirdos who just leaves them on to flap around like some sort of freaky whiskers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5933
    I always cut each one off as I do them - the long end gets in the way and annoys me otherwise.

But at least you're not one of those weirdos who just leaves them on to flap around like some sort of freaky whiskers.
    Leaving them on makes you cool and edgy. Apparently. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    Always all 6 off
    then oil/clean the fingerboard and polish the frets
    then re-string 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73140
    Always all six at once, combined with cleaning as guitars4you said. I cut each one after I fit it usually, otherwise they flap around and get in the way.

I also cut as close as physically possible to the post - the worst thing of all is to leave a bit of string sticking out, it's guaranteed to stab you and/or rip your gig bag.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:
    I always cut each one off as I do them - the long end gets in the way and annoys me otherwise.

For ultimate cool, impale a lit fag on the end so it bounces around like a nicotine Zebedee.
    To be fair, I do sort of get the "cool messy look" but I'm too afraid of sticking one in my eye. Like wearing sunglasses on stage, it works for other people (unless the sunglasses are to stop the flappy string ends poking you in the eye - but for me it just means I can't see the set list or my pedals - I'm not that cool :( )
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    Most of my guitars are Fender with vintage or F tuners, so have to cut as you fit.
    You mean you don't do the 41 windings method like I do  =)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:

For ultimate cool, impale a lit fag on the end so it bounces around like a nicotine Zebedee.
    To be fair, I do sort of get the "cool messy look" but I'm too afraid of sticking one in my eye. Like wearing sunglasses on stage, it works for other people (unless the sunglasses are to stop the flappy string ends poking you in the eye - but for me it just means I can't see the set list or my pedals - I'm not that cool :( )
    When they leave the ends on you can normally guarantee the rest of the fitting of the strings is like a dogs dinner!
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3137
    Ah, remember the old days being skint and keeping whole length coiled so you can take the old ones off and put them back in the packet for spares? Luxury these days to cut them at all. I must have gone up in world.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1660
    Most of my guitars are Fender with vintage or F tuners, so have to cut as you fit.
    You mean you don't do the 41 windings method like I do  =)
    I'm more of a 20 +/-18 windings man myself, circumstances and poor judgement prevailing..
  • I change 3 at a time, so half are still on there to keep the tension in the neck, unless I have to clean the fretboard which is a couple of times per year.

And I cut off the ends after each string as I go, really annoying with them flapping around, could have my eye out!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4651
    edited February 29
    coiled in a circle like Robbie Krieger used to do

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b9/77/c9/b977c95b81f2c8f2ef4a2faa5fedb719.jpg

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2592
    If I did one at a time I’d get distracted halfway by a butterfly and forget which ones I’d changed 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2181
    All at once. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3923
    All at once unless there’s a floating bridge like on a mandolin when I’ll do it one at a time. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    One at a time.

I have this horror of everything going BOING if I remove them all at once. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    All in one go, except on my Les Paul where I leave the bottom E on (slightly detuned). This holds the bridge and stop tail in place while I clean the finger board. I then put the top E on and remove the old low E so I can finish cleaning.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 685
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Litterick said:
    Rock a doodle do sounds like something from Smashy and Nicey
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    All at once, cut as I go