One at a time or all at once, 1st post edited for clarity.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    All at once. Only did one at a time on my Mustang as the trem was such a PITA that I tried to disturb it as little as possible! 
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    edited March 1
    Most of my guitars are Fender with vintage or F tuners, so have to cut as you fit.
    I change all at once too. I use round core strings so I bend the strings with pliers tightly just behind the nut to prevent them from unravelling after the cut. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 859
    edited March 1
    All in one go, except on my Les Paul where I leave the bottom E on (slightly detuned). This holds the bridge and stop tail in place while I clean the finger board. I then put the top E on and remove the old low E so I can finish cleaning.
    Why not just remove the bridge and stop tail while cleaning? 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    There's also the Michael Schenker approach, he doesn't seem to ever cut the ends of his strings.  Which is weird, considering he must have techs to change his strings for him, who must be specifically instructed not to cut them.  I'm surprised he still has both eyes.

Michael Schenker Artist Page  Dean Guitars
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2395
    DesVegas said:
    coiled in a circle like Robbie Krieger used to do

This guy is clearly an amateur though, he hasn't even tucked his lead through his strap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited March 1
    If I change them on an odd month (Jan, March etc) then I do the odd strings........then the even,  if I change the strings on an even month, I do the even strings first,  sometimes just for shits and giggles I do them all at once

unless its a full moon of course................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10615
    One string at a time, fit , cut, stretch and tune. Then move on to the next one. In this fashion it doesn't matter if it's floating locking trem or whatever. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    edited March 1
    While looking at John McEnro Robbie Krieger's really spidery fingers (never noticed that before), my attention was drawn to the guy in the yellow shirt among the sea of muted blues and dark colours.  That, and his apparently intent stare, makes him stick out like an obsessed stalker.

When I was starting out playing and wasn't very comfortable or confident changing strings I would remove one string at a time and straighten out the coily part, then hold it against the new string and bend that marginally longer than the old string so I knew how far to push it into the tuner.  My first "proper" electric was a 79 Strat with split posts, and I got it wrong a couple of times before I decided to measure string against string.  After about 6 string changes I was confident enough to gauge the amount of slack I needed.

These days if I need to clean the fretboard or do any fret work I remove all the strings, but I generally just change them one at a time on electrics and acoustics.  I always cut the string after I am happy I have the optimum number of winds down the post.  I can usually get it right but on an unfamiliar guitar I tend to err slightly on the side of too many winds just in case I need to unwind the string and pull it through the post a bit more if I ended up with too many winds.  About a third of my guitars now have locking tuners purely for ease of use rather than for tuning instability issues.  On them I usually go for over one complete wind and sometimes more so that I still have the ability to gain a bit of slack to splay the strings to work on a single troublesome fret or something like that.  I so rarely restring nylon-strung guitars these days that I invariably end up with more winds than I want as the strings keep stretching, and stretching, so I leave a bit of the string spare beyond the tuner capstan in case I need to unwind and pull some of the string through.
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 553
    dazzajl said:
    I always cut each one off as I do them - the long end gets in the way and annoys me otherwise.

But at least you're not one of those weirdos who just leaves them on to flap around like some sort of freaky whiskers.
    Leaving them on makes you cool and edgy. Apparently. 

I'm cool and edgy with guitars with modern tuners. Their gigbags are thankful for that.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1336
    Always all 6 off
    then oil/clean the fingerboard and polish the frets
    then re-string 
    Same routine. Can't stand the view of unpolished frets and dirt on fretboard. Even do it on my 6 year old's Harley Benton, he doesn't understand it yet though ;)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    Kurtis said:
    All in one go, except on my Les Paul where I leave the bottom E on (slightly detuned). This holds the bridge and stop tail in place while I clean the finger board. I then put the top E on and remove the old low E so I can finish cleaning.
    Why not just remove the bridge and stop tail while cleaning? 
    The only reason is to avoid disturbing the thumb wheels and inadvertently altering the set up.
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1610
    BillDL said:
    While looking at John McEnro Robbie Krieger's really spidery fingers (never noticed that before), my attention was drawn to the guy in the yellow shirt among the sea of muted blues and dark colours.  That, and his apparently intent stare, makes him stick out like an obsessed stalker.

Looks to me like he is carrying the young girl (in powder blue) through the crowd to offer as a sacrifice to Robbie (who has turned his back to contemplate whether to accept the proposition or donate to his deranged lead vocalist).