So purchased a nice acoustic - JWJ Orchestra Cutaway

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited March 4
    Wow very nice! 

I'm much more of an electric player than acoustic so I'm not sure I can really say much regarding the string tension thing... going down to 11s certainly feels quite a bit more manageable to me than 12s. 

I like silk and steel, but I can't remember if I noticed much difference in the tension! Sweeter/softer in tone, as you said.

Tuning down is worth a try, but it can affect the tone (maybe not with a capo, though, I don't use capos much!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Can't wait to hear a demo of this beast :)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    Wow very nice! 

I'm much more of an electric player than acoustic so I'm not sure I can really say much regarding the string tension thing... going down to 11s certainly feels quite a bit more manageable to me than 12s. 

I like silk and steel, but I can't remember if I noticed much difference in the tension! Sweeter/softer in tone, as you said.

Tuning down is worth a try, but it can affect the tone (maybe not with a capo, though, I don't use capos much!).
    You sound just like me
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Dave_Mc said:
    Wow very nice! 

You sound just like me
    LOL yeah I didn't even know silk and bronze existed till you mentioned it!

Just had another thought when I re-read your first post- you mentioned low tension strings. I'm not sure about acoustic, but round core strings often feel a bit slinkier, so they might be worth a try- assuming you can get them for acoustic!
    tFB Trader
    Dave_Mc said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    Wow very nice! 

You sound just like me
    LOL yeah I didn't even know silk and bronze existed till you mentioned it!

Just had another thought when I re-read your first post- you mentioned low tension strings. I'm not sure about acoustic, but round core strings often feel a bit slinkier, so they might be worth a try- assuming you can get them for acoustic!
    I’d forgotten about them but will try them - also now available as silk n bronze- believe a touch more tension- they don’t appear to last as long and less volume but for home not an issue 

Newtone are local to me and at Northampton show in a week or so , so will have a chat as their name keeps cropping up

Should have time tomorrow to put it on the bench and see how low I can get the action 
    edited March 5
    I’d forgotten about them but will try them - also now available as silk n bronze- believe a touch more tension- they don’t appear to last as long and less volume but for home not an issue 

Newtone are local to me and at Northampton show in a week or so , so will have a chat as their name keeps cropping up

Should have time tomorrow to put it on the bench and see how low I can get the action 
    Yeah the Newtone electric strings are great, especially the Lucidity ones which are probably the absolute best strings I've ever tried, but I haven't tried their acoustic (or bass) strings yet.

That's interesting about the slight added tension of the silk and bronze... I tend to prefer a slinkier feel. (That might be why I really like the Lucidity electric strings, they're round core I think, though I have tried other round cores too and I still think the Lucidities were a step up from them.)
    tFB Trader
    So quick update - starting to get there

For now it is still strung as it was, with Elixir 12's - But have taken down the action - Using the simple rule that 2mm shaved off the saddle is 1mm lower at the 12th fret - The nut was already cut to perfection - With a lower 'PRS' style action it is so much easier for me to handle

12's still feel like I'm picking telegraph wires - But a) will stay as is for a few days and b) try an Eb tuning

But have order 2 sets of Silk n Steel - 12 gauge and 11 gauge as my suspicion is these will be ideal 

So very promising so far - As it happens yesterday I had a regular customer in the shop - Showed it to him and let him have a play - This was before I made any adjustments - he said wow what a slinky action - Just goes to show how different we are - but he is use to playing 2 old vintage Gibson's 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Interesting and further update - I know 2 days with a new guitar doesn't answer all your thoughts and questions

I haven't mastered 12 gauge and don't think I will - But with a far lower action I can tolerate them - Especially if doodling around with chord work, blues shuffles/licks etc - But struggling when I'm playing my poor 'versions' of any jazz/classic in the style of Tony Emmanuel etc - Such a guitar is far less forgiving than an electric, but that is good as it gives you something to work towards as you try to improve your technique - Who needs to learn a new song when you can work out how to play the ones you know better 

However the interesting point is that 10-46 now feel to thin on my electrics - No meat on the Low E/A/D when doing those shuffle bass lines - Something I've been aware of for a while and have tried 10.5 to 52 on a few guitars and like them  - Just re-strung my fav PRS with 10-5-52 and instantly feels better - So I've moved up a touch on electrics - Still think I'll end up silk n steel (certainly as a test drive) on the acoustic , but will need to try both 11 and 12 gauge to see which wins
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited March 8
    if you can "tolerate them"  now,   you will master them.   Even more so if your leccy 10s are feeling "light"

trust me.

I can sometimes play only leccy for just a short period,  couple or three weeks, and going back to acoustic can be a "trial"  but it lasts for just a few minutes, or maybe a day.

Like you, I feel 10s are too light for a short scale,  I like to use 10.5s on me LP,   11s are just too far.   10s on a Fender scale is fine.

It sounds weird,  but I can (feel like) bend/vib  12s on an acoustic better than I can 11s on a LP !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    Wow good news @guitars4you , a low action definitely helps! My Dowina has a very low action, and it has 12s, and pretty much like you, it means I can tolerate them.
    tFB Trader
    Well nearly 4 weeks later and I've not yet re-strung it - Still on 12's and my level of tolerating them has gone up - To be fair it has been at Eb for 2 weeks or so now and happy with that as it 'drops the tension' - I am struggling a bit with a 54 gauge bottom E - like hitting a telegraph wire - But use to a 52 low E on an electric

So for now I'm looking at trying a set of low tension 11-52 at regular E pitch

Whilst I had it in my head that I will try to play all my electric songs on the acoustic, the phrasing/tone/feel does not always work - ie Girl from Ipanema so will have to kind of re-do it somehow - But loving the journey so far 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Well that didn't work - Was talking a few weeks ago about trying a set of silk n steel strings - Trying to take some of the tension away and after reading a few other comments, on other forums, I thought they might be worth a try - Previous gauge was 12-54 so went for 11-52 on silk n steel - A) they sound pure garbage - dead and lifeless B) I had kind of managed to tolerate 12-54 gauge and still feel 11-52 might be the option

Next to try is 11-52 low tension - Probably Newtone but at the back of my mind I'm wondering if low tension 12-54 might be the answer 

Interesting that I've moved up to either 11-49 or 10.5-52 on all my electrics as 10-46 feel to skinny now after playing the acoustic 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom