Favourite guitar shops?

What's Hot

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3344
    edited April 12
    From the past, Chandler Guitars (Kew) and Gigsounds (Streatham).

Now, Guitar Guitar (Epsom) have been very good to me and for me, as have Andertons, Charlie Chandlers and Coda
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 856
    My favourite/local guitar shop closed just before Christmas :-1: 

Went to the other guitar shop for a TRS short cable for my pedalboard. Shortest they had was 3m and straight jacks.  

Will have to drop into Anderton's when I am that way next :anguished: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5106
    prowla said:
    Coda Music.
    Coda Music.
    Coda Music.
    Coda. 
    Another vote for Coda.
    Coda is ace. No other comments

Interesting re. Coda
    I've been there a few times but not seen anything interesting; the last time I went to Stevenage North I didn't go in.
    I like tatty old basses, parts, oddments, projects, so I accept that I may not be their target clientele.
    Coda gets my vote too. Basses are not their thing, nor odds and sods, so it’s not surprising that you don’t find what you want there. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    Whitecat said:

Guitar Village in Farnham has very nice stuff and great staff but it’s a slightly “stuffier” experience
    ..if you consider visiting a 'frozen in time' insight to a medieval Long House stuffy...!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Whitecat said:

Guitar Village in Farnham has very nice stuff and great staff but it’s a slightly “stuffier” experience
    ..if you consider visiting a 'frozen in time' insight to a medieval Long House stuffy...!

I've been there a few times and it can be an adventure finding some of the rooms.
    Things there always seem to be a bit overpriced to me.
    There's no parking at the shop, but there's a large Waitrose car park up a road a block or so back towards the town cente.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5007
    prowla said:
    Coda Music.
    Coda Music.
    Coda Music.
    Coda. 
    Another vote for Coda.
    Coda is ace. No other comments

Interesting re. Coda
    I've been there a few times but not seen anything interesting; the last time I went to Stevenage North I didn't go in.
    I like tatty old basses, parts, oddments, projects, so I accept that I may not be their target clientele.
    Coda gets my vote too. Basses are not their thing, nor odds and sods, so it’s not surprising that you don’t find what you want there. 

Aye, but there is a decent Turkish restaurant towards the end of the road (don't eat too much bread though, as they just keep them coming and you realise you've overdone it when the mains arrive!).
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 338
    I was spoilt growing up with Hanwell a few miles away & Denmark street 30 mins on the tube.

Denmark street still has some browsing value, but the pricing on 2nd hand gear is outrageous.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9814
    prowla said:

There's no parking at the shop, but there's a large Waitrose car park up a road a block or so back towards the town cente.
    Fortunately (or unfortunately from Mrs9000’s POV) my son’s gaff is only a ten minute walk from GV.

YMMV
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 91
    Another vote for Coda!
  • LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 102
    edited March 5
    Peach Guitars - Essex.
    Sixty Sixty - Denmark street
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 639
    Coda are fantastic. Best in the UK bar none.

GG are the best of the big chains. Tend to have a good secondhand selection and dedicated rooms to try stuff out in a bit of peace.

Andertons is usually fun, particularly the high end room. Their secondhand descriptions online leave much to be desired. Often good in-store discounts you won't see on the website. Avoid weekends if you want to have a bit of space to try stuff out.

Guitar Village - lovely building, but the experience is highly dependent on the mercurial nature of "The Boss" on whatever day you go. After my last experience I won't be back. Also overpriced.

Heard Peach are really good but no direct experience.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3695
    I'll put in a vote for GG in Epsom.

The staff there are always friendly and really helpful. 
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 427
    Another vote for Coda here. NoTom are the best on Denmark St imo. I've always had good experiences with Peach but haven't been in for a while.
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 658
    edited March 5
    GAK have excellent shops in Brighton that are worth a visit.
    Guitar Guitar in Camden is also worth a visit.
    The Legendary Mkaris historic music store left London and is now in Haywards Heath Sussex.
    Deffo one to visit if you’ve not already.

• LessPaulLessPaul Frets: 102
    edited March 5
    mo6020 said:
    Another vote for Coda here. NoTom are the best on Denmark St imo. I've always had good experiences with Peach but haven't been in for a while.
    No Tom’s a great shout, but your going to need a healthy wallet.
  • 1Strat2many1Strat2many Frets: 55
    Kent, and SE london, near me is a Desert these days compared to a few decades ago. I tend to shop nowadays when on Holiday in and around East Sussex or Dorset, Bonners in Eastbourne has been great for me for many years and Oasis in Ringwood. Also Absolute Music was a good experience puchase-wise and for browsing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    LessPaul said:
    mo6020 said:
    No Tom’s a great shout, but your going to need a healthy wallet.
    Yes, very much so. They are alright with you going in and playing pretty much anything, but the leave your cards at home if you don't have the capability to resist your compulsions in there... I speak from experience  :#

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kent, and SE london, near me is a Desert these days compared to a few decades ago. I tend to shop nowadays when on Holiday in and around East Sussex or Dorset, Bonners in Eastbourne has been great for me for many years and Oasis in Ringwood. Also Absolute Music was a good experience puchase-wise and for browsing.
    Oasis and Absolute are both decent. I always try and pop in there when I'm back home in Dorset (which isn't as frequently as I'd like).

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2590
    I am nowhere near this shop but I get posts on FB from AMP Guitars in Macclesfield and they always have interesting stuff for sale. I also regularly pop into Guitar Classics in Battersea in my lunch "hour", but this has just closed for a refurb. Again, like AMP, has really interesting stock.
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 455
    I would have said Noiseworks in Coventry (pretty slim pickings around here) but as he's closing the shop to focus on repairs and building, it won't be around for much longer.