NGD: What I bought at the Brum Show (Gibson haters worst nightmare)

What's Hot
YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1194
edited March 4 in Guitar
I wasn't going to do the NGD post, but everyone else is showing off what they bought at The Guitar Show so I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.

Was 50/50 going into the show whether I was going to spend any money. I know I needed a solid body guitar with humbuckers. The best tones I have got with the new band have been with a 335-alike, but I also get the dreaded feedback, so wanted something solid body.

The PMT booth had a used PRS Starla that was quite nice, but the booth was busy so I said I'd come back and try it later. A few hours later I wandered back intent on trying that PRS, but at the back of the booth I saw a Gibson headstock with a low price tag attached. I knew what it might've been.

I plugged it into the Kemper they had there, A/Bed it against the PRS, and fell in love with this Gibson. I took my debit card out and bought it there and then. I know the long-haired bloke who was working the booth (he's sold me a lot of stuff over the years, and we bonded over a shared love of Pro Wrestling) - and he did me a decent deal on it and threw in a gig bag and some other bits and pieces. So Jamie - thank you.

What did I buy you ask? Well its a 2017 "S Series" Gibson Les Paul Custom Special. I had originally mistaken it for the M2 Melody Maker from the same line, but the covered humbuckers apparently makes this the most "upmarket" of the S Series guitars. It's janky, some would call it ugly even, but I love the look of it, it's set up perfectly and after giving it a bash with the band yesterday, it fits the plethora of grunge, pop punk and indie tunes that we cover perfectly. It sounds fantastic too.

I'm quite smitten, regardless of what it says on the headstock. These S-series guitars got a lot of hate when they first came out - I think in part because 2017 was peak Gibson hater meme era - but my early impressions of this guitar are very positive. At under £300 I have a made in Nashville Gibson guitar, nitro finished, plays good, feels good, sounds good and (to me at least) looks fantastic, very punk rock.

"This thread is pointless without pics!" Ok... here you go.

Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
0reaction image LOL 31reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    edited March 4
    I see nothing wrong there, enjoy
    Looks really nice, always worth putting a set of locking studs on wraparound bridges, makes a noticeable difference 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 433
    Before I put my reading glasses on I saw this as something you found at the back of the PRS stand. Was this their idea of a shonky Gibson they could use to show off how good PRSs are I wondered? Like one of those computer benchmarks where SUN used to brag about how their latest chip was X times faster than something IBM brought out 10 years ago. (yes I know SUN doesn't exist any more)

If it plays how you like then good for you. I keep seeing it modded to have the yin/yang thing on it but that's just persistence of vision.

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16377
    I like that. If I ever put the ska band back together that would be ideal. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23597
    It's cool, I like sort-of-ugly but functional guitars and I'm a fan of scratchplates, they give you that flexibility to mess around with the electronics and add (or subtract) controls if you want to. 

Do you know if the bridge is original?  I have a feeling these came with one-piece wraparounds rather than adjustable ones.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    I like it too  ;)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384
    Really like that - no-nonsense rock machine. Like @Philly_Q I did wonder about the bridge too.

Happy new guitar day, it's a belter.
  • YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1194
    edited March 4
    Just found this - the serial numbers match! The only difference is I paid about half of that

From what I can see of others (like below) the bridge and pickups are stock?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4687
    Nowt wrong with that at all.  Is that a maple neck?  A bit of added robustness on a gigging guitar is no bad thing.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nowt wrong with that at all.  Is that a maple neck?  A bit of added robustness on a gigging guitar is no bad thing.

It is a maple neck with thick slab of rosewood board. It's disputed whether the bodies on them are poplar, maple or mahogany, and I guess I'd have no means to check without some digging (not that I can tell what wood is what even being able to see the grain). But yes, the maple neck is what I immediately bonded with - the whole guitar feels remarkably like a Telecaster.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4384

Yep, spot on. That's that question answered!

I like the look of the forearm contour too - my own Les Paul is great, I love it, but I do get a bit of aggro in the forearm if I've been playing Strats for a while beforehand.
    Just found this - the serial numbers match! The only difference is I paid about half of that

Right enough!  I guess it's so rare for them to use that Badass-style bridge that I just assumed it would be a replacement.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 822
    I could imagine Joan Jett playing one of these, which makes it Very Cool Indeed
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I just remembered they were available in a rather fetching shade of green.  I did consider buying one at the time, only the slim taper neck put me off.

Gibson S Series Les Paul Custom Special 2017  Reverb
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4687
    Indeed.  Have a Wis.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• YellowLedBetterManYellowLedBetterMan Frets: 1194
    edited March 4

I said when I was trying it, it reminded me a bit of her Epiphone signature (Olympia or something?). Its definitely that punky vibe anyway - a Blooz Lawyer/Dentists guitar it most certainly is not.
    Philly_Q said:
    I just remembered they were available in a rather fetching shade of green.  I did consider buying one at the time, only the slim taper neck put me off.
    I nearly bought one of the sky blue M2s when they first launched, but ended up joining a band as a bassist so put guitar on hold for a while. It's why I recognised it and mistook it for an M2 originally - I think just the arm contour (or lack thereof) and pickups are what separate the models.

I said when I was trying it, it reminded me a bit of her Epiphone signature (Olympia or something?). Its definitely that punky vibe anyway - a Blooz Lawyer/Dentists guitar it most certainly is not.
    I had to look that up.... Olympic Special.  Quite clever of them, they've basically copied the specs of her white 1965(?) Melody Maker - definitely not an Epiphone - but used a similar, not identical, Epiphone model's shape and name.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14759
    randella said:
    I like the look of the forearm contour.
    Reminds me of the Sonex.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1199
    Congrats and welcome to the LP Special club. That's a cracking looking guitar, and I can't believe you paid under £300!
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 432
    I really like this, and what a bargain. Congrats. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 919
    edited March 4
    Very nice - I like that (should be yellow though, although black is the next best).
    sweepy said:

always worth putting a set of locking studs on wraparound bridges, makes a noticeable difference 

What's the advantage of that then? Is it just that the bridge doesn't fall off when you're restringing or is there some other benefit? Only asking because my most-used guitar is a Melody Maker Special so your comment makes me wonder (although I don't have any problem with the existing bridge setup tbh)