NGD: What I bought at the Brum Show (Gibson haters worst nightmare)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 277

55 seconds in I spy something familiar...
    3 minutes in, I spy me at the Boss stand

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    I love the look of these, although I’ve never played one. The maple neck is a huge plus, and even more so if it’s slim, for me.

I had a bad feeling you were going to say you’d bought a Sonex, but ludicrously you couldn’t buy one of those for as little as that now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1284
    edited March 6
    Anybody else getting a bit of an L6-S vibe from this or is it just me,,,?

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    IMG_0534.jpeg 136.3K
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    For under £300 that is a steal. Congratulations 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73068
    JayGee said:
    Only from the smooth-covered pickups really, but that isn't a bad thing. L6-Ss actually sound pretty good, I had one about thirty years ago.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22574
    That looks bloody superb. Bargain price, great guitar. 100% win. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23658
    ICBM said:
    JayGee said:
    Only from the smooth-covered pickups really, but that isn't a bad thing. L6-Ss actually sound pretty good, I had one about thirty years ago.
    I think the L6-S and L5-S were pretty cool-looking guitars, and very much of their time - they're not going to reappear in the Gibson product line any time soon.  But I can't quite get over that weirdly wide body shape.
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    @sweepy @Mike58 @Philly_Q Thanks - it doesn't bother me that the bridge comes off easily (in fact it's quite convenient for cleaning the dust from under it). I'm not really worried about the slight tilt either - well not £40 worried anyway. I have thought about making some horse-shoe shaped shims out of washers to wedge the bridge a bit tighter but it's been ten years now and I still haven't got round to it so I doubt it'll ever happen :) 

A cheap fix which I used on my Hofner Shorty is to use e-rings:

Much easier than cutting up washers. That's if you can be bothered after ten years!
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DartmoorHedgehogDartmoorHedgehog Frets: 922
    edited March 8
    InactiveX said:
    @sweepy @Mike58 @Philly_Q Thanks - it doesn't bother me that the bridge comes off easily (in fact it's quite convenient for cleaning the dust from under it). I'm not really worried about the slight tilt either - well not £40 worried anyway. I have thought about making some horse-shoe shaped shims out of washers to wedge the bridge a bit tighter but it's been ten years now and I still haven't got round to it so I doubt it'll ever happen  

A cheap fix which I used on my Hofner Shorty is to use e-rings:

Much easier than cutting up washers. That's if you can be bothered after ten years!
    That's actually a really good idea - I'll have a dig around in the pots of random stuff in the garage - not sure how much chance of having two of the right diameter AND the right thickness but who knows...

I don't know why they don't just make the bridge/tailpiece fit the posts in the first place though - surely it wouldn't be that hard!
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    My Hofner needed just one e-ring for each post, placed under the bridge. The e-rings I (mis)used are the same diameter as the slotted tops of the posts.

The bridge is now nice and flat. I'm afraid I don't have a working camera though otherwise I'd take pics.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters