JMJM sacrilege to swap pickguard?

What's Hot
spev11spev11 Frets: 420
So I've recently bought a J Mascis JM (despite not enjoying the previous 40th Anniversary JM I had last year).
I like the pickups, no other issues with it but I really do not like the anodized gold pickguard. Am I going to find a pitchfork wielding mob outside my door if I change the pickguard for something less bling? ( I won't be "swapping it out" as I'm not American  ;) )
If you agree make a suggestion as to what colour, If you disagree then tell me why ? I'll probably not agree but It's nice to hear from everyone.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 473
    To be honest, I think it's probably the first thing that most owners change.

I'd go for mint or parchment colour, maybe black.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5913
    Black is always a safe choice but a good tort could look really nice on there. Not the mushy brownish looking stuff but deep reds and life to it. 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    edited March 5
    Not at all....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    4-ply brown tort for the win.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 420
    Off I scurry to find a nice tort guard
  • JJ72JJ72 Frets: 63
    edited March 6
    Barrie Cadogan uses a JMJM here with a mint green guard.

I have the same colour guard onmynOlympic white CV60s Jazzmaster and love the look
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    edited March 6
    It's your guitar, not his or anyone else's.

If you want a slab of corned beef on it, go for it. I'd go brushed black, or black pearl. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    It's your guitar, nit his or anyone else's.

If you want a slab of corned beef on it, go for it. If go brushed black, or black pearl. 
    I really fancy a corned beef sarnie with a bit of brown sauce on it now
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1423
    Big time go for it.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    edited March 6
    The short answer is yes. The guitar is an homage to one of J's favourite Jazzmasters. If it's good enough for J it's good enough for you or anyone else. Someone on The Gear Page says it reduces hum so it must be true. You must leave it the same or sell it. If you do then you are clearly not a fan of J or even a real guitarist!
    I've got one and it's all original (apart from the pickups, tuners, bridge, tremolo, tremolo arm and collet).

Link to my trading feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    No pitchforks necessary.

FWIW, my 40th anniversary JM had an anodised pick guard and I thought it looked shit. I’ve replaced it with a BWB and I think it looks better. However, other people may have different tastes.
    Your guitar… do what you feel.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

I'll be honest I was just prodding to gather opinions, i'm really trying to decide between Tort and BWB :)
    Purple anodised would look ace.
    The short answer is yes. The guitar is an homage to one of J's favourite Jazzmasters. If it's good enough for J it's good enough for you or anyone else. Someone on The Gear Page says it reduces hum so it must be true. You must leave it the same or sell it. If you you do then you are clearly not a fan of J or even a real guitarist!
    I've got one and it's all original (apart from the pickups, tuners, bridge, tremolo, tremolo arm and collet).

I love the pitchfork picture but I can t tell if your serious or not so I'll assume your not and are just prodding me back  =)
    I'm not a big fan really of J.Mascis (I like bits and pieces) but I like the spec of the guitar. 

Sporky said:
    Purple anodised would look ace.
    ooooo now we are talking, or maybe sparkly green? I forsee an evening of photoshopping
    I do like sparkly green, but I'm not sure if it'd go. Worth finding out though... 

Bing Image creator to the rescue
    OIG2.jpeg 217.1K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    spev11 said:
    The short answer is yes. The guitar is an homage to one of J's favourite Jazzmasters. If it's good enough for J it's good enough for you or anyone else. Someone on The Gear Page says it reduces hum so it must be true. You must leave it the same or sell it. If you you do then you are clearly not a fan of J or even a real guitarist!

I love the pitchfork picture but I can t tell if your serious or not so I'll assume your not and are just prodding me back  =)
    I'm not a big fan really of J.Mascis (I like bits and pieces) but I like the spec of the guitar. 

Just an attempt at humour. Congratulations on the guitar. JMJM is fantastic
    Link to my trading feedback
    spev11 said:

Bing Image creator to the rescue
    Yes. Very yes. 

But do purple too! 
    spev11 said:

Just an attempt at humour. Congratulations on the guitar. JMJM is fantastic
    always worth checking cos you never know when pitchforks are real :)
     I was roundly abused once for daring to fit modern components to a 70s road bike frame so you never know (didnt bother me then)