London yoofs

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12464
    edited March 12
    I lived in Tottenham c.1984-1991 - for those of you who know it, Bruce Grove to be precise.  I lost count of the number of times I stumbled out of Seven Sisters tube station late at night, pissed as a rat, and weaved my way back up Tottenham High Road.  Never threatened, mugged, assaulted or otherwise hassled.  As I recall, knife crime was comparatively rare by today's standards - it certainly wasn't in the news like it is today.  Would I stagger that same route home late at night today (even if I was still a relatively fit twenty-something)?  You bet I wouldn't.  That said I think everyone is more aware of the risks these days but rough as Tottenham was back then, the level of risk wasn't the same.

Now Edmonton on the other hand... :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Weaver85Weaver85 Frets: 93
    edited March 12
    Someone mentioned they felt safe in scandi countries. I have to agree, I was in Sweden for a good while and never felt under threat walking around at night. That could be the result of decades worth of social emasculation reinforced by a left leaning government and media to create a Borg like mentality, where all 'toxic' masculine instincts are tamed in the name of equality. 

Edit; this is partly tongue in cheek guys, easy on the lols. Actually the Swedes themselves parody this aspect of their culture. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12464
    Weaver85 said:
    Someone mentioned they felt safe in scandi countries. I have to agree, I was in Sweden for a good while and never felt under threat walking around at night. 
    Just got back from a long weekend in Oslo.  Felt totally safe walking around whatever time of day or night.  Only encountered one shouty, pissed twat.  Want to guess his nationality?  Yep... 

Not too sure what you're driving at re. 'social emasculation' though.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4695
    I just think the Vikings got it all out of their system years ago.
    Difference is down to quality of education. Good social networks and good future job prospects. And hanging around naked in Saunas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23543
    edited March 12
    I thought of this thread this evening, when some twat got on the train at Clapham Junction and played what sounded like Portuguese rap/dance music on his phone at maximum volume, whilst "singing" along.  He got off after two stops, but it was a long two stops.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16272
    Offset said:
    I lived in Tottenham c.1984-1991 - for those of you who know it, Bruce Grove to be precise.  I lost count of the number of times I stumbled out of Seven Sisters tube station late at night, pissed as a rat, and weaved my way back up Tottenham High Road.  Never threatened, mugged, assaulted or otherwise hassled.  As I recall, knife crime was comparatively rare by today's standards - it certainly wasn't in the news like it is today.  Would I stagger that same route home late at night today (even if I was still a relatively fit twenty-something)?  You bet I wouldn't.  That said I think everyone is more aware of the risks these days but rough as Tottenham was back then, the level of risk wasn't the same.

Now Edmonton on the other hand... :-)
    Yes , Edmonton N18 is truly awful and dangerous .........I have to go to Wood Green and Edmonton tomorrow .
    I'm starting in Palmers Green ,which is now the capial of Albania but it's pretty safe compared to Edmonton