London yoofs

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24429
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh here we go.....  How did I "assume they should respect me right off the bat" ?  What part of my story had you come to that conclusion?
    If I have to explain then don't worry about it.  The statement "respect is earned" is massive because it goes both ways doesn't it.  I think what you meant to write is "MY respect is earned".

All you need to do is look back at that night and when you started this thread and check whether you showed them respect that you expected from them.  If your conscience is clear then good for you.

Here's a hint of one instance I can see right off the bat though.  Automatically assuming they were carrying knives and bringing their hairstyles into this like it's relevant to the story isn't respectful either.  Your version is actually packed with negative assumptions and stereotypes.  Just saying.  And I'm not one of these London "yoofs" as you creatively referred to them as so I've no reason to defend them because you're right - they did act like louts.  But you're not exactly being respectful either    
    Ah, the "If I have to explain it then I won't (because I can't)" excuse !  A classic, no less - used by many on the internet over the years whose mouths write cheques their brains can't cash.

To dismantle your lamentably poor argument - I was in no way disrespectful to them.  I didn't comment on their behaviour.  I moved my leg to make way for rude boy as soon as I was aware he wanted to sit next to me.  I showed them far FAR more respect than they showed me or anyone else on that train.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    drofluf said:

Offset said:
    I think it's by Thomas Dolby.
    My minor claim to fame is that I was at school with him (well at the same school but he was several years ahead of me) when he was plain old Thomas Robinson. 
    That was clearly before he had the noise reduction.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 874
    drofluf said:

Offset said:
    I think it's by Thomas Dolby.
    My minor claim to fame is that I was at school with him (well at the same school but he was several years ahead of me) when he was plain old Thomas Robinson. 
    That was clearly before he had the noise reduction.
    The quieter the better in my opinion :)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • ewalewal Frets: 2605
    edited March 7
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oh here we go.....  How did I "assume they should respect me right off the bat" ?  What part of my story had you come to that conclusion?
    If I have to explain then don't worry about it.  The statement "respect is earned" is massive because it goes both ways doesn't it.  I think what you meant to write is "MY respect is earned".

All you need to do is look back at that night and when you started this thread and check whether you showed them respect that you expected from them.  If your conscience is clear then good for you.

Here's a hint of one instance I can see right off the bat though.  Automatically assuming they were carrying knives and bringing their hairstyles into this like it's relevant to the story isn't respectful either.  Your version is actually packed with negative assumptions and stereotypes.  Just saying.  And I'm not one of these London "yoofs" as you creatively referred to them as so I've no reason to defend them because you're right - they did act like louts.  But you're not exactly being respectful either    
    Ah, the "If I have to explain it then I won't (because I can't)" excuse !  A classic, no less - used by many on the internet over the years whose mouths write cheques their brains can't cash.

To dismantle your lamentably poor argument - I was in no way disrespectful to them.  I didn't comment on their behaviour.  I moved my leg to make way for rude boy as soon as I was aware he wanted to sit next to me.  I showed them far FAR more respect than they showed me or anyone else on that train.
    You then came on here seething and ranting disproportionately, in a way that basically exposed your lack of respect for a significant proportion of the population.

Bloody feral youths with their parents who either don't care or don't exist. It wasn't like that in my day etc... Blah, blah, blah... 

Edited to add:  ;) I really don't care. Hope you've got over it and your feeling better.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 802
    Kurtis said:
    Sounds like the Sex Pistols in 1977
    Sounds like kids messing around. 
    "Just kids having fun" - this is how the scene should have played out if there were any justice in the universe!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3583
    Lock em all up I say, send em all ooorf t' army, make men ov em, bloody yoofs, dont know what side ther bread be buttered on.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    Yep - that's about it!

The thing is, people take the piss out of old folk coming out with stuff like that as if they don't know what they're talking about - but maybe it's because they've lived longer and experienced more that they are better qualified to come to these conclusions.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3050
    Emp_Fab said:
    Yep - that's about it!

The thing is, people take the piss out of old folk coming out with stuff like that as if they don't know what they're talking about - but maybe it's because they've lived longer and experienced more that they are better qualified to come to these conclusions.
    Yep, and they are part of this world and their opinions welcome. 

Doing door-to-door, I meet about 500 people a week, 10-20% over the age of 65 I guess. I don't think I have met one yet who thinks today's world is better than the one of their pasts.

Plenty of cock-ups seemingly in the world their generations created for us, but their wisdom should also guide us on how to put it right and prevent those cock ups again. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16152
    Strange viewpoint......
     Two fine ,strong Bulls ,a young one and an older one ,are stood on a high hillside pasture looking down upon a field of young heifers brought out to graze on the lush Spring grass of the valley below .......
    "Quick" shouts the young bull 
    "Lets run down the mountain and fuck some of those young Heifers "
    "Wait" ,says the Older Bull
    "Let's WALK down and Fuck the lot of them " !

it must be a complete accident ,then, that in all societies throughout evolution that Elders have been valued for their 'wisdom' whether that is tweedy old professors in cloistered University Quads ,tribal villages in the middle of Africa or S American jungles or simply a certain amount of deference to a Patriarchal/Matriarchal figure in an extended functional family /Club Society.It's more than a Greco-Roman protocol that existed at least since 4000 years earlier but the symposium of Plato or Aristotle needs no place here ? 
    I think the woes of each generation are merely the legacies of the ones that came before and not attributable to the Septugenarians of the present.
     "If I only knew then what I know now " is an oft heard adage ........
     Granted ,there is a short twilight period between the sprouting of the first grey hairs and the crusty befuddlement of later years but much good grace and wisdom to be found.
    To harness the enthusiasm and energy of the young with the experience and measured wisdom of the grey-bearded is a potent formula and will always be so.
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 874
    edited March 8
    I remember often turning to the older gent in the showroom next door for advice, he seemed to be incredibly knowledgeable and wise. This naturally creates a level of respect and connection, but I believe this has now been eroded to a degree. Now, when a person needs answers or advice they often turn to google, in my opinion, sadly this wisdom of the older generation doesn't hold the same level of value(and therefore respect) it once did. 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    one thing is absolutely without argument,every old person was once young themselves.  Without care or responsibility  and probably caused the same amount of anguish, in relative terms, to their "seniors" and then through the trials of life, their experience, their  mindset and outlook changes somewhat. 

However,  sadly not every young person will grow to be old, and follow that same journey that will take them, in 40 or 50 years time,  to the same place

Youth is wasted on the young,  and experience on the old !!
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11346
    Some things are better today, some things are worse. I would imagine that's been true for many years.

When I was young kids would almost always offer their seat to an older person on public transport. I rarely see that these days.

We've lost common courtesy, and replaced it with finger pointing and snarling. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1457
    A drunk on the tube late at night from Earls Court to Parsons Green in 1974
    Rod Stewart has fucked the faces,
    over and over  =)

I see Van Morrison hasn't changed.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13570
    scrumhalf said:

We've lost common courtesy, and replaced it with finger pointing and snarling. 

and litigation
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 739
    edited March 8
    At the same time, after the fall of communism in eastern Europe a lot of the older people thought it was better the way it was. 
    ...and stabbing.  Don't forget the stabbing!

The thing is, my generation created the parents of the feral kids, so ultimately, the Boomers are to blame for creating useless Gen X/Millennial parents who let their kids turn into Generation Shitbags.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 8
    Bring back the borstels! 

Glasgow was much safer during the time of the "razor gangs".
    They were more into slashing than stabbing.

Some old people seem to live in a fantasy world.
    Scared shirtless of change and the people that are changing. 
    edited March 8
    Things were absolutely not better in the seventies. I grew up in the 80s and while I have a lot of nostalgia for that time I am very glad my son is growing up now.

And no he's not a feral twat, thank you.

Got to pick a pocket or twoooo.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    Emp_Fab said:
    I had the pleasure of visiting my old home of Londinium yesterday.  Last night I took the DLR from Royal Albert to Tower Gateway.  A couple of stops later, three teenagers get on, all braids and shaved patterned hair, about 13-15, two of them throw themselves onto the seats opposite me and the 'Alpha' yoof remains standing staring at me in silence with a look I can only describe as a mixture of utter contempt and disbelief.  I then realised I was manspreading a bit and my right leg was an inch over the dividing line between the seats.  I moved my leg and he sat down next to me.  The train was maybe 10% full so there were plenty of empty seats.

The two younger feral scumbags then started to play-wrestle up and down the train, limbs missing passengers by centimetres etc.  They didn't care - at all - about anyone other than themselves.  The train belonged to them as far as they were concerned.  Nobody challenged them.  I got the distinct feeling that had anyone done so, they would have been subjected to threats and demands for "respec".

I was with two colleagues so I didn't feel intimidated, but still felt uneasy as it wouldn't have surprised me in the least if these kids were caught up in the knife-carrying culture of inner cities these days.

It was the complete and total lack of consideration for anyone at all that shocked me more than anything.  The look this kid gave me spoke volumes - he was clearly aghast that I hadn't automatically acquiesced to his imagined "authoritah".  

His attitude annoyed me so much I wanted to smack him one but at the same time I didn't want to get charged with assaulting a yoof or end up getting stabbed.

Quite an unpleasant experience overall - not just because of how it made me feel but also because of the fact that these feral twats exist and their parents clearly either don't exist or don't give a fuck.
    Put this in your satchel next time, just for peace of mind.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/262926/milwaukee-m18-fn18gs-18-gauge-nail-brad-gun-brand-new-used-once#latest

• SporkySporky Frets: 28674
    edited March 8
    Nah. I've long been an advocate of the cheese grater approach.

If threatened, brandish a cheese grater. You'd have to be a triple-hard bastard to go into a fight with a cheese grater. It's not a practical weapon. You'd be better off not having it. So the moment someone pulls a cheese grater on you you know you're going to lose. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom